Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My wife bought our husky who is 11 years old a pigs ear at the store the other day. While I told her I don't think it's a good idea because our husky likes to swallow things whole.

Well, she gave it to her and not even 3 minutes later after running all happy in the back yard to go eat it, she came back in. I went outside and sure enough, no where to be found.

The night and for the last 5 days now she has been doing a gag/cough sound and then attempting to throw up but only white foam is coming out.

I called our vet and told her what I believe to be what causing this (the large pigs ear chunks) and they seemed to agree that this is what is causing it.

Has anyone else had this experience with pigs ears and dogs who like to swallow things whole?

At first it was when she put her head down or up - it would cause her to vomit, like when she jumped up and down from the couch/bed. That seems to have gone away and now it seems to be mostly at night. 95% of the time, nothing comes up.

She is still 100% husky. She is happy, playing, running around like a 2 year old puppy and barks, plays with our kids.

Other than this - no other signs. Still drinks/eats. Solid poop..

Any insight anyone might have on this? I almost want to take her in, but at the same time I don't want to pay $200 for a x-ray for the vet to tell me what I already know..
But at the same time, I want to do what is BEST for the dog..

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
213 Posts
Given her history, I am very concerned about what you are describing. (The really disturbing part of your history is the positional nature of the symptoms when she drops her head). Assuming that the pig's ear had reached the stomach, there is a high probability that it would have been digested and it would be unlikely to produce an obstruction at the level of the stomach/small intestine (although this is still possible). A more likely scenario is that it is stuck in the esophagus (prior to the stomach) and is producing a partial obstruction/partial choke situation. We see a few of these cases each year, most of which I diagnose with an endoscope rather than with X-rays. The BIG problem with this scenario is that after a few hours the object begins to produce significant damage to the wall of the esophagus, which can quickly become a life-threatening problem. Many of these cases are fairly stable, and so owners will sit on them for days before bringing the dog it. Often by that time severe esophageal damage will have occurred.
Given her history and the possibility for such a serious problem, I strongly recommend that you have her evaluated right away, and unless you can document the pig's ear in the stomach, consider having the esophagus examined with a scope. Even if the pig's ear has now passed beyond the esophagus, it may have left residual damage. The difference between treating these cases early and aggressively is often the difference between having a normal dog and one with permanent esophagus damage.
Better safe than sorry with this sort of case.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
if you want to do what's best for your dog go and get the X-Ray.

Hello everyone,

My wife bought our husky who is 11 years old a pigs ear at the store the other day. While I told her I don't think it's a good idea because our husky likes to swallow things whole.

Well, she gave it to her and not even 3 minutes later after running all happy in the back yard to go eat it, she came back in. I went outside and sure enough, no where to be found.

The night and for the last 5 days now she has been doing a gag/cough sound and then attempting to throw up but only white foam is coming out.

I called our vet and told her what I believe to be what causing this (the large pigs ear chunks) and they seemed to agree that this is what is causing it.

Has anyone else had this experience with pigs ears and dogs who like to swallow things whole?

At first it was when she put her head down or up - it would cause her to vomit, like when she jumped up and down from the couch/bed. That seems to have gone away and now it seems to be mostly at night. 95% of the time, nothing comes up.

She is still 100% husky. She is happy, playing, running around like a 2 year old puppy and barks, plays with our kids.

Other than this - no other signs. Still drinks/eats. Solid poop..

Any insight anyone might have on this?

>>>>> I almost want to take her in, but at the same time I don't want to pay $200 for a x-ray
for the vet to tell me what I already know.. But at the same time, I want to do what is BEST for
the dog.. <<<<<

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
146 Posts
This sounds like an obstruction in her esophagus. Obviously, the dog isn't getting any better regardless of how happy and playfull she acts. Take her to the vet. Even if you know that there is an obstruction and it's due to the ear there isn't anything you alone can do about it. However, the vet may be able to. Get her in an taken care of so things don't get worse or cause any lasting damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts