Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey ran away. Im home alone with four sick kids...the dogs needed to go out, and we went out in the front yard, and they both came running back right at me...and at the porch, Zoey spun the other direction and took off, which she has NEVER done before. Ziva took off after her....Im running like crazy in pajamas and shoes half on my feet, through the snow...I got ziva and hauled her into the house, thinking better to be chasing one dog than two of them, crated her, got my kids up...one with a 104 temp, they ran out barefoot in pajamas running all over...we found little tracks heading out the back yard towards a swamp....I jumped in the car, frantically texting my husband (who is in class, an hour away) bc I cant remember where the stuff is to alert her microchip finder thing.....driving around in my pjs, screaming her name and dangling treats out the window...cars getting pissed at me, driving around me all mad.....my sweet neighbor lady heard us all screaming and came out to help look...my kids just called and found her several houses down.....

I didnt want a dog. I dont much care for animals. I decided to get a dog bc my kids seemed to really need it at the time.

I am sobbing as if I just found one of my own children after they'd run away. My God, my entire body is shaking, my kids are all crying.

I want to beat her, but instead we're all giving her treats and hugging her.

Im so thankful she is safe. All I could think of was DD's Izze. They will NEVER go out without a leash again.

Oh. My God.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm glad you found her safe and sound.

Give her some love and try to breath. I know how it feels. I lost Kaki once and it was the most terrifying three hours of my life. We came back to the house and there she was sitting on the porch. I was sobbing, shaking, and squeezing the bejeezus out of her despite the goose poop all over her fur(I guess she had fun...).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shes sitting here looking at me like, " what?" I can laugh now a little....there are all these huge dogs in fences on this street...I'm driving around dangling her face treat put the window screaming "TREAT!" "SNACK" and all these big dog are running around in their fences barking back at me like "me me me I want that treat! I'm sure their owners love mei think I started a barking riot

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The fifth day I had kabota, he slips out the front door and goes running straight for a very busy road. I can run still, but not fast and not for long. All I could think of was having him less than week and him dying, 2 months after I lost muggsy. I have no idea why he came when I called. His outdoor recall (at the dog park) still isn't over 30% 2 months later.

I'm so glad you got her back.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
be lucky she came back, i was relieved to read that she retured home safe. this ordeal has taught me thsat life is very precious, my other dog doesnt go out without a leash either, she never did but i makw sure she doesnt now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is scary~~ I know!
We lost our new Great Dane the first night we got him. Somehow~ someone left the back gate opened, we didnt notice till just before we went to bed, not sure how long he was gone, we looked for a while then came home and thinking we would look for him again in the morning. Mind you, Mesa AZ at the time~ not a good place for an x-large dog to be loose.

Anyway, next morning my husband had to go to work, came right back in saying "look who I found". Well, this silly dog found our car! windows were down (that alone was strange) and he mananged to climb into the car.. like.. ok.. lets go now. He only was in it for one ride. We even asked the neighbors if they put him in it... nobody did. I was so glad to see him. THEN 3 days later?? he got out again!!:frusty: (padlock time for the gate) That time the AC picked him up. (2 days he was there before we found him) We had to get him registered and whatnot to get him out, but he never wanted to wander off again. That was my Major, Got him at 2 yrs old and had him for 13 yrs. He was a good ol'boy. :angel:

anyway~ Im glad your story was a happy one :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How terrifying! Glad you got him back. Leashes are wonderful tools to keep dogs safe. I've never heard a panicked owner say "Oh, he always runs away." They always say "He NEVER leaves the yard/runs off/goes in the street/goes after another dog, etc". Glad the lesson wasn't harmful to your dog.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Glad Zoey made it home safe! I can't imagine how panicked I'd be in that situation.

I *love* letting Kit off leash at every opportunity. I hope to always own dogs that love to run and stretch their legs, but have no desire to run away from me/home.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
They always say "He NEVER leaves the yard/runs off/goes in the street/goes after another dog, etc". Glad the lesson wasn't harmful to your dog.
Yes indeed, it's one of those things that happens to other people. Until it does.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I so glad you got her back safe and sound!

My 9 year old son came running in, crying hysterically, last weekend. He'd taken the 9 month old BC mix for a walk and had somehow let go of the leash. She took off, so he came running in, completely upset because he'd lost Molly. It took all of about five minutes to find her, I asked him which direction she'd gone and, from that, knew where she was. She has a few favorite yards to run into and she was in the first one I thought of, down in the lake. When I called her, she came up soaking wet.

Son told me that he'd heard a lot of geese yelling when she ran away, he was afraid that some geese were drowning her in the lake (I don't know where he got this idea from). She LOVES to chase geese, apparently she saw some and took off after them, running them into the lake in back of this particular yard she likes. He also said he was afraid that someone had stolen her to use as "Pitbull Bait"...THAT ONE is thanks to a stupid vet tech (not at our usual vet) who put that thought in his head. He is such a worrier, I really resent it when other adults tell him scary stories that may or may not have any basis in reality. Especially when there is no dog fighting to speak of around here and our two best doggy neighborhood friends, who he loves, are both Pits.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I keep wondering why she suddenly just ran off like that....no kids were out, no other dogs, I didn't see any squirrels out there, even. I swear it was like she just ran up to the porch to fake me out and then she just bolted.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Glad she's home safe. I lost Hobbes once when we took him hiking off-leash and he took after a bunch of deer. Scariest 45 minutes of my life.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Glad everything turned out good! :) I never lost a dog ... and never hope to either.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So glad your family found her and that she is home safe and sound

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
We are in the hospital and my oldest girl is at home sick. She and my youngest son are face timing on their ipods ...shes holding hers up to the dogs and brennans laying here with his iv in his arm shouting "I love you Zoey I love my dog I love you Zoey" nurses are going past us wondering what the heck hes doing but hes mists just so happy she is home safe and he wants to higher :)

The auto correct on this kindle is so crazy....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts