Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, I have failed miserably at housebreaking the puppies.

Delilah was doing okay with no overnight accidents until we brought Onyx home. Now she was not fully housebroken yet, but then backtracked when he came home. Now she is 5.5 months, Onyx is just hitting 3 and I am cleaning up messes all the time. Onyx is particularily bad overnight. I potty them right before bed and again at 2 am, and between 2 am when he goes pee and 6 am when I wake up be poops 3-4 times on the livingroom floor. Delilah's prefered spot is my daughter's bedroom.

We do not crate train as this is a tiny house and the size of crates needed as they grow take up too much space, not to mention the barking I brought up in the other thread. I have tried tethering them to me, but with 1 of me, 6 kids and 2 puppies that would rather wrestle with each other and tangle my legs that is not working either.

I know that at this point it is me that is failing at this, they simply haven't been taught properly. Daytime they are getting better, at this point it is only pee accidents if I have gotten sidetracked with the kids and failed to notice the signs/time, Onyx still had 1 poop accident during the day usually but Delilah doesn't. Delilah usually has 1-2 poop accidents in the girl's room overnight, and Onyx has 3-4 in the livingroom. My daughter's carpet is being ripped out this week because I am tired of steam cleaning it. The livingroom gets down every other day and will be ripped out in August.

So how can I train them during the overnight period without crate training? Can it be done?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Okay folks, I have failed miserably at housebreaking the puppies.

Delilah was doing okay with no overnight accidents until we brought Onyx home. Now she was not fully housebroken yet, but then backtracked when he came home. Now she is 5.5 months, Onyx is just hitting 3 and I am cleaning up messes all the time. Onyx is particularily bad overnight. I potty them right before bed and again at 2 am, and between 2 am when he goes pee and 6 am when I wake up be poops 3-4 times on the livingroom floor. Delilah's prefered spot is my daughter's bedroom.

We do not crate train as this is a tiny house and the size of crates needed as they grow take up too much space, not to mention the barking I brought up in the other thread. I have tried tethering them to me, but with 1 of me, 6 kids and 2 puppies that would rather wrestle with each other and tangle my legs that is not working either.

I know that at this point it is me that is failing at this, they simply haven't been taught properly. Daytime they are getting better, at this point it is only pee accidents if I have gotten sidetracked with the kids and failed to notice the signs/time, Onyx still had 1 poop accident during the day usually but Delilah doesn't. Delilah usually has 1-2 poop accidents in the girl's room overnight, and Onyx has 3-4 in the livingroom. My daughter's carpet is being ripped out this week because I am tired of steam cleaning it. The livingroom gets down every other day and will be ripped out in August.

So how can I train them during the overnight period without crate training? Can it be done?
Bottom line? You have to find a way to confine them or keep your eyes on them. There is nothing stopping them going, or forming the association that they need to go out, when they can wander away from the area they are in to 'go'. Tether them at night (to you? Table leg? Something), use a tiny bathroom or, yeah, even in a tiny house try to find a way to get a crate. If you can't confine them when you can't watch them, you're probably NOT going to get them housebroken. Especialy now that the habit of going in the middle of the night, rather than waking you, has been formed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bottom line? You have to find a way to confine them or keep your eyes on them. There is nothing stopping them going, or forming the association that they need to go out, when they can wander away from the area they are in to 'go'. Tether them at night (to you? Table leg? Something), use a tiny bathroom or, yeah, even in a tiny house try to find a way to get a crate. If you can't confine them when you can't watch them, you're probably NOT going to get them housebroken. Especialy now that the habit of going in the middle of the night, rather than waking you, has been formed.
Crap. tethering to the table leg might work, then at least they will wake me up when they wake rather than sneaking off somewhere, or using the bathroom. We had a crate set up for a while for the oldest pup, but it took up 1/2 my entrance way and was the only place to put it, and that was just 1 crate, not 2 big ones, and I never succeeded in training oldest pup to use it. I only have 1000 sq ft for a family of 5 and run a home daycare, I am not sure where I could put the crate to use at night, without it causing serious issues of being in the way.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Crap. tethering to the table leg might work, then at least they will wake me up when they wake rather than sneaking off somewhere, or using the bathroom. We had a crate set up for a while for the oldest pup, but it took up 1/2 my entrance way and was the only place to put it, and that was just 1 crate, not 2 big ones, and I never succeeded in training oldest pup to use it. I only have 1000 sq ft for a family of 5 and run a home daycare, I am not sure where I could put the crate to use at night, without it causing serious issues of being in the way.
Waking you up when they need to go is the idea. It's a tough situation, for sure, but you can figure something out. (tethering to a door knob is something I did years ago with my pyr. Easy for a quick out and. I couldn't get a crate big enough for him in the house, way back then.) Just be sure there's nothing for them to get tangled on and that they have room to lie down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Waking you up when they need to go is the idea. It's a tough situation, for sure, but you can figure something out. (tethering to a door knob is something I did years ago with my pyr. Easy for a quick out and. I couldn't get a crate big enough for him in the house, way back then.) Just be sure there's nothing for them to get tangled on and that they have room to lie down.
If you had a Pyr then you know the size I am working with, though they are still pups, they are 1/2 pyr 1/2 lab, so even just as young pups they are a decent size and growing fast. The door knob might be an option too. They generally sleep in my bedroom and not have an accident in there. Hmm, tonight I will try just with the bedroom door closed. I generally keep it open so I can hear my kids in the other part of the house but they are gone to camps for a spell here, so I will try just closing them in with us, and if that doesn't work I will try tethering them in the kitchen. I am guaranteed to have my barker waking me up then. Geeze finally get through potty training all my kids and the daycare kids and now have to get through it with the dogs.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
If you had a Pyr then you know the size I am working with, though they are still pups, they are 1/2 pyr 1/2 lab, so even just as young pups they are a decent size and growing fast. The door knob might be an option too. They generally sleep in my bedroom and next have an accident in there. Hmm, tonight I will try just with the bedroom door closed. I generally keep it open so I can here my kids in the other part of the house but they are gone to camps for a spell here, so iw ill try just closing them in with us, and if that doesn't work I will try tethering them in the kitchen. I am guaranteed to have my barker waking me up then. Geeze finally get through potty training all my kids and the daycare kids and now have to get through it with the dogs.
Closing them in sounds like a good first step. If that works, you can always just put a baby monitor outside your door and the other in. You'll hear anything you would have with the door open, that way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wow, you have a lot on your plate!! I was just thinking, if they are small enough now, could you crate train them for a bit until they are better trained and grow up a little? Especially the 3 month old?it could be helpful for other situations, like the vet wher they may be in cages.perhaps playing with each other is really distracting them from learning to recognize that they need to go, so a little separation could be good?? It might be worth going around the crates a few months rather than cleaning the floor forever. It really is management the first while. At least big dogs=big bladders, and maybe they will hold it better soon.Don't feel like a failure, just keep at it. I know how you feel potty training a pup and a kid at the same time, but I think my two are just about getting it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts