Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a 1-yr-old female schnoodle. She has been through level 2 training (emphasizing listening with distractions), but there is one concern I still have that can't really be addressed in a class. She is super-friendly, especially to other dogs, and I haven't been able to train her to be polite when meeting other dogs on walks. She strains on the leash to get to them, jumps on them, bounces around, etc. Without dogs around, she does not pull on the leash. I am completely challenged as to how to address this, since one trainer told me that if I react too harshly, I can create leash aggression. Also, she is not interested in treats in the slightest when other dogs are around. If I can, I have her sit, and this works sometimes. There is usually a fair amount of whimpering and sometimes yipping while sitting - a little like a tantrum. If I release her while she is sitting, she launches forward like a rocket to greet the other dog. If we pass another dog on a walk, she bounces on the end of the leash to see them as long as possible.

Has anyone else had this experience? How did you deal with it? I have noticed a slight escalation in her frustration level, so I want to get started on a positive course of action as soon as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts