Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on another thread about how she has been having trouble peeing during the day. Well today she didn't pee during the day but he took her outside, she peed, then turned around and came back inside and peed on the floor.
We take her out every hour or so, she barks for us to let her out, and we let her out. We play with her, she has toys.
I just went to put my daughter to bed and my husband was in the living room. He said that the dog got up on the couch and peed on it. This was an hour after she was let out for about the third time this evening. She completely soaked it.
It doesn't help that when we got the dog they promised she was house trained. She has also sneaked into other rooms to pee, she peed on the living room rug while we were two feet away outside watching her through a french door. We had offered to let her out and she wouldn't go.
She is seven months old and has crate phobia. We have her gated in the kitchen during the day.
I don't want to give up on this dog but I don't know what to do!
I suggested she might have a UTI but he said it looked like she did it on purpose because she squatted down.
Do dogs squat down when they have a UTI or does it just come out?
We did have deworm her last week, so I don't know if the wormer gave her a UTI?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!I love this dog.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Take the poor dog to a vet and get her checked for a UTI/bladder stones.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Might pay to get some blood work done too, to check her kidney function. You don't want a dog to end up with renal failure. Is she drinking more water then usual? Sorry haven't read the other thread so I don't know whole story.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Personally, I'd just get rid of the husband. He can take care of himself without me; my pets can't. :p

However, in less drastic steps, I agree with taking the dog to the vet and having a urine checked.

ETA: Just looked at your other post -- you have a 7 m/o rescue puppy who you've had for a month and is on home #4. Re-housebreaking might be in order if you haven't been doing it already... after you've ruled out medical issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your responses! I calmed him down. He's kind of OCD about things like that.
He has never had a UTI or had a pet with one so he didn't know that you feel like you have got it all out and then there's more or that she can't help it. I told him when she jumped it probably triggered bladder and she just went, so we kept her off the furniture last night and this morning.

We have an appointment with the vet today. I gave her a little apple cider vinegar in her water yesterday to help with the symptoms. She had a little and looked at me like "are you kidding?"
I just hope that's all it is!

I told hubby he needs to apologize to the dog. :becky:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personally, I'd just get rid of the husband. He can take care of himself without me; my pets can't. :p

However, in less drastic steps, I agree with taking the dog to the vet and having a urine checked.

ETA: Just looked at your other post -- you have a 7 m/o rescue puppy who you've had for a month and is on home #4. Re-housebreaking might be in order if you haven't been doing it already... after you've ruled out medical issues.
Agree with everything! It also sounds like she has access to a lot of different areas. Containing her to smaller areas will help as well.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

Doesn't diabetes also cause a person to urinate alot, I also had a UTI one time & it's HORRIBLE you feel like you have to pee ALL of the time & most of thr time when you go to the bathroom you can't go!! Other times you can't STOP going & you can't tell when you have to go, it's horrible.

Also I agree wih the above post, I live my OH, but he knows fully well that the dogs & I are a package deal ;)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Doesn't diabetes also cause a person to urinate alot, I also had a UTI one time & it's HORRIBLE you feel like you have to pee ALL of the time & most of thr time when you go to the bathroom you can't go!! Other times you can't STOP going & you can't tell when you have to go, it's horrible.

Also I agree wih the above post, I live my OH, but he knows fully well that the dogs & I are a package deal ;)
This. If she does have a UTI, she feels like she has to pee constantly, so she might be squatting and trying to pee A LOT. If she doesn't have a UTI then I definitely agree with the poster who said it sounds like re-housebreaking is in order. If she's on her 4th home in 7 months the poor puppy has been through quite a lot and doesn't know up from down.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I agree, take your poor pup to the vet. It sounds like something could be wrong. Also, wash what your dog peed on. They can smell where they went and if the smell is still there, they'll continue to mark their territory. So wash everything after you come home from the vet. Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Yes she is now gated in the kitchen. She chipped a tooth trying to get out of her crate, then we found out from the rescue that they forgot to tell us previous family had her in there 9 hours a day and then 8 at night. Well of course. I've never been a fan of crating anyway. I know it works for some dogs but I just don't like the concept.

Yes she has been through a lot, I just want this to be a stable home for her, I know we can get through this adjustment and she's going to be great. She is so incredibly smart and sweet.

I wouldn't let him really get rid of her anyway but we would have had some major marriage problems if he really wanted to.

Vet is in half an hour, I'm just really sending positive vibes that it's just a UTI and not something more serious. Poor girl has had fleas, worms and now this in the last month!
I've been giving her Rescue Remedy and she does have a calming collar with pheremones too, so I am hoping that helps with her adjustment and getting over her past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He took her to the vet, vet said it sounded like UTI. It was fifty bucks to do urinalysis so we just got antibiotics and we'll see how she does in a few days.
Husband is back in doggy love and talking to her in a baby voice again. All is well....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Oh good! Sending good wishes for a complete recovery. You might want to buy a black light and check your floors for old urine, and clean with an enzyme cleaner to avoid attracting her back to an old pee spot.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Consider giving a tablespoon of plain yogurt a couple of times a day. The probiotics really help with UTI's. I suspected my dog had a UTI once. Took her to the vet, vet ran the tests and told me I was crazy. Symptoms totally disappeared after giving yogurt, though. Now if I suspect something, I just buy a cheap tub of yogurt and prevent the vet visit altogether.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cranberry is also helpful. That said, if symptoms don't improve you should have a urinalysis done. Sometimes there are issues like crystals that might require things other than antibiotics to remedy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone, she is back to her normal self! Well I don't really know what her normal self is since we've only had her for a month but I think this is it. The only accident she had was after she had been outside playing with the kids in the sprinkler and he dried her off with a thin towel and put it on the floor for her to lay on. She peed on it right in front of us.
We think her previous owners had her trained on puppy pads and the towel was right about the same size, so we think that was just a mistake.
She really is just such a wonderful addition to our family, I just wish it weren't so freaking hot out or I'd be taking her everywhere and doing everything!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm so pleased to hear this! My dog had at UTI with bladder crystals (extra ouchy!) when I adopted her and I also beat my head against the wall trying to housetrain her. I found that relieving her constant physical discomfort settled her personality and made her easier to work with and train. Be on the lookout for UTIs in the future. I thought we had Kenda's beat several times until we tracked down the bladder crystals. Since we treated THAT with a six-week course of antibiotics and prescription kibble she's been sound as the pound.

^ Uh, the pound of sterling, not the pound of dogs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts