Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, well new to site, have a seroius question here, hard to ask it some where else because more people dont understand huskies or this situation and just go off ranting about how its my fault and the dog is bad....well here it goes

At the dog park today with my 2 year old husky and 6 month old husky, went to go get the 2 year old to leave when this lady comes running saying he killed her teacup yorkie. Well the husky is a very sweet dog around the house and never shows sign of aggression or trys to harm the lil maltipoo. I didnt see the situation go down so I cant say what happened. But makes me wonder why is such a small small dog at a dog park here such large dogs as great danes go? Whos really at fault here? Im on the side she shouldnt have brought a small dog to the park, if it wasnt my dog, whos to say another high prey driven dog do it?

Anywhere else I go I get the your at blame, its your fault, your a bad owner, huskies arnt bad, you need to train you dog...blah..blah...blah

These people dont know that huskies have a untrainable prey drive when at a older age so please dont go off saying its all my fault. Its not like I can be by the huskies side 100 percent of the time, because isnt that they point of a dog park to let them run free?

Also will they require the dog to be put down?
Our city does have a small dog only park as well, why wasnt she there?

·
Registered
178 Posts
i don't think you can really turn this around and put her at fault for using the same dog park as you, she shouldn't have had to go to a different dog park because her dog is small and honestly, if i was out with my dog and they told me that because my pup is tiny i should go somewhere else, i'd be quite offended. no one should have to worry about going to the dog park and having their dog being attacked while the owner isn't around to even witness it. i'm kind of curious as to why you weren't right there watching your dog? if i go anywhere, whether it be a park or simply outside my house, my eyes are on my dog the entire time. personally, i think you need to get a better handle on your situation.. especially if you intend on continuing to take your dogs out to public places. instead of focusing on it being "more her fault" or pushing the blame on reasons like "she shouldn't have been there" or "if it wasn't my dog, it could've been someone elses" you need to figure out a way to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know if I mentioned, but he ran ahead of me. I didnt just let him go and I went to read a book, it happened so quick, unless I was right by him I couldnt have stopped it because all it takes is one bite to that small dog.

When you go to a dog park, your dog by your side 100 percent of the time? The 2 year old will not be out to the park anymore, or even be alive tomorrow if it goes down the way I think. But like I said why bring such a small dog that can be hurt from falling off a chair?

I feel you are making me out as a bad owner when I am not, my dogs are well behaved at the house, listen and are trained, they are treated like a member of the family and have the best care they can get. This was a husky being a husky moment, not a dog being deadly.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think they put them down (yuck I hate that term) for people bites first offense-- I know here in SF they have a doggie court run by Animal Care and Control that will do something along the lines of mandating that your dog has to wear a muzzle when out in public which is better than death I guess. I have big dogs too-- and with my Giant schnauzer I always have to monitor her for her prey drive kicking in -- she is often triggered by sudden quick movements and I know her impulse is to chase and catch... It is always the Big dogs Fault (popular perception) in my experience...

·
Registered
178 Posts
i never said you went to read a book? dogs run ahead of you, that happens.. but when it happens you have to be prepared for the consequences.. its an unfortunate situation all around, for both you and the other owner.

i never said my dog was by my side 100 percent of the time, but i did say i keep my eye on my dog - which i do. she is small, which means i do keep a closer eye on her because she could be injured, but she's not made of glass. she can keep up with the other dogs and have fun, just like yours can. why bring it to the park? the same reason you bring yours.. socialization, exercise, fun. this situation could've been a large dog attacking another one and injuring or killing it.. what would your argument be then? the other large one shouldn't have been there because it took up too much space? regardless, what i'm trying to say is although your opinion is that the smaller dog shouldn't have been there, you're not going to go to a dog park and be able to pick out what specific breeds you want there.. when you go, you're meeting all sorts of other dogs; large, small, obnoxious, shy, etc.

by no means am i making you out to be a bad owner, i'm telling you my opinion on the matter. you could be a great owner for all i know, but i personally find it ridiculous for the matter to be turned around on the other owner.. what did you want by posting this? my opinion on the matter, or for me to confirm what you think, which is this wasn't your fault and the woman with the yorkie is wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
as much as I hate it, even tho the husky is a great family member, I have a hard time trusting him since he did this, im afraid to have him out of his crate. He is always nice, but I just cant bring myself to let him out right now

i never said you went to read a book? dogs run ahead of you, that happens.. but when it happens you have to be prepared for the consequences.. its an unfortunate situation all around, for both you and the other owner.

i never said my dog was by my side 100 percent of the time, but i did say i keep my eye on my dog - which i do. she is small, which means i do keep a closer eye on her because she could be injured, but she's not made of glass. she can keep up with the other dogs and have fun, just like yours can. why bring it to the park? the same reason you bring yours.. socialization, exercise, fun. this situation could've been a large dog attacking another one and injuring or killing it.. what would your argument be then? the other large one shouldn't have been there because it took up too much space? regardless, what i'm trying to say is although your opinion is that the smaller dog shouldn't have been there, you're not going to go to a dog park and be able to pick out what specific breeds you want there.. when you go, you're meeting all sorts of other dogs; large, small, obnoxious, shy, etc.

by no means am i making you out to be a bad owner, i'm telling you my opinion on the matter. you could be a great owner for all i know, but i personally find it ridiculous for the matter to be turned around on the other owner.. what did you want by posting this? my opinion on the matter, or for me to confirm what you think, which is this wasn't your fault and the woman with the yorkie is wrong.
Isn't that why we all ask questions? To confirm our thoughts?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Why are you afraid to let him out of his crate? By your account he's not an aggressive dog, it was his prey drive that kicked in when he saw a very small animal. That doesn't make him a bad or dangerous dog, and he doesn't deserve to be confined to his crate.

As for the incident, I agree that the other owner has just as much right to be there as you, and you both should have been watching your dogs closely. Ideally you shouldn't let the dog out of your sight, and I'm not sure how big this dog park was that he disappeared to somewhere where you couldn't see or hear him and had no idea what other dogs were in the park....? Seems to me that it's common sense to not let him run up to smaller dogs, and to always keep an eye on him and to have a reliable enough recall that you can call him back if you need to.

That said, the other owner with the tiny dog should have been more careful too. I certainly wouldn't let my dogs run around in a dog park where there were very large high prey drive dogs also running around.

I think this is just a terrible accident, and if it happened the way you said that he disappeared out of sight for only a few seconds to somewhere where you couldn't see him, then it's really no one's fault. Or both people's fault.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Was the yorkie on a leash?

If this were the type of dog park that's fenced, with a big dog section and a small dog section, and the woman let her little yorkie run around in the big dog section, then I'd agree she's at fault. However, it sounds like this is a large unfenced park for dogs of all sizes, right? In that case you should have had your dog on a leash. I've owned northern breeds and I know first-hand about the prey drive and about the difficulty in training recall. If your dog won't come when you call him, every time, and you know there's a possibility -- even a slight one -- that he might chase and kill someone's small dog, then he should never be off-leash in an area where all sizes of dogs run and play.

I don't think your dog is a bad dog, not at all. Prey drive is a natural thing. But I don't think the woman is at fault here. She had just as much right to be at the park with her dog as you did. I don't know how much you know about small dogs, but they enjoy fresh air and need walks just as much as big dogs do.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
IMO your the reason most people hate dog parks. You obviously do not keep track of your dogs. you should npt be bringing your dogs there unless you solidly watch them the whole time. A dog park is not meant to let the dogs free and sit back and relax. that irresponsible. you are at fault for your dog killing some one elses beloved family member. Small or not, that dog deserves to be there as much as the next dog. Just because he is smal doesnt mean he shouldnt be allowed to run and play like any other dog. thats ignorant to say. A properly bred yourkie will nto break falling off a chair, they are reboost little working dogs. (No such thing as a teacup one, or maltipoo for that matter either)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I used to take my collie to an unfenced dog park. Dogs of all sizes were there, but most were pretty large dogs. There were always a couple of larger dogs who were leashed. In talking to the owners, I found out it was because they had high prey drives, and there were little dogs at the park. The vast majority of owners of little dogs kept their dogs leashed, too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
if this was the first time something like this has happened, it should now have made you very aware of the prey drive that husky's have, although you should know that anyway.
we dont have dog parks over here, just open spaces where people walk their dogs. the only time branston goes off lead is in the local woods where its safe for him to do so, he has a really high prey drive and still wont learn his recall despite months & months of practice.
i think you have to take equal blame for the situation and never let him over the dog park again without a lead on.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I dont know if I mentioned, but he ran ahead of me. I didnt just let him go and I went to read a book, it happened so quick, unless I was right by him I couldnt have stopped it because all it takes is one bite to that small dog.
Sorry but I think you are at fault here. The small dog has as much right to be at the dog park as your big dog. You should have had control over your dog. I see big and small dogs at our dog park all the time. You shouldn't be reading a book at the dog park, you should be paying attention to your dog.

Stirb said:
When you go to a dog park, your dog by your side 100 percent of the time?
Not by our side, but within sight. Close enough where we have control. If you dog doesn't respond to voice commands in public than it didn't belong off leash.

Stirb said:
I feel you are making me out as a bad owner when I am not, my dogs are well behaved at the house, listen and are trained, they are treated like a member of the family and have the best care they can get. This was a husky being a husky moment, not a dog being deadly.
Dogs behave completely different at your home than they do in public. Huskies have a high prey drive. Part of being a husky owner is knowing this and being able to control your dog in public.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I remember when I was a kid my mom and I were walking her Shih Tzu. Someone was walking their dog(it was a doberman maybe?) and it barked at my mom..my moms shih tzu went insane and tried to kill the dog(no joke, actually tried to bite its throat). The doberman stood there in shock. Both parties apologized.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
A similar incident happened at my dog park. A retired racing Greyhound chased down and killed a small Maltese (?). Even though both owners were present and being watchful, there was nothing that could have stopped it from happening except prevention.

Now.. with that being said. You really need to control your dog. I know you have heard this a hundred thousand times by now, but honestly. Just put yourself in the other owners shoes for a second. YOUR dog gets attacked, injured and even killed by another dog. Wouldn't you be very distraught? You just lost a member of your family!

It will be up to the ACC to decide the fate of your dog. That is if it even went reported. You should not keep your dog in a crate! Crating is a management tool, not a lifelong banishment. Of course it is upsetting to realize the power and ferocity that your dog is capable of, but you really should be aware of this before you get a Northern breed.

My big suggestion to you? Don't go to an off leash dog park anymore.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Was the yorkie on a leash?

If this were the type of dog park that's fenced, with a big dog section and a small dog section, and the woman let her little yorkie run around in the big dog section, then I'd agree she's at fault. However, it sounds like this is a large unfenced park for dogs of all sizes, right? In that case you should have had your dog on a leash. I've owned northern breeds and I know first-hand about the prey drive and about the difficulty in training recall. If your dog won't come when you call him, every time, and you know there's a possibility -- even a slight one -- that he might chase and kill someone's small dog, then he should never be off-leash in an area where all sizes of dogs run and play.

I don't think your dog is a bad dog, not at all. Prey drive is a natural thing. But I don't think the woman is at fault here. She had just as much right to be at the park with her dog as you did. I don't know how much you know about small dogs, but they enjoy fresh air and need walks just as much as big dogs do.
I have to completely agree with you, Crantastic.

And I just have to say this...how on EARTH do you not feel even slightly at fault for what happened?? I'm absolutely shocked. Every dog owner has a responsibility for their dog's actions, and you seem to have demonstrated no foresight or accountability for what happened. Yes, it was a terrible accident. But a dog was killed, and you seem to brush this fact off as if it's ludicrous to even THINK you should share the fault.

It's your dog, it's your responsibility. Your dog may be "sweet around the house", but that really doesn't account for much. And it's a bit ridiculous that you now don't want to take him out of his crate. Grow up.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Some dogs just aren't meant to go to the dog park, unfortunately. Atlas and Loki both have high prey drives that kick in when they see a small dog running. Therefore, they are never off leash around larger dogs.

Before just jumping on the OP for being irresponsible, I'm surprised no one asked this question: Does the dog park you were at have a weight limit? If the city has a park for smaller dogs, then it stands to reason that there may be a weight limit at this park were larger dogs are running.

IMO, it's small dog owners who think that their tiny dogs can "hang" with the big guys that make dog parks dangerous. When a small dog owner refuses the small dog park specifically made for their dog and decides that their tiny dog can handle the big guys... Well, if the small dog gets hurt or killed, then that's the owner's fault and no one else's.

Your dogs should never be out of your sight at the dog park, and you shouldn't be reading a book. However, a lot of this situation depends upon whether there's a weight limit or not.

Also, check the rules of the dog park - most say "use at your own risk", because there is an inherent danger to ANY situation in which dogs are off leash. By those rules, your dog cannot be seized and euthanised, as anyone using the dog park has acknowledged that they are using it at their own risk.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yes, dogs should be within sight and voice at all times at the dog park. A dog with that strong of a prey drive (which doesn't make it a bad dog) should not go to the dog park, because like it or not people with small dogs have just as much of a right to be there as you do.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
It's not Husky, It's not Greyhounds, etc etc etc. It's large dog versus small prey size type dogs. Forget about fault and learn from the lesson being applied to your dog knowledge for the future handling of any large dog/breed. Obviously unless the Yorkie jumped into large dog's mouth to commit suicide it's the large dog/owners fault but it is an accident not done on purpose, so live and learn.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. The dog parks around here actually prohibit dogs under 9 lbs from being in any part of the unleashed park. Yet there are constantly teacup dogs there, because the owners think they can hang with the other dogs. Even a 25 lb dog can hurt a 6 lb teacup!

Your dog hasn't changed. He had a reaction to small prey that was fatal. I would watch him closely around small animals and no more dog park. I would also have apologized to the owner of the small dog. Even if you couldn't stop it, your dog did kill another. The woman deserved an apology at the very least.
I kick people with teacup dogs out of my dog park. I don't care if I'm being mean, or being a bully. I am NOT taking the risk that one of my dogs kills another because people with teacup breeds think their dog is "tough". Guess what? No amount of toughness from a 9lb dog is going to save it if my 125 lb dog tries to go after it. My dogs aren't even dog aggressive, and I won't take the risk. If Atlas even steps on a 9lb dog, he will hurt it.

I really hate the whole "small dog people have every right to be there" statement, sometimes. By this logic, whenever someone with a small dog arrives at the dog park, I should have to leave just because my dogs are large and have a chance of hurting the small dog. This isn't fair to big dog people at all, and generally, larger dogs need WAY more exercise than a teacup Yorkie, for instance.

What is boils down to is that *everyone* needs to be smart about the dog park. If you have a small dog, you go to the dog park and see a large group of big dogs running around and playing rough - don't take your dog in and just assume everything will be ok. If you have a large dog who may target a smaller dog or has a high prey drive, don't go to a dog park where small dogs are allowed.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
BEWARE! PICTURES OF VICIOUS HUSKIES WITH UNTRAINABLE PREY DRIVES BRUTALLY SLAUGHTERING ANIMALS!!

In short, prey drive is not a excuse.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts