Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to name my dog Baltazar. My wife wants to name him Rudolph. And my mother-in-law thinks his name should be Pushok (that's how "fluffy" sounds in Russian). With all due respect, that "Fluffy" bit me by the forearm, remember? :D

It gets worse. I asked around, and almost everyone in the neighborhood had their own name for this dog. But never mind that.

We have more or less agreed on calling him Jrubik (this is a combination of "eating in a messy manner" and "Rubik's cube" in Russian), but all of us still call him by the names we like most from time to time.

How bad is it for a dog to have many names? And how bad can it be if I specifically train him to be both Jrubik and Baltazar? ;)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My one little dog has four names ... Leeo ... Leeoski ... Eepie ... and Doobles. He answers to all of them. I don't think he minds. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
My dog responds to: Mandy, Mandy-Moosis, Moosis, Doodle, Gulligumma (Swedish for Sweet girl), Sweetheart, Darling, and Alsklingsgumma (Darling girl). She might be a tad schizophren, but dont' seem to have any trouble with realizing it's all for her. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dog Sammi responds to "Samantha" which is what my dad calls her I guess because he wants to be formal? And when we got our pug "Elphaba" who we call Elphie, we started to call Sammi "Samaba" and she answers to that too. She will also answer if we call any of our other pet's names..she's not picky!

Elphie comes to both Elphie and Elphaba too. The funny thing is that my son has a webkinz pug that he named "Elphie Puppy" and he regularly calls her...as if the stuffed toy is going to come to him and Elphie does NOT respond to calls for Elphie Puppy..

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
If Abbylynn would have been a male when I adopted her .... I was going to name "him" Baltazar ( the Christmas Angel ) from that one seasonal Christmas movie. I love that name. :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Haha do a search and look through some of the multitude of nickname threads. I believe most people have a number of names they use for their dogs and they do just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think dogs respond more to the tone of voice when you call them. I can call Felix pretty much anything I can think of and he'll respond to it. Although if my tone sounds angry, he won't come near me. Some of the nicknames I call him is: Bud, Fatass, and Speedbump (he likes to park himself in the middle of the dark hallway where you can't see)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
здравствуйте! Honestly that should be fine. I call both my dogs different variations or names and such. I find the one name tends to stick better though and then nick names are formed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Zoey
Zoey Zolbertson
Baby Girl
Pupper Dupper
Cutie Patootie
and whatever other drivel I can dream up on a given day.

(don't name the dog Fluffy, that's just degrading)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't see it being a big deal if they want to name it Pushok its just a name its not as if the dog cares. Plus it is a lot more creative than some names....

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
My dogs have so many nicknames they respond to. It wouldn't be any different than having a name and some nicknames.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
ROFL, the dog could care less what you name it. Honestly I think a Mexican Hairless or Chinese crested with the call name "Fluffy" would be fun.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with the others. Hobbes has many names that he answers to, doesn't seem to phase (faze? phaze?) him at all.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Kuma has many nicknames he answers to, doesn't confuse him at all.

LOL, how exactly is Fluffy degrading? Maybe not the most original name ever, but hardly degrading!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Pepper came to me with his name. I'm not fond of it. Besides - who names a white dog Pepper? But since I have no imagination, I kept his name.

That said, he now answers to: Stinky, Stinkyface, Pepperoni, Macaroni, Roni, Roni-Pony, Fat Boy, Face, Faces, Punk, Punky, Chunky-Monkey. I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember them right now.

Bottom line, as long as he answers/comes to you when you call him, it doesn't matter who calls him what.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies :)

I was afraid we'll have to make compromises, but I think everything you said means everyone will call him whatever they want to.

здравствуйте!
Здравствуйте, здравствуйте :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts