Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Well, we finally got a new puppy after grieving the loss of my german shepherd, Maddie. We got a little husky/lab mix named Fable and he's about 6 months old. he is a rescue and we have had him for 3 days now.

He's VERY sweet and very friendly and great with our young-ish kids. He's a real love bug. We are having a pretty good time teaching him some manners, he has a bed next to our bed and one downstairs but has been sleeping downstairs lately. He's got a lot of energy and his house training is going pretty well save for a couple of accidents

couple of questions... we have him in one area of the house and while we were away for 3-4 hours max, he got in and ripped up some stuff in the kitchen pantry. Our bad but he's done it twice. He's also ripped up a curtain on the window so he can see outside via our knock out window.

I can't tell if he's got separation anxiety or if he's just getting used to new us and new schedule. I know we should crate him but the one time I tried, he howled like he was being killed. I only know this as my neighbor was 'kind' enough to tell me as soon as I came home. he doesnt' bark or whine outside the crate.

I leave him with a TON of chew toys and puzzle food toys and a kong with peanut butter in it. He is not alone for more than 3 hours at a stretch.

Also? I know his foster used to just let him out into the yard to pee and poop so now, no matter how long a walk we take him on, 9x out of 10x he'll still only pee and poop in the yard. I clean up, obviously but I would really love to not have him think our yard is is toilet!

So, any words of advice would be great. Thanks a lot1
:D

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
3 days? It takes months before a dog is used to a new home. Max didn't pee away from home for 8 days after arrival. He was about that age too.

Since he has already gotten into mischief I'd go straight into lock down the house mode. Put baby latches on lower cabinets and drawers if food is kept there, be sure dirty dishes are in the latched dishwasher and nothing on counters. Put things you handle like remotes away. Throws and pillows in another room. I know. Sassy was a master counter surfer. 22" tall and she could pull heavy casserole dishes from the bottom of the sink and reach the furthest corner of the counter.

Do learn about crate games but it will take time for him to adjust. I want to know if my dog is being noisy and would appreciate a neighbor letting me know one way or another.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Doesn't really sound like separation anxiety, just a young pup who gets into stuff when his owners aren't watching. Can you puppy proof the room he is allowed to be in? Lock cabinets, lock up trash, eliminate his ability to get into anything he shouldn't? If you can't, then a crate is the best option. It's normal for dogs to howl when they're in the crate, especially if its a new place.

What do you mean your yard isn't the toilet? Do you live in a rural area where the dog can go out in a field or something, or do you live in town? If you live in town, are other people's yards and public spaces your dog's toilet, lol? Some dogs just like only going at home. Personally, I prefer when dogs only go at home because then I don't have to clean it up right away! If he goes in parks or out on a walk, then I have to pick it up and carry it.

If you live in a rural area and want him to go in a ditch or a field or something, sometimes putting some of his waste in the area you want him to go helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're totally right! I live in a town and we are renting our house !I always pick up the poop but I guess I am afraid that the pee will kill the grass! :D But seeing what you wrote makes sense, I should consider myself lucky! ;) THis is what I think too, he just seems like a young pup getting into nonsense when his people aren't home and he's in a totally new place (3 days!) He doesn't show me the signs of what I would think real SA would be, he is good being left in another room and outside for a bit.
Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Seems normal to me. Our golden retriever puppy ate a couch, curtains, and numerous books while unsupervised.

I'd work on crate training. Yes they'll howl and cry at first, but they get over it. Just make it a happy place with a kong or a chew toy and a blanket. Crate him when you're home too so he realizes it's not a bad thing. Heck my puppy went to her crate on her own to nap right now, and she hated it at first too. I got her a big one after she was housetrained and we could fit 3 of her in there, so I don't feel bad leaving her in there even 7 hours if I have to (very rarely). If I leave her alone, she likes to counter surf and eat my kids' toys (they're still bad at putting them away), so I'm just not taking the risk. I even crate her if I'm going upstairs to get on the treadmill for 1 hour.

Also, here it's my neighbors who complain when my dog pees and poops on their lawn (it's the part between the sidewalk and the street), so you really can't win. I actually wish my dog didn't save all her business for her walks because I'm tired of carrying poop bags!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You're totally right! I live in a town and we are renting our house !I always pick up the poop but I guess I am afraid that the pee will kill the grass! :D But seeing what you wrote makes sense, I should consider myself lucky! ;) THis is what I think too, he just seems like a young pup getting into nonsense when his people aren't home and he's in a totally new place (3 days!) He doesn't show me the signs of what I would think real SA would be, he is good being left in another room and outside for a bit.
Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!
Since you have a boy dog, they often mark on trees and stuff. My dog always pees on my fence, lol. So we don't get too many pee burns on our lawn. Sounds stupid, but sticking a sapling sized pole in the ground might encourage him to pee on the pole, and thus the pee isn't concentrated enough to burn the grass, lol. But my dog pees on EVERYTHING that is upright outside. Also, they do sell grass that is resistant to pee burn. We fill in the patches with that stuff, and we haven't had problems ever again. It's just something you have to deal when you're a dog owner, because if they're not peeing on and killing your lawn, they're killing somebody else's...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts