Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am brand new to this forum site and seeking helpful and hopeful advice that you may give me.

I have husky x JRT mix rescue that is all husky but with short JRT legs. So long body and short legs. His energy level is yes off the charts and turning 2 in July.

The problem is when he exerts himself too much, he will wear himself out and his back left leg will become sore and sometimes it's difficult for him to stand by the end of the night. I live in a city Canada where we can have all or any of the 4 seasons in 1 or any day in the year and right now, I can't take him outside to swim as a form of exercise because we still have snow and it is mid April. (Grrr... mother nature)

Does anyone have or does high energy low impact forms of exercise/play time that they do with their dogs?

Thanks!

Yes, I have spoken to his vet about this and he said he is fine with no damage or injuries to his leg during his exam in February

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Mental stimulation can tire him out as much as physical activity, without the risk of injury that intense physical activity brings.

Work on training things like tricks and obedience. Do More With Your Dog offers trick titles that you can do through Facebook training groups. Do More With Your Dog! - Do More With Your Dog

Scent games, like looking for treats hidden around the house or a handful of kibble tossed into the grass or nosework training are excellent for wearing them out.

Physical conditioning would probably be a good idea, as well. There are still a couple of day left to enroll in the current session at the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy's online classes, and they are running their Fitness in Five conditioning class. Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - CC420: Helping Dogs Thrive: Fitness in Five

Since he's a JRT cross, you might want to talk to your vet about the possibility of Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease. It's pretty common in terrier breeds. Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease in Dogs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mental stimulation can tire him out as much as physical activity, without the risk of injury that intense physical activity brings.

Work on training things like tricks and obedience. Do More With Your Dog offers trick titles that you can do through Facebook training groups. Do More With Your Dog! - Do More With Your Dog

Scent games, like looking for treats hidden around the house or a handful of kibble tossed into the grass or nosework training are excellent for wearing them out.

Physical conditioning would probably be a good idea, as well. There are still a couple of day left to enroll in the current session at the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy's online classes, and they are running their Fitness in Five conditioning class. Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - CC420: Helping Dogs Thrive: Fitness in Five

Since he's a JRT cross, you might want to talk to your vet about the possibility of Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease. It's pretty common in terrier breeds. Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease in Dogs
Thanks so much!
I never would have thought about mental stimulation for some reason!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thinking is exhausting. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts