Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 6 month old rescue husky and she’s super smart but she won’t listen to my mom and her biting/nipping at my mom is crazy if I leave the house or go have a shower etc. Mom has trouble getting around she has a walker and canes so she can’t put the dog in the crate the way I can. How do I get dog to listen to my mom better???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Making your dog listen to your mom depends upon the relationship they both share. Greater the bond, the more attentiveness the dog is likely to be.
So, first, work on bonding between them. You can make your mom command the dog and whenever it obeys give it a treat. Start with basic and simple commands and try to practice perfecting these.
And at last keep trying as practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is just me, but if your mother can't get around except with a walker or canes, I don't think she should be alone with the dog loose, not even while you shower. I have large dogs, and when I broke an ankle, I rented a wheelchair and used it to get around whenever there was the slightest chance of exuberant dogs accidentally bumping into me in the first weeks of healing, even though I was technically using crutches. It's not that my dogs don't obey me, just that I wasn't willing to risk getting knocked off my feet with a surgically repaired ankle.

I'm older myself. Old bones break easier. Old skin tears easier. So in your shoes, I'd work on teaching the puppy to be respectful and obedient to your mother, but I wouldn't take any chances either. I'd put that young dog in a crate or gated off room any time I couldn't be present to intervene and supervise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts