Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 week old Shih Tzu has moments throughout the day of hyper ness. We have multiple chew toys, try to stimulate him indoors and outdoors. I am not sure how to calm him down when he gets hyper. I provide chew toys which seem to help but sometimes he begins to run in circles for a few minutes. Is this normal behaviour for a pup?
Feeling a little overwhelmed.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Puppies are just high energy. That's what they do. They often get what is called the "zoomies" when they go completely butt tucked running crazy for a short period of time.

Things I usually do to help keep puppies occupied:
- Stuffed frozen kong with yogurt, peanut butter or canned dog food
- Feed meals in puzzle toys like a Bob a lot or Kong Wobbler type of thing
- Short training sessions of basic manners and sometimes little tricks just to tire them out.. also can use meals
- Visit to a puppy safe place (not high traffic with dogs because of risk of parvo)
- Puppy class, to help give me a goal on manners to work on and a night of tired puppy

Once you know puppy has had stuff to do and -still- doesn't chill out.. they might be overtired. Some puppies need to be put in the crate to settle, or taught to settle in the crate. Crate time is a good time to give those stuffed kongs or chews.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Once you know puppy has had stuff to do and -still- doesn't chill out.. they might be overtired.
I always thought the zoomies were due to me not doing enough to tire out the dog but the trainer told me it was over-tired-ness (like you mentioned). So I started observing and almost every time my puppy starts doing laps like that it's near the end of the day and a long nap follows. With this dog it seems to be a sign off a job well done on my part.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine are the same, end of day zoomies for 10-15 minutes, then they are out for the night. Just that last burst of energy before a good night's sleep, as if they need to burn off muscle tension or whatever. Normal for my pack, I let them go to it, they will clam down in a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Normal. In fact, some hyperactivity happens when the puppy is tired and it is time for a nap. I have seen that too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts