Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the report on this study that states "Contrary to popular belief, so-called hypoallergenic dogs do not have lower household allergen levels than other dogs."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110707161738.htm

There are two here with hay fever and serious allergies, my OH and my oldest son. Our experience reflects what this study says. There is no difference in their allergy symptoms no matter the breed or mix, BUT their allergies were not, specifically to dogs (my son showed a slight bump to dogs on the test but his skin there was so swollen from every other allergy he had it was not conclusive).

I know so many that have Poodles and Bichons and understand they have made a difference, so I'm wondering what others experience is.

Have you lived with both dogs touted to be allergy friendly and those not? If you have found a symptom difference what is your specific allergy (I believe that would be an important factor)?

SOB

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
some dogs cause more reactions then others... very short coarse hair seems to cause high reactions, people they have never had exerpeince with allergies to dogs will break out in hives after touching certain dogs with this type of coat. otherwise I would think it depends on if your allergic to the fur or the dander!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also allergic to dogs - yorkies still make me sneeze and itch like crazy and the same with the morkie puppy my boyfriend just brought home. I'm also allergic to cats though and I did eventually developed a resistance and got used to his allergens and no longer had reactions unless I touched my eyes after touching him. I hate having to take medicine for allergies, so I netty pot twice a day and wash my hands often when playing wtih the puppy. This does help.

If you wanna see the cutest little morkies, here's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXpPZ7Bzjs&feature=share hope my response helps you out!

·
Registered
591 Posts
some breeds do not have fur they have hair, poodles, bichons are just a couple. It depends totally on what the person is alergic to for some its the hair for others the dander, with cats I know part of it is the saliva they use constantly to groom themselves
I have a grandson with alot of alergies, he reacted to my daughters labs but was fine with my poochon and yorkiepoo .

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My daughter's allergic to most dogs (labs send her over the edge!), but she has a yorkie poo and is fine. She's also fine around my poodle. She hasn't been around my new westie mix yet, so we'll have to see. Just realize that most hypoallergenic dogs will require regular grooming/clipping to keep them looking nice.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Our Schnauzer/Poodles have not caused allergies like other dogs have in the past. But they have pink skin and I never noticed the dander on them. Plus their hair is more Poodle like. Eddie is Schnauzer/Cairn? mix ... but he makes my eyes itch and swell. He does not have pink skin and his hair is wirey? Who knows! Abbylynn is just a regular type hair dog and she makes my eyes itch and swell? :/ ... I bathe them on a regular basis too?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've never lived with a non-hypoallergenic dog so I can't say anything about that, but what I have noticed is that if we let Neeka go too long without a bath I will get allergic reactions to the dust and pollen stuck in her coat. It's especially apparent if I brush her when she's dirty. She has really curly hair so it just traps everything.

My cousin is allergic to dogs and she's allergic to Neeka and SiSi even though they're hypo. I think it depends a lot on the person whether hypoallergenic helps or not. My dad was very allergic to dogs but was barely allergic to Neeka.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I think that it depends on the person as well. My cousin is allergic to dogs and cats, but own a bichon/poodle cross and has no reaction to the dog. He stayed in my house with my 2 schnauzers and didn't have a problem... his mom's aussies do cause a reaction. But that's just him. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with NRB, everyone is different. I tend to be more allergic to animals that are free to roam outside most of the time- because they track in pollen, dust, dirt, etc. I am technically allergic to dogs according to the blood test, but I actually found the "hypoallergenic" havanese dog that stayed indoors to make no difference in the matter. We now have a Canaan dog who stays indoors with us most of the time and I am fine as long as we bathe him consistently/take him to the groomers, keep the house very clean, and I take some allergy medication. The worse allergies I've ever had are whenever I go to a friends' of ours house; they have two big, Bernese Mountain dogs and keep them as clean as possible, but I cannot go to their house anymore! My eyes constantly water, and itch and I sneeze and have to blow my nose every two seconds. I feel like I'm being rude, but we just have them over for dinner at our house now!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Five of us here have asthma and allergies. But, I am specifically allergic to dogs. The kind of allergy that causes my entire body to break out in hives, my eyes swell shut, my throat closes up, and I wheeze. Its bad. If I go to my sisters house (she has min pins) I have to take Benedryl first, and take my inhaler with me, and still, I get sick and can't stay much longer than an hour.
so, sadly, we never thought we could have dogs for our kids and never tried.
When we first heard about "hypoallergenic dogs" we thought it was crap. But my kids were so desperate about getting a dog, we decided to research it more, and went looking for dogs that wouldnt make me sick.

Eventually, we found zoey, who is a papillon/poodle cross and doesnt cause me any allergic or asthmatic reaction, and later, Ziva, a yorkie, who also hasnt caused me problems. Before getting either dog, I rubbed them on my face, arms, smelled them, held them for long periods of time, etc to make sure I was okay.

I still have trouble with many other dogs, so it isnt that the allergy has gone away. I do, however, keep mine mostly indoors and very clean.

I get aggravated with people who tell me Im not allergic (thats just an excuse for people who dont like dogs!), or that I should just "take a pill"...bc that would be so easy! Believe me, I have taken pills, combinations of pills, nasal sprays, inhalers, allergy shots (which didnt help even a little bit) and Xolair shots for allergies (which caused me to have seizures and other awful side effects).

I think it also helps that our dogs are relatively small. Less dog, less dander, I think.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
It totally depends on the person AND on the dog. I remember reading this great article on how the "Labradoodle" came about - essentially as a guide-dog for a woman whose husband was severely allergic to dogs. They actually did allergen testing on the husband with each of the puppy's hair and saliva and discovered that he was allergic to 2/3 of the litter, but didn't react to one puppy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that it depends on the person and the dog. I've never really been around a hypoallergenic dog that has been classified as such but I am pretty allergic. Not sneezing, my throat closes and I feel like I swallowed lots of hair, also my skin gets kind of itchy. However, depending on the dog, it doesn't happen - for instance, my inlaws have a lovely little Lhaso Apso that causes no reaction in me (but my husband can't stand it for more than a few days) but I can hardly stay at a friend's house even when his American bulldogs are in the kennel because it causes such a bad reaction - even after taking an allergy pill.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
My boyfriend doesn't have any reaction to Sydney, but gets the sniffles around pretty much any longhaired dog...from the fur of a border collie to that of a shih-tzu or a maltese. I'm not sure what his specific allergy is, but I would assume it's some sort of pollen/dustmite allergy based on what gets caught in the dog's coat. He is severely allergic to cats though, and it's definitely not some other coincidental allergy as he reacts to indoor cats the same as outdoor and after returning a cat we once owned to the original owner his allergies went away completely.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
My stepdad is very allergic to dogs and cats. Jackson ("hypoallergenic yorkie") does not bother him. When my uncle's Husky lived with us, he was in bed every night with a warm towel over his face unable to breathe. Our cockapoo also did not bother him.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I am not allergic to dogs in the least but I had to clip a sharpei for surgery once and that had me itching and sneezing like mad! That hair feels like fiberglass!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm well I don't possess any dogs yet but from the study I can conclude that dogs that are hypoallergenic consists of allergy causing proteins in their furs and so far it has been concluded that Poodles and Labradoodles consists of highest amount of allergy causing proteins. These kinds of dogs also shed less hair.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am allergic to dogs, though in a mild way now... it was really bad when I was a teenager and young adult. I couldn't be around shorthaired dogs at all, I would get hives, have asthma attacks to labs, etc. But what I've discovered is that it's not shorthaired per se, it's how long dogs go between baths! How often does the average Lab or Boxer get bathed compared to Cocker Spaniel or Shih Tsu? Now I have shorthaired, longhaired and wirehaired dogs, and only one is what would be considered a "hypoallergenic" breed. She bothers me as much as the others when I groom her, as did the St. Poodles I raised. always had a reaction (and still do) when grooming dogs (I've always groomed my own dogs, I dont trust strangers, or anyone really, with my dogs) no matter their "hypoallergenic" status.

·
Registered
792 Posts
One of my in-laws friends came to visit. She's usually very allergic to dogs but had no reaction to Mumble.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts