Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! So, we have had our SWEET guy for about 3 months now.... I guess that makes him 9 months and a bit old. He's a BABE! WE love him. However, the first few weeks we decided to not crate him and he really messed up the place and changed our views on crating. He had been crated at his foster and she said that he hated it but did it. he was crated all night and would usually pee the crate.
So, we start crating, never more than 3 hours at a time and from the hours of 9 am to about 4 but not on all 5 work days. So, not that much... maybe a couple of hours on the weeknd and he sleeps on a bed beside ours. .

Anyhoo... the issue? He hates his crate. when we are gone he howls and barks, he tries to bust out and covers his paws in slobber from drooling on the bars and biting them, we assume. He never soils his crate but he hates it. We feed his meals in it. WE treat him in his crate. We put him in there when we are home for a bit. He 's in a good, open area. I just feel bad as, of course, our only neighbor works from him and I am afraid his patience with us will end. I am not sure what to do. I feel bad for the puppy, he's such a good guy. I wish I didn't have to crate him or I wish he would learn to just accept it. It really stresses me out as if it were just us, I'd be like, sorry baby dog... but I fear the wrath of a neighbor.
Thanks all... any suggestions are welcome.
Oh we do walk him a lot...
Just an FYYI

·
Registered
73 Posts
Huskies are pack animals and they love to be with people. Give the husky a nice run before putting it in it's kennel then put in a cow joint bone or antlers so he has something to chew on :):)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH I know it... he's a really honey and LOVES his people. He has a ton of toys in there. ANtler horn, cow joint, puzzle toy. He's just set on his little way of being out. We are thinking of setting up cameras and leaving him out of crate to see how he does. Thanks a lot... hope it goes well. If it were just him, I'd be fine but that neighbor must be getting annoyed! :|

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we are going to test that as frankly? I'd prefer to just leave him out and let him nap and look out the window all day. When we first got him, for the first 2 weeks, he really was a huge hooligan out of crate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OH I know it... he's a really honey and LOVES his people. He has a ton of toys in there. ANtler horn, cow joint, puzzle toy. He's just set on his little way of being out. We are thinking of setting up cameras and leaving him out of crate to see how he does. Thanks a lot... hope it goes well. If it were just him, I'd be fine but that neighbor must be getting annoyed! :|
I don't have mine in kennels past eight months. Your neighbor might be getting annoyed but it's a nine month old puppy hahaha it's okay. Make sure all important things are put up ;-)

·
Registered
73 Posts
we are going to test that as frankly? I'd prefer to just leave him out and let him nap and look out the window all day. When we first got him, for the first 2 weeks, he really was a huge hooligan out of crate.
Do you have a room he can go in?? That has hard wood floors or something easy to clean. :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A couple ideas.

#1 Rather than load his crate with goodies actually play with it. Look into crate games. I simply lead dog into crate cuing 'go to crate' or something then a happy OKAY and roll the treat out of the crate as he charged back out. End goal of this particular game is being able to send the dog to the crate, close the door, open the door, walk away and release as you roll the treat away from the crate. That's just one game and it is not designed to train the dog to stay happily in the crate but to make the crate a good place to be. After he's happy going in there then have him go in at times it would be convenient to have him out of the way, when you are cooking, vacuuming, entertaining and so on. At those times you would go to the crate and treat him for being a good dog every so often. My stinker loves his bed because while he is often getting long talks about his behavior when he's in that bed he is always a good dog. I try but my manner isn't going to be completely positive when he's been a stinker and I practice what the right thing to do is.

Idea #2. I agree, sometimes a dog is better off out of a crate. Limit his resources for trouble as much as you can. I'd leave my dogs in the closed off hall if they were really good at getting into things. I do keep them from looking out a front facing window, that helps a lot. You don't want your dog to be barking when you are gone!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Like Kathyy said, look into crate games. Have you tried a crate cover? Sometimes making it into more of a den helps them feel safe in there.

Some dogs just really don't like crates, and nothing you do can make them like it. In that case, is there a room you can confine him to to minimize damage? Hard floors are preferable, no furniture. Perhaps the kitchen, and make sure all food is off the counters and garbage is locked up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts