Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

please can anyone help, I have a 3 month Lab and he is very hyper most of the day, has 3 walks a day. Can anyone advise on how to calm him down pls??

·
Banned
166 Posts
Hi All,
please can anyone help, I have a 3 month Lab and he is very hyper most of the day, has 3 walks a day. Can anyone advise on how to calm him down pls??
My boy bosco, who recently turned one years old on labor day is also quite hyper. Others including my vet has suggested i should at a minimum enlist the help of a basic obedience trainer. Personally i enjoy letting my dog be a dog and believe it will settle down on its own sooner or later. If not, that's ok too, i could use the exercise...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

Sometimes physical exercise isn’t all a dog needs, especially such a young puppy! The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month, twice a day of physical exercise. Of course this varies per dog, but it’s mostly to keep your puppies joints healthy. They’re still babies! :)
Instead, think about how much mental exercise your pup gets in a day. How much training do you do? How many chews/toys do they have available? These can all help bring down your puppies hyperactivity. (Do note though : This is a puppy! Hyperactivity comes with them!)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood. Go easy on the walks, unless they are nice, slow sniffy walks. Repetitive forced exercise, where the human direct the speed and duration, can be hard on puppies. Several short training sessions throughout the day can burn up as much, if not more, energy than walking can. Let him free play as much as he wants, but be aware that an overtired puppy is also a bitey, hyper puppy, so make sure you enforce nap times. Other than that, maturity is the best way for them to calm down. Eventually.... If he is working or field bred, it make take a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The walls are 3 times a day 15-20 mins each time. Play fetch and drop in the garden or ball games. He is toilet trained, sleeps all night so I know I’m doing something right, just gets very hyper and jumps up and nips. I think he needs to get more nap time during the day any advice would be great and thank you to all that have commented.

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
Yep, naps are super important for baby puppies! They need 18-20 hours a day, believe it or not. Some puppies are really good about sleeping on their own, but others struggle with winding down enough to sleep, and then they get overtired, extra impulsive, and cranky. My younger dog had to have enforced naps as a puppy. We put him in his pen, where he could still see what we were doing but couldn't follow us around everywhere, and gave him calming activities like a puppy safe chew or a stuffed food toy (like the Kong Classic). He stayed there until he fell asleep, then we let him nap until he naturally woke up again on his own.

You can also work on calming exercises like Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol or Deb Jone's Zen Games, but for a three month old puppy I'd start with making sure he's getting enough sleep and go from there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nipping. Never heard of her. I'm not posting my method on this forum, but look into how mother dogs curb nipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts