Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today, I was walking to a table to get him some food. Now the table is pretty high up so he knows when he's getting food, because I have to reach up for the food. All of a sudden he kinda jumps up right in front of me and brings his claws down into my leg, and it hurt like crazy so as a knee jerk type of reaction, I kinda pushed him and he fell. He didn't make any noise and he seems to walk/run fine. I apologized to him for a good 10 minutes by giving him really tasty treats and belly rubs (He rolled over himself.) What can I do to stop him from doing this, because I'm afraid that one day he'll do this and actually tear into my skin, which he almost did. He's usually a good puppy and will sit patiently for his food, but sometime he gets a little too excited and scratches me.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Other than continue to train him, there isn't that much you can do. You can ask him for a 'down' instead of a 'sit' to make it more difficult for him to get up, and when you see him about to get up, simply put him back in the down. Also practice this when you're not doing food, and work on duration and distraction.

If he does jump up, you could always end the food thing, say 'oops' or 'too bad' put all the food away and go and sit somewhere and be really boring for 5-10 minutes. Then try again, and repeat as needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
lil-fuzzy made some good suggestions.

Also, trim and manicure your dogs nails often.
Good point, I was planning to do this.

Other than continue to train him, there isn't that much you can do. You can ask him for a 'down' instead of a 'sit' to make it more difficult for him to get up, and when you see him about to get up, simply put him back in the down. Also practice this when you're not doing food, and work on duration and distraction.

If he does jump up, you could always end the food thing, say 'oops' or 'too bad' put all the food away and go and sit somewhere and be really boring for 5-10 minutes. Then try again, and repeat as needed.
I do exactly this. When it's his feeding time, I make him do the newest command he's learning, and he doesn't get the food until he performs the command almost perfectly. If after 10 minutes he's just too confused or too hungry or something like that, I just wait for a half way or a two thirds of the command and just give him his food. When I start walking to the table though is when he get's a little crazy sometimes. And getting him to sit while he's jumping or about to jump is hard as he's pretty fast with his jumps. But thanks for the good tips. I'll continue to do this. :D

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
How about training a wait?

Have your dog sit/down a few feet away from where he normally eats. Tell him to stay. Place the food down and move away, then release him to eat.

There was a recent thread all about training a wait command for feeding. You might find it helpful.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Good suggestions all ready. I have to say though, as a dog owner, expect a certain amount of.. uh.. pain. Puppy nipping was awful with my mutt and she broke my skin in excitement several times. I've been scratched, brained, head butted in the face, knocked on my butt, and just today my mammoth puppy (who is in a new found crazy excited phase) was so excited I was home and did not enjoy the fact I was not paying any mind to him until he calmed down jumped up, scratched my stomach, and knocked me down the stairs.

They've also had their fair share of accidental knocks. I remember when our pup first got here as a tiny thing and I slipped on our vinyl floor and kicked him right in the head on my way down. He thought it was a game, so he immediately nommed on my pants and ran around my crumbled body. xD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts