Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 week old lab mix left two half dollar sized puddles during puppy school last week and the trainer said that he was overhydrated. I have a full bowl of water out for my older dog who has learned to self-regulate, but the puppy drinks like he's just finished a crawl through the desert. I thought I was already doing a good job monitoring his water intake, but now I'm not sure. The day of training, he hadn't had anything to eat or drink for almost 5 hours before the class. How do you know how much water is enough? It's been really hot, and I'm afraid of letting him get dehydrated.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Hey I have a lab mix too! :)

They sure love water.

I've never heard about "overhydration" - interesting.

I have learned about discouraging a puppy from consuming too much water directly after eating (along with not letting a dog drink/eat heavily before exercise) as it is thought to contribute to bloat and stomach flipping, but I have never heard of a dog being "overhydrated" as its own condition.

Could it be the pup peed because of nervousness, submission, or some other reason?

I really wouldn't restrict water (except for the above) especially to a puppy and especially if it's hot. . . .

How much is your pup drinking a day?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I have a lab mix too! :)

Could it be the pup peed because of nervousness, submission, or some other reason?

I really wouldn't restrict water (except for the above) especially to a puppy and especially if it's hot. . . .

How much is your pup drinking a day?
I don't think he was peeing for any reason other than he had to go. After the comment about overhydrating, I tried measuring his intake, and he's up to around 8 ounces of water a day measured, but he's also been lunging at the adult dog's bowl on the way out the door and will stand at the splash pool and gulp water as well. While we're outside he'll stop and squeeze out 10 drops at a time, so the housebreaking thing isn't working well so far. Hence the overhydration comment.

I'm really missing my pit now. He was such a good puppy mentor.

I'd take up the adult's water bowl, but he's a 12yr old mal/collie mix with the double coat and the long silky collie coat, and the heat index has been over 100 for weeks. I just can't do that to the old guy. I fell asleep last night with an ice pack on my shoulder and woke up with a malamute on an ice pack on my shoulder. He needs to go buy his own ice pack.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I tried to restrict water from Zoey for a while when she was a puppy... then I caught her up on the table drinking out of my flower vases. I haven't restricted water to any dog since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts