Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to go shopping with my parents...anywhere. I brought home a mini horse Saturday when my dad went to pick his up and I talked my stepmom into bringing home this girl today....

She comes from the same rescue that their lab puppy comes from and has been with them for the longest of any of the dogs they have in foster homes. She had been through 4 different fosters and the lady who runs the rescue could not figure out why! I can't either, she's absolutely the calmest, sweetest, most adorable dog ever! Probably the reason is she doesn't get excited, she's just sweet and was waiting for someone to notice her.

No issues with cats or dogs, loves people and kids, is potty trained and just the sweetest thing ever. She's so polite, she knows sit, come and even responded when I asked her for a down (the foster had never tried it, so they were surprised when I asked her and she did it!)

She fell asleep in my stepmom's arms on the ride home, just a sweet trusting soul. She's been introduced to all of the other dogs and is still a little timid around them but she's quickly figuring it out and played with most of them.

Here she is meeting my terriers...
and trying to figure out what Bogie was so interested in (my neighbors stopped by for a quick chat and had their little dog with them, he had to stand on his tippy toes to see it in their truck)

They were calling her a rat terrier mix, and I'm sure that's true but she's alot taller than my ratties and I swear her expressions sometimes look like a whippet. She also moves like a Whippet too and has a deep chest like a whippet but not quite the tuck that they do. All of which you can't see in these pics of course! I dunno, if ya'll can guess her breed from my crappy cell phone pics, but be my guest and give it try! I don't have a decent face shot of her yet but she has rose ears and a slightly flatter stop than any ratties I've ever seen with her nose just slightly shorter than a whippet's. I almost want to call her a smooth fox terrier/whippet cross vs a rattie mix. It doesn't really matter, Gosh is she sweet, whatever she is....

Oh, and her name is Gracie :D

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
She is adorable! Congratulations! ... Sorry you got grounded! Lol! :)

Isn't it amazing what treasures get thrown out? ......

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What a cute, happy little girl :) I d'no...maybe you should shop with your parents MORE often ;) hehe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL. Actually, I wanted stepmom to bring home 2! lol, there was an adorable small black puppy (and we know how hard it is to find black dogs a home) but I thought my dad would literally kill me or at least disown me, lol. Of course I probably should have just brought one home myself, lol. Hubby told me he was surprised when I didn't bring home 2 mini ponies, so he knows me well, lol, but we're getting ready to move and I don't think it's the best time to get another dog right now. Ponies will stay on the farm, no change there, lol.

We've discovered her big problem. It's probably why the fosters kept giving her up. It's not a huge problem, nothing we can't deal with but she's got a healthy dose of separation anxiety. I was in the bathroom and some people showed up at their house so they both went out to greet them. She thought she was alone and she was howling and I think I heard some scratching that was starting to reach panic levels. They couldn't hear her from outside, but I could since I was only in the bathroom. When she saw me walking out....oh my! She really thought she was alone and was about to really start panicking. Luckily stepmom works from home, just like I do and we've both dealt with similar before so we'll work her through this but I do believe that's why they had trouble with the fosters. The lady in charge didn't mention it (just that they gave poor excuses for not being able to foster and I really don't think she'd have omitted info about her, she was brutally honest about other dogs) and her newest foster told us she followed him everywhere and she even slept in his bed. I don't know that he ever left her alone in the week or so she had her. It sure didn't sound like it he had come across that problem and even if he had mentioned it we probably would have taken her home anyway.

Even so it's not a HUGE problem. She just gets very very worried. We haven't tried crating her yet. They'll start getting her used to it slowly so that if she does need to be left alone, she'll have a safe place. Plus this was only day one with them. Poor baby, with that many homes in the last couple of months I can't imagine why she wouldn't have an issue with being left behind!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts