Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Know that some of you may have read my frantic earlier post about moving to Nevada.... If you have not, My husband and I are being relocated from Chicago to Henderson NV. I have a Husky and a Lab mix..... I have a few Questions. for those who live in warm dry climates... Does any one live in Nevada? Should I be doing anything special to protect their paws from the hot concrete? Any thoughts on special care, other then keepiing them in during the hottest part of the day and watching for dehydration???

Also, anyone know of a good trainer near Henderson?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm not in desert, but So FL gets pretty hot. I would try walking him in the shade, and while this seems common sense, I seem to forget every time I go outside barefoot, new shade isn't any cooler, so be careful of car shade. Try walking early morning and late afternoon, and any long walks later in the evening when it's coolest. I don't know about water restrictions there, but I have heard they are careful, and there's not much grass. Maybe booties would help?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for the adice! I like the booties, I was thinking about getting them for both dogs. I am just wondering how others handle the heat. This is a big change from the midwest and i want to make my pups as comfortable as possible! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use booties when we're walking and it's not shady (such as dog fundraiser walks or other events) and it works well. This summers been brutal in South Fl and temps are right around 95 daily. *dies*

We take them to the park after 5pm and try not to keep them out too long during the day. When they are out during the day I continually wet them around their necks and under their bellies. I also bring ice in coolers to the dog park where I then mix in the water they have available.

All in all, know your dogs. Looks for signs of heat exaustion and keep an eye on their pads for splits. The first summer will be the hardest for them. My Sibes had a rough time the first summer, but after that could handle it easier and easier. Their coats also never grew in as thick as they were originally.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
My aunt had a husky in Florida and a shaded covered porch area was a great benefit. An awning or a shade canopy would work too for the daytime potty breaks.

Getting up earlier is usually cooler than walking later in the evening. At 6 am or so, the ground and the air has had the whole night to cool off whereas at 8 pm, the sun isn't even fully down yet and even the shaded areas are often still hot to the touch. Like today, it was 70 degrees at 7 am and will be about 90 degrees at 8 pm.

Always touch your hand to the ground before walking to see how hot it is and like mentioned above, shade doesn't always mean cooler pavement.

Consider an indoor (air conditioned) doggie daycare for a playgroup or half-day/full-day daycare for exercise. Even a half day once a week adds a lot to his schedule without the risk of overheating.

Ice cubes! If he is panting heavily and is overheating after a walk, feed him ice cubes one by one.

Condition him slowly, moderate walking speed walks even in warm (not sweltering) temps should be fine for any dog but you need to ease him into it. If he is not used to it, make all your walks in the dark basically (before 8 am and after 9 pm more or less) and start with 10 minutes if its over about 85 degrees. Better to take a 10 minute walk, return home for an ice cube or two, and then another 10 minute walk than to try to push him to 20 minutes in the heat and have him overheat.

Kiddie pool in the yard if the dog likes water, put up a shade umbrella etc over it if possible.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I haven't tried using booties on Ilya yet. He doesn't seem to complain about Texas heat though, he doesn't really want to go outside very much. Ilya will try to find the coolest spot in the room, right where the AC pours out or he will try to be directly infront of a table fan....to the point no one else will get any air. LOL. He loves the tile floor.

I'll notice Ilya overheats by watching how he pants. Fast hard panting means he's way too hot. A good way to cool him down is to get a water hose and get his chest wet.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In the summer I take mine on his longest walk of the day in the early morning before the sun comes up, it's generally the coolest part of the day since it's had all night to cool off. I also walk my dogs in the evening but it is a shorter walk and we go walking at least an hour or more after the sun has set. Midday and late afternoon potty breaks during the summer are limited to walking around on the grass in the shade, I try to avoid concrete during the day in the summer months because of the heat. However grass doesn't absorb heat like concrete does, so I stick to grassy, shady areas for those times and try to keep the time spent outside short.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I agree with a lot of the posters above...

I'm in TX and I have a northern breed dog, too (Finnish Spitz). I walk her in the morning (like 8am-ish), and take her to the dog park sometimes right after that. There are kiddie pools at the park so if she gets hot, she goes right in. She spends quite a lot of time in the water, hahaha. Also, after play/training outside in our yard at home, she gets ice cubes, and the kiddie pool is always filled in case she needs it.

I usually don't take her for another walk until it gets dark out. We can usually get a good half hour/forty minutes in then, as she doesn't tire as quickly. Also avoid the concrete if you have to walk them during the day, and bring water with you (once Kimma is older, I will probably buy her a backpack to carry her own water, LOL) and take frequent breaks.

The idea of a doggy daycare is also awesome (Shell mentioned it). I work at a place that does it, so Kimma gets to go when I have work. It's amazing because the dogs can get some energy out while being on a soft surface (astroturf on top of pea gravel at my place), and having the chance to go in pools and sprinklers or just sit in front of the huge fan. And when they're done, they go back inside to the A/C to nap. :)

Best of luck with the move!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When we moved from WI to central TX my dogs adapted pretty good-like everyone else said-walk early morning, or late night-since my husband has PT in the morning, we walk them at night because at Fort Hood-there is no such thing as shade!! We also have a kiddy pool in the back, and I put up a screen tent for some shade-because again-there is no trees here. I have buckets of water for them in the back yard, front yard, and in the house. I do let them run around outside during the day-but it's only for maybe 10 minutes and it's back inside. I have a fan that sits on the floor for them-and they hog it all up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in the desert of southern california my husky didn't like being in the house for more than about 5 minutes at a time during the summer until he was 13 then he loved being in the house during the summer he had a kiddie pool under the patio and had shade trees we would walk early in the morning

1 - 11 of 11 Posts