Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
My dog Seamus was adopted 3 months ago and went from the most neurotic hot mess to a wonderful, beautiful (still endearingly neurotic), sweet dog. He has a way to go, but he's so good, and I love him so much. He has some pretty bad skin issues, or did, and instead of doing elimination diets and blah de blah I just took him off his orijen and swapped over to acana limited ingredient duck and pear. He's already shedding less two weeks later, and itching less. My only issue is my boy is a rescue. For three years he had nothing. When I got him it took forever for him to realize his marrow bones were for him. Now he adores them. Thing is I don't think the beef agrees with him, his skin, or his belly. Granted, it's fatty so the diarrhea could just be from a high dose of fat, but I'd prefer to stick to things that aren't so known for causing allergies. He won't just chew a bone. It has to taste like something. He finally learned his kong has treats in it but he gets them out fast then he's done with the kong. I'd like something he really has to work at for a while to stimulate his brain, and keep him from being bored that's also hypo allergenic. Anyone have ideas? I know food allergies are basically the most common issue in dogs outside of cancer so I'm sure people have things they've tried. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I'd try working with his kibble. Moisten some, stuff and freeze the kong? Put part of his dinner in a food puzzle toy? Too bad Acana doesn't come in cans. Perhaps you could find a duck based canned food and use that.

Chicken feet are sold dried as treats, you ought to be able to find dried duck feet. My dogs haven't had dried but fresh ones are eagerly taken but only last a couple minutes with the littles. Duck jerky is of course available but be careful of the source after the chicken jerky/China thing.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a dog with allergies and sensitive to a lot of fillers/starch etc. I get my treats/chews from bestbullysticks because (almost) everything they sell is limited ingredient/natural. She never has an issue with the things I get from there. They categorize so you can search through treats/chews by protein source which is handy too.

Of course, without doing a trial beforehand trying anything other than duck chews is going to be a trial in and of itself. Duck chews aren't the most common and they are expensive. If you want to stick with duck protein, I agree with Kathyy that finding ways to turn his food into a treat/chew would probably be the best way to go.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Kibble dispensing toys maybe? Kong Wobbler is very durable, not too hard but not super duper easy, easy to fill and easy to clean. There are a wide variety of similar toys.

Deer or elk antler might interest him, since they are animal products they have a bit of scent to them but are very long lasting chews so the dog isn't really ingesting much of anything at one time. Some dogs love them, some have zero interest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly my boy has a beautiful 30 dollar antler he could give a crap about. lol His kong is super easy for him, I fill it with food, he's done in 2 seconds. I'll look into some of the other suggestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's super smart. What are the best treat toys out there? I need something durable because he is a very heavy chewer when he gets going, and I need something with a solid difficulty level. He's smart and sorts it out quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts