Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I am doing all this dog food switching ....

I was studying pancreatitis and hyperlipidemia which can be predisposed for Schnauzers. What I am getting from all the scientific mumbo-jumbo which becomes confusing after a bit ... is that hyperlipidemia is high fats in the blood or high lipid numbers? Am I correct and will a low fat and high protein diet be a wise choice for my Schnauzer mixes?

When Leeo was diagnosed with pancreatic neucrosis his lipid numbers were in outer space. His fat levels were horrid. Is this what causes pancreatitis or hyperlipidemia in the first place ... if it is not already predisposed in the first place due to the dogs genetic lines?

Just trying to make a wise choice and hope to prevent future health issues if at all possible ... or basically try and keep them on a proper road to good health.

Any advice is good ... as I am still studying this.

www.dvm.com/ ......................

CLINICAL SIGNS

The clinical manifestations of hyperlipidemia in dogs are associated with dysfunction in the gastrointestinal, neurologic, and ocular systems. The primary clinical findings include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, abdominal distention, anorexia, seizure activity, lipemia retinalis, and lipemic aqueous humor.1-3 Although clinical signs and history may be consistent with pancreatitis, laboratory data and imaging studies may fail to support a diagnosis of pancreatitis. Because of the large size of chylomicrons, severe hyperchylomicronemia (> 1,000 mg/dl) can result in the occlusion of organ blood vessels.1 If the pancreatic vessels are occluded, subsequent pancreatic ischemia results in a vicious cycle of lipase leakage, fatty acid degeneration, free radical production, and tissue damage with secondary pancreatitis.1 In people and animals, sustained hyperlipidemia is a principal risk factor for developing pancreatitis, and patients that present with pancreatitis should be evaluated for hyperlipidemia.1,2

1 - 1 of 1 Posts