Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever run into people who almost adopted your dog from the shelter/rescue before you but changed their mind or went with another dog instead? I've run into a handful of such people in the first year after I adopted Jubel.

Reasons they gave for going with another dog or not him ranged from not knowing if he'd be good with kids to thinking he'd be too high energy for them. All were happy to see him adopted and enjoying life in a loving home.

I'm guessing it's somewhat unusual to have met 4-5 people who almost adopted your dog, I found it pretty surprising myself. Though I'm glad they passed him over because he's such a good fit with my brother and I.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Nope, but I did have someone on here PM me about our dogs possibly being siblings from the same rescue. They never responded after the initial message, though, so nothing ever came of it. It would have been cool to have them meet up or something.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There are a number of people on Facebook pissed that I got Kabota. He was quite the star for about 5 minutes. Lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
My friend adopted a little Pom-Terrier cross who was only about 9 months old and had a little girl track her down on Facebook telling her that he'd been her dog and her parents made her give him up because they were moving (TO A FARM). She also found out that no matter what you tell the shelter the dog's name is, they will give it a different name for the shelter, so it gets to be renamed a second time when it's adopted. (This one was Taz with the little girl, Dynamite at the shelter and my friend gave him an incomprehensible name which is "Menni" for short) I thought that was kind of weird because people who adopt an older dog have the option of keeping the dog's actual name taken from them and they never know it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The closest I came was when I took Penny to Obedience classes, there was a Collie there who I had considered adopting from the Humane Society. He was a purebred pup, bought for $600, then the lady brought him home and her husband threw a fit and made her get rid of him. And the breeder wouldn't take him back. So she brought him to the HS, and they basically "auctioned" him off (being a fresh new purebred puppy, lots of demand). I was going to put in an application but decided that any dog who was in demand like that didn't really need me. Which might have been a good thing because his new owner was exasperated with his behavior, and he had been to the e-vet twice for eating things he shouldn't have, LOL. But of course things might have been different at my house, who knows.

Oh, and when I took Penny to the vet right after finding her, he said that someone else had found her brother and he had just been in for his shots. But of course he couldn't tell me who so I never met him/them.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jubel sat in the shelter for 10 months so lots of time for people to see him and think about it. I'm pretty close to talking my brother into a long term foster and the dogs I'm thinking of as possible fosters have all been at the shelter for at least a year, some for 2 years. Who I end up with as a long term foster will most depend on who of them gets along best with Jubel though.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
nope, not my rescues anyway, Happy is from a breeder and I know the lady who was to get her, but her husband later made her back out(she has Happy's neice now).

but working in a kennel/daycare I meet dogs all the tiome that were either at the shelter with my girls, or just ones I saw there and really liked. we connect a number of siblings too, from boths rescues and breeders, which is cool.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Nope, but there was a dog from the shelter that I was hoping to run into. I volunteered at the shelter for a while and fell in love with a shih tzu x JRT. Very funny looking dog, but so cute, drivey, friendly and smart. I was smitten, and was in the process of justifying adopting a 3rd dog, but I took too long and she was adopted. I was so sad :( For weeks I hoped I would somehow run into her with her new owners, but it never happened.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nope. Buffy came up here from Virginia with her mom and two littermates, and was only with the rescue for about a week. However, someone else who inquired about her online had picked her from the littler, but I got first pick of the pups since I was the first to email about them and to meet them in person. I'm sure either of the other pups would've been great too, but I'm so glad I was able to get Buff. I just wish that whoever got the other ones were as good as I am with sending photo updates to the rescue. I'd love to see how they turned out.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
When we got Zoey another couple was filling out the final paperwork for the puppy they had just chosen and they had been choosing between Zoey and the one they ended up getting, so they were trying to encourage us to go for Zoey, as we were between here and another pup. We ended up taking the same Puppy Socialization class so that was kind of neat. Also found out that Zoey's brother was taking the class that met right after ours so we got to meet him once (he had already been adopted when we got Zoey).

I was a little sad for the puppy we didn't choose and checked the shelter's website every day until that puppy was adopted. It's hard having to choose only one!!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
ok I have to add to this tonight because like a yer ago there was this dog at the shleter I was in love with..if I could have had another at the time I would have taken her, no question. well she got adoped and it had been so long I fogot about her..the only thing I remebered was her being labled a "smooth collie X" when she was clearly a smooth coat BC. well taday there was a new dog at daycare, called Thelma and I had to fit her with a collar..I went to th back with a collar thinking "who names their dog Thelma???" I walk into the kennel and who do I look at? the smooth BC from the shelter! I was sooo exited to see her lol, she is gonna start comming to daycare now, so i am gonna get to see her lots :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
When we rescued Bazil (RIP) we took her to our groomer for a bath. Turned out our Groomer had rescued Bazil's brother Zeus (RIP). We were always amazed to see them play together. They were so similar LOL!

·
Registered
390 Posts
There was a couple who were interested in Andy before I put in my application. They backed off after the interview when they felt they couldn't handle him.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A year or so after I adopted Bosley my next door neighbor whom I had spoken to regularly told me she almost adopted him. I didn't believe her, it made no sense that she had never said a word to me about it sooner. Aside from that she wanted a specific breed (JRT) and they never got many. I was there at the SPCA just hoping for a little bundle of love that I could 'connect' with and I found him :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ran into something similar to this with Domo since he was in the shelter for about 4-5 months. Everytime we went somewhere someone recognized him and proceeded to tell us how good of a dog he was and how they were glad to see him in a home. I have to admit that it kinda pissed me off that everyone talked about how good he was but never have him a chance. Too bad they missed out on a fabulous dog!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I adopt the unwanted death row dogs so I doubt it with most of them. The one exception would be Max who bounced around between the Humane Society and several homes from 8 weeks to 6 months of age. The person who adopted him befoe me kept him a whole 18 hours simply because they had to wait for the shelter to open in the morning. He was labeled incorrigible and hyper. He was simply high energy and brilliant and when given a chance became the best dog that I have ever owned and my service dog. I often wondered when I took him to the dog park if any of the people there had once owned him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts