Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me here. Does Jack look like a full blooded Jack Russell? His feet are different then our female jack/rat and he bit our other dog (Carolina Dog) who is a puupy. And he wouldn't let go.

This is our male Jack Russell who is 5 yrs old

This is our female jack/rat who is 3 yrs. old

Please let me know what you think.

Krista

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
Looks like a full blooded Jack to me.

And all terriers are known for prey-drive and tenacity; it's kind of what they do. As a result of that prey drive, even dogs who are okay with other adult dogs often aren't safe with puppies and kittens - too many quick movements and high pitched noises.

(P.S : I suspect you're asking if, because he went after the puppy he might have some pit in him. Pits are terriers, too. See everything above about drive and tenacity. That isn't going to tell you much. And Jacks are one of the dogs on that 'can you spot the pit' page for a reason. They have some similar features.)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think that's a poorly bred JRT. As for the biting, JRTs can be really dog aggressive and have super high prey drive. That's just what JRTs, and terriers in general, are.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Your pup is cute! :) All my Terrier mixes are high drive and never sit still. Eddee ... a Schnauzer mix ... has something he wants ( his "prize" as I call it) ... he clenches his teeth so hard I cannot get it out of his mouth. (we are working on this) He does not let go!!!

I adopted this girl and re-homed her due to her drive of other creatures. Even though I am familiar with Terriers ... she gets along with nothing but humans in general ... but is about 7 years old and I decided to not try and change her .... let her go to a single dog home and not live in constant anxiety trying to attack my other dogs. :)

I love them for their tenacity! :D

Lucy .... We think she is a Parsons Russel mix or a Jack/Rat. Who knows! Lol! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
It also sounds like there might be some bite inhibition work that needs to be done....but I know only a little.

I see this drive in Sacha- I kept telling my husband she would be a great ratter, and he saw it for the first time yesterday. We were up before the sun, and woke up the dogs while moving stuff around out of the closet and on to the motorcycle. We also woke up a mouse!

Bob, while interested, chased and played. Sacha, however, scurried around after the mouse, at one point catching her, tracked that mouse and 'stayed on the job' for 15 minuted after she lost the mouse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts