Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we brought home my puppy Mocha, he was very calm and quiet and didn't bite anyone. He played with his toys and didn't bite the furniture or bother the cat. He didn't just and waited patiently for us to pet him. As he got use to the house, he got more hyper and destructive. Now, when I get home, he lunges at me, both trying to bite and lick me. He's been biting furniture, people and anything else he can fit into his mouth. He destroys the house and pesters the cat.
I know this is pretty much just normal puppy behaviour and I was ready to accept the downsides to owning a 10-week-old puppy rather then a calm adult, but I want some help in stopping or at least slowing down this behaviour. He only seems to calm down I sit down and show him I won't play anymore, so if I'm doing something then he's after me, trying to nip and my hands and sometimes my face, though he's never got my face or hurt my in any way. When he bites he doesn't apply much pressure. I've tried what the stickies recommended, as well as some other recommendations made to me from experienced dog owners, but nothing seems to be working. Can anyone help me stop this behaviour? I love him and he can be so sweet but if he does this much longer I may now have a house to come back to.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
How are you confining him to sleep and when you are away? You need a crate, and probably an expen as well. What type of training are you doing? When does your training class start? How much exercise is he getting outdoors?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now he doesn't have a crate. A family friend needed it to transport her puppy a few cities away while she looks for a job. Until then we have him confined to a room where he can't get into anything while we're not supervising. When I went to the washroom however he grabbed some stuff off the table and shredded it. Rather then the destruction I'm worried about the biting any hyperactivity. Currently I'm training him to do basic commands, making sure he masters one before starting another. I'm also training him to walk on a leash, but he doesn't like leaving the property so unless I were to drag him, he wouldn't go. My vet told us not to put him into any training classes until he's 20 weeks so that he has all of his shots. He's 10 weeks now. I try to bring him out 5 times a day and play with him in the back yard for 10-30 min each time. He goes on 1-2 walks a day lasting 30-40 min depending on if he's cooperating. Also, he tries to act very dominant. He's house broken too, and is a great dog, I just worry about the slight aggression he's been showing lately. Any help?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
What do you mean by aggression? From your posts, I notice you say he's hyperactive, and he nips/bites, and is destructive with furniture and such. But, none of that is aggression. It's a very high energy puppy.
How long have you had him? It can take time and lots of repetition to teach a puppy not to nip, as it's something so normal to them. You have to be consistent and do the same exact thing every time he bites.

Getting your crate back will really be a big help. One thing is, when a puppy is confined to a crate (at night, or when you are gone, or when you can't actively supervise) they mostly just sleep.

Really do a thorough job of puppy proofing your house, also. Don't leave anything out in his reach. Dogs, especially puppies, don't have a concept of right vs. wrong. You CAN teach them what you DO want them to do, and prevent (by managing) them from doing things you DON'T want them to do. But, they never really understand "that's bad, I shouldn't do it."

So, leaving things out they can get to is just setting them up to fail.
Make sure he has a lot of toys, different varieties. And, a frozen, stuffed kong can keep a puppy busy for awhile. When our dogs were younger we would give them a frozen, stuffed kong (peanut butter was their favorite stuffing) every time we left the house. They would work on licking the peanut butter out of the kong, or sleep, but that's about it....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts