Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
I'm going to be a little harsher, then I'll back off. A husky is nothing like a GSD, except in colors. Huskies were bred to be high energy and independent, while GSDs were meant to be intelligent, trainable, and obedient.

My next door neighbor has a pair of huskies. They howl every time an ambulance comes by ... and we live near a hospital. The dogs are not unfriendly, but they are continually socialized, so they are a little shy around other people. They get bored easily, because the owners can't run them, so they used to jump over a 6 foot fence and run the neighborhood. Other than terrorizing cats that were roaming outside, they didn't cause any problems, except that they were running loose. Eventually, they came back home. The owners had to build a 'cage' to keep the dogs from escaping and being destructive.

If you live in a location where you can run this dog twice a day, you may be able to handle her energy requirements. She will need a lot of training just to keep her mind busy, lots of socialization, and possibly a metal crate for when she matures and wants to go for a run herself.

If you are very active, are a runner, and would like a constant companion, this may be a good dog. But, a Husky is not a dog that you pat on the head in the morning, and then take for a 10 min. potty break when you get home from work. On the other hand, she may be a chilled-out, predominantly GSD mix.

I guess the main questions are how destructive is she right now, and how much of an escape artist is she? Will the shelter let you take her for 2 - 4 months to see how she fits with your lifestyle?

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Walking is just good behavior for a stranger. ;-) Twix may not have all the husky issues, but I think you should ask for the trial period option to verify that your dogs get along OK with her in your home, and that you can manage her separation anxiety, and escape artist capabilities.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts