Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adopting a beautiful, sweet female husky/shepherd mix, 8 months old. I have experience with GS but not with Huskies. The shelter tells me she is very smart (figured out how to open doors) and that this breed is notorious for escaping fences. I also read they can be very destructive. I want to make a decision with my head and not just my heart. Can anyone provide any personal experiences (good or bad) with having a Husky? Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I am definitely a dog person. Love and adore them. Would never, ever give one up to a shelter. This means that if I adopt one, I will keep them and care for them, no matter what. That being said, I don’t particularly want my house tore up because I picked a breed that was not right for me. I am torn because I see a beautiful, sweet, playful dog who needs a home. My heart takes over instead of my head. I can take her for walks and have a fenced yard and a dog door, and can buy her mentally stimulating toys, but I work a 40 hour a week job and have 2 other dogs. I dont know that I can give her the amount of daily activity a Husky apparently needs. I hate that she is in a shelter and has watched as her sister got adopted and she didn’t. She was adopted a few weeks ago and brought back in a few days. They claimed they didn’t have a yard or the time to exercise her. I could never adopt a dog then take them back. She is mixed with GSD so I am not sure how much of her personality is husky. The shelter has now put a lot of stipulations on her adoption and I met all those. Im worried that they will have a hard time finding someone who is willing to meet all the stipulations. (Must have a 6 foot fence with nothing available for her to get on to jump over the fence, no gap between the fence and ground, must not crate her, must not leave her unsupervised in the yard - which means dog door closed when not home, must have another dog in the home that interacts well with her, etc). I want her. I am just worried I will come home to a torn up house or a dog that is gone after jumping or digging out of a 6 foot fence.
I also worry that with all the stipulations there my be things they are not telling me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are worried about her escaping. They did say she had separation anxiety and that the people who took her for a few days reported she chewed part of the crate. I dont crate my dogs because i have a dog door and a yard.
I have asked more questions (is she destructive, does she howl, etc) and am waiting on a reply. Im not ready to give up yet. She is a beautiful sweet dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just put up a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence that doesnt have any boards running crossways to climb on. We buried chicken wire on the ground by the fence to detour digging. I had 3 dogs for 8 years that I left the dog door open for everyday when i went to work and they never got out from a 4 foot picket fence. Hopefully a 6 foot fence with the other measures will help with her. I work 4 days a week outside of the house and have a camera inside to see the dogs and I can communicate with them while i’m at work. My plott hound has seperation anxiety but all he does is stand at the window and bark for a few hours after I leave. I dont know if they know for sure she has seperation anxiety. They said she has anxiety. I had a GSD/Chow mix and she had terrible anxiety. Twix (the dog im considering adopting) didnt display any signs of anxiety when we did a meet and greet with my golden. She was playful, jumped in the kiddie pool with him and splashed around, came over and mouthed me and wanted me to play.
They have a behaviorist at this shelter. She seems to feel my fence and the added measures will work for her. She also thinks having other dogs will help with separation. I dont think they have noticed any destructive behavior but she is very smart. She figured out how to open a door thetr and when the behaviorist set up some obstacles to opening the door, she started figuring out how to move things to get it open. At 10 months old, she walks better on a leash then my 8 year old golden ever has.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I was only focused on “she is sweet and cute” etc, I would not be on here asking for advice. I’m not an idiot and I am an experienced dog owner. I never said my fence was escape proof, I said I have put precautions in place to help detour her. They approved me, my fence set up, everything. I was asking for information from people whi have had the breed. Thank you all for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts