Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted in the general forum too but I have to get this off my chest to other raw feeders. I had to go to a new vet because my usual one was booked. Sigh, what a disaster.

The new vet commented quite a few times on how excellent Sargeant's teeth look. He is over 5 years old and they are sparkly white. He doesnt get any brushing because when I tried, he hated it and his tiny mouth is difficult to do. He does, however, get raw bones and other chewable things.

But then when she asked me what I feed, she went on and on about how horrible it is and almost made me feel bad! Not only that but her air of superiority rubbed me the wrong way. She told me how Iams was a great food because her lab is 14 years old. I asked her what she thought about corn and she said its fine. I asked her how she felt about meat meal and meat by products, stuff that doesn't define where the meat comes from. She said Eukanuba and Iams are fine using it because she trusts the company. She said kibbles and bits was horrible (the only thing we agreed upon)

I will not be using her again. Not only that but last night I found two lumps on Sarge....My husband is out of town and I called him crying m eyes out because I always think the worst and I immediately thought CANCER. Then Im thinking, I was JUST at the vet for a PHYSICAL! How did this lady not notice these lumps that took me two seconds of feeling around to see. (I was originally checking for ticks because my big dog had one)

Ok, thank you for reading this. I just feel that other dog lovers who try to do the best for their dogs would understand. I am taking Sarge to the vet next friday to see about those lumps but Im guessing it might involve surgery (gulp)

Here is a picture of him

He is my avatar!

·
Registered
673 Posts
First off, I hope it's nothing serious with the lumps also, every dog is different with different dog foods! What might be fine for one may give the runs to another. She really had no right in saying that after all that's just her opinion. If your dog is fine on what you give him that's great:) My old dog was on Pedigree and she lived to be 13 years and her teeth where excellent

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i am so sorry that you had to go through that. i also feed raw, but i am lucky enough to have a vet that doesn't do that to me. i am sorry that you found lumps too. it is a scary thing, but they may just be bug bites or something like that. no need to worry yourself sick over it. just wait until you see your regular vet next week.

i also wanted to say that your dog has some of the prettiest eyes i have ever seen! <3

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IOREKS_MOM, thanks for the compliment. His eyelashes are really long! And thanks for the hope. I always think the worst.....

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i do the exact same. i always think the worst and get all worked up and sick over things. it just makes everything so much harder. i really hope that the bumps are nothing to worry about.

no problem about the compliment! :D he really is a very pretty dog (i hope you don't mind me calling him pretty!)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I understand this completely. I don't feed RAW, but I did try it once and Bridgette just did not take to it. I know so many people on here do it and their dogs are clearly happy, healthy, and gorgeous! :p

I work for a vet and we argue all the time about whether or not feeding RAW is safe and what not. At first he was very anti-RAW, but he's starting to see my point! Yay!

Oh and Sarge didn't get vaccines did he? Because they can get lumps from them...but you didn't say anything about vax in which case...the vet SHOULD have seen them!! :eek:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I hope Sarge will be fine...sometimes the lumps are benign fatty tumours and nothing more than unsightly.
Funny thing, I called my Vets office today and asked a recommendation for dog food. She (the receptionist) said Iams, Science Diet or Purina. Then she said to look for some kind of meat in the first three ingredients. I said "Ok thanks."
I have to take Hershey in next month for her first booster shots..when I get in the exam room I am going to corner my Vet and ask her about nutrition. lol. I adore my Vet, she's fairly new to me..having bought the clinic from my previous Vet. She has 10 dogs (mostly rescues) and 2 pet rats! I love rats :)
I haven't talked to her about nutrition at all, so I'll let you guys know what she says!

·
Banned
572 Posts
I will not be using her again. Not only that but last night I found two lumps on Sarge....My husband is out of town and I called him crying m eyes out because I always think the worst and I immediately thought CANCER. Then Im thinking, I was JUST at the vet for a PHYSICAL! How did this lady not notice these lumps that took me two seconds of feeling around to see. (I was originally checking for ticks because my big dog had one)

Unbeliveable ... I would never go back either. Once they get that arrogant tone implying the pet owner is a peon & they are the all knowing height of education, I wash my hands of them. Funny thing, the more a pet owner knows, the more HOSTILE the Vets seem to be to them. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I don't know what kool aid Vets are drinking but the ones out of Vet school around -5 years seem to be the worst. BRAINWASHED. Horrible profession :mad:

·
Banned
221 Posts
Don't worry too much about the lump. Some dogs get lumps, bumps, warts, growths and other unexplained skin abnormalities. It is very very rare that any of them end up being anything serious. I used to take dogs to the vet when one of those things appeared but now I only let the vet look at them when the dog is in for some other reason.

As for the dietary advice you got from the vet. I only take dietary advice from someone who has actually fed a raw diet to dogs for several years. No vet on earth who has never fed a raw diet can possibly give any useful advice about it.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Funny thing, the more a pet owner knows, the more HOSTILE the Vets seem to be to them. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I don't know what kool aid Vets are drinking but the ones out of Vet school around -5 years seem to be the worst. BRAINWASHED. Horrible profession :mad:
'God complex', most likely. A lot of human doctors get that way too.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Funny thing, the more a pet owner knows, the more HOSTILE the Vets seem to be to them. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I don't know what kool aid Vets are drinking but the ones out of Vet school around -5 years seem to be the worst. BRAINWASHED.
Yeah, I've noticed that with the really young vets, too. And the really old vets (the ones who will retire soon) tend to hate to be told ANYTHING by the owner, because, well, HE'S the doctor and has been for 40 years and how dare you tell him anything. Somewhere in the middle makes the best vet.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed that with the really young vets, too. And the really old vets (the ones who will retire soon) tend to hate to be told ANYTHING by the owner, because, well, HE'S the doctor and has been for 40 years and how dare you tell him anything. Somewhere in the middle makes the best vet.
It seems like the 'Holistic' vets tend to generally be the more 'moderate' kind. That's just my perception.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
It seems like the 'Holistic' vets tend to generally be the more 'moderate' kind. That's just my perception.
that is the truth when it comes to my vet. she is "holistic" and they do homeopathic treatments and acupuncture there as well as more traditional treatments. she recommends home prepared diets over anything else. she has hills Rx diet there, but she also sells evo and california naturals and promotes those foods over the Rx food. when i told her that i feed iorek raw she didn't tell me that i shouldn't, any of that stuff. she didn't really comment at all. but when she took a stool sample she said it was bony and said that usually when dogs are fed a raw diet they do get bony stools. her techs seem to be really impressed with a raw diet since both iorek and another dog that goes there have had tummy issues that have completely cleared up after switching to raw. (i met the other dog the other day, he was GORGEOUS, a dogue de bordeaux, so calm and friendly) my vet is great, but she is very expensive :(

·
Registered
282 Posts
That is unfortunate...I'm sorry you had to go through that.
I hope your little guys lumps turn out to be nothing....
Most vets are anti-raw and really anti most other foods besides what they promote and/or use. I used to think vets knew a lot about nutrition but my cousin went to school to become a vet and she said the training they get about nutrition is little to none and what is done is taught by "Science Hills" which is why most vets promote that food. I agree that Holistic vets seem to be more open minded about feeding raw food or home cooked diets. I've met very few non-holistic vets that, while they may not necessarily "agree" with raw food or home cooking they won't "lecture" you about doing it either....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts