Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A couple ideas.

#1 Rather than load his crate with goodies actually play with it. Look into crate games. I simply lead dog into crate cuing 'go to crate' or something then a happy OKAY and roll the treat out of the crate as he charged back out. End goal of this particular game is being able to send the dog to the crate, close the door, open the door, walk away and release as you roll the treat away from the crate. That's just one game and it is not designed to train the dog to stay happily in the crate but to make the crate a good place to be. After he's happy going in there then have him go in at times it would be convenient to have him out of the way, when you are cooking, vacuuming, entertaining and so on. At those times you would go to the crate and treat him for being a good dog every so often. My stinker loves his bed because while he is often getting long talks about his behavior when he's in that bed he is always a good dog. I try but my manner isn't going to be completely positive when he's been a stinker and I practice what the right thing to do is.

Idea #2. I agree, sometimes a dog is better off out of a crate. Limit his resources for trouble as much as you can. I'd leave my dogs in the closed off hall if they were really good at getting into things. I do keep them from looking out a front facing window, that helps a lot. You don't want your dog to be barking when you are gone!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts