Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellomy dog started to display symptoms last February 2020 via chewing paws. We tried healing wipes first, no change then hypoallergenic food in around Dec 2020. She is also now on anti instamines apoquel

My dog is 4 yo.

In the last month or so she started to pick things up outside (which she hadn't done since she was a puppy), so we are trying to work on the leave it again but it's been really hard because the food is basically worthless (and she doesn't really care for toys outside the house) compared to whatever goods are on the floor, any tips? Vet suggested hypoallergenic treats called hills but if she eats more than 4 she'll start chewing paws again

She also started to get randomly aggressive in the evening (she did it for a few weeks in march 2021) then nothing until last week when she started again. I have no idea what's causing it (food/toys is always in a different area than when they are being aggressive) we spoke to a couple of professional trainers but the 'best one in the area' refused to help because the food is too worthless to do any valuable training. We are waiting on an assessment with the second trainer.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? What other rewards do you use for training (please do not reccomend shock collars or prongs)

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
Has your vet done a full blood panel? Has her thyroid been checked? The thyroid can cause a sudden change in behavior.

Have you been able to figure out what she's allergic to? Can you try using really yummy treats like tiny pieces of deli meat or cheese?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has your vet done a full blood panel? Has her thyroid been checked? The thyroid can cause a sudden change in behavior.

Have you been able to figure out what she's allergic to? Can you try using really yummy treats like tiny pieces of deli meat or cheese?
Thank you! I've been trying to push for a full blood work but so far they are refusing because she improved in the last few months, I am contacting the vet again and push again

The vet said it wasn't worth trying to rule out what it was as it may have either been environmental or food related

I don't know much about dog medicine I'm just following their advice but I am not happy to be honest

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
Thank you! I've been trying to push for a full blood work but so far they are refusing because she improved in the last few months, I am contacting the vet again and push again

The vet said it wasn't worth trying to rule out what it was as it may have either been environmental or food related

I don't know much about dog medicine I'm just following their advice but I am not happy to be honest
You can get a second opinion if you're not happy with your current vet. I would be concerned if my vet didn't at least humor me and do the blood work if I was seeing weird behavior and wanted to rule everything out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts