Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after talking to a number of other elkhound owners via the internet, I've found that Rocky's crazy twitchy energy level is not only not normal for an elkhound, but almost unheard of. I've started looking around for ideas on a possible underlying medical issue and may have struck upon one, but wanted to ask here for opinions first.

In the last 6 months or so, Rocky has had a few symptoms that I feel may be covered by thyroid:

-Panting nearly all day, even when temperature is very cool, and when he's seemingly relaxed and laying down.
-Really twitchy and reactive to sounds and touch when he's in this panting mode.
-Mild diarrhea seemingly at random.
-Near uncontrollable urge to mark when outside. He's even peed while running full out when we're bikejoring just because he could see a pole he wanted to pee on 20 feet away.

Can all of these things be a part of hyperthyroidism?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Hyperthyroidism is pretty rare in dogs. And if you strongly suspect hyperthyroidism it would be critical to get your vet to run the blood tests (mainly T4, maybe a TSH) ASAP.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyperthyroidism is pretty rare in dogs. And if you strongly suspect hyperthyroidism it would be critical to get your vet to run the blood tests (mainly T4, maybe a TSH) ASAP.
Yeah, I know it's mainly a cat thing and doesn't show up near as often in dogs. It's the only I've found that can explain the changes that have happened. He turned from a pretty calm dog (as long as he had his exercise) to a jittery, stressed out maniac really quickly, with no apparent cause. No switch in routine, no less exercise, no injuries, no extra stress at all.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I would start out with a thorough exam and blood work at the vet's before tryng to diagnose anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts