Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a little bit of a situation, me and my husband have finally come to agreement that we should get a family pet. I love really big dogs (danes, bernards, mastiffs, fav is alaskan malamute) I also love some medium dogs (labs, goldens). He only likes really small dogs (dachshund, yorki, maltese). Also I like long haired dogs as well and have the time for grooming and walking and exercising big dogs. Any breeds I haven't thought of that would be a good compromise?? What would be a good mix possible? :wave:

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Go to the local pound. Look around. My mom has a full out mutt she is in between a small dog and a medium dogs height. She is FULL of hair too. She isn't from the pound but around here in my area there are a lot of "small" long haired dogs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Perhaps you guys can get two dogs at the same time? Or one big/small first, and then later the opposite? Perhaps focusing on what other characteristics and attributes you would like in the dog first and come up with a list of dogs varying is sizes. Save size for last and see if any of the breeds you choose most compliment to your lifestyle. Active? Short walks? Vocal? Low odor? Trainable? Independent? Good with kids? Wary? There are so many dog breeds and mixes, size can be the final deciding factor. Also, like momtolabs said, check out your local shelter or rescue as well, you'll be surprise who would steal your heart :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
RESCUE RESCUE RESCUE !! There are soooo many wonderful dogs of all types needing rescued . Look at petfinder.com to find dogs locally that need rescued.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
RESCUE RESCUE RESCUE !! There are soooo many wonderful dogs of all types needing rescued . Look at petfinder.com to find dogs locally that need rescued.
+2!!!

I have rescued 5 dogs in the last 10 years that would have otherwise lost their lives needlessly. There are many pups/dogs of all sizes available and just yearning for a good forever home and just someone to love them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I too love big dogs (danes,mastiffs,pits,rotties etc) and I actually did end up getting a Dane mix a couple of years back (he was a rescue).He was a wonderful wonderful dog (he died very young of corona virus - he was already sick when I brought him home) but I must admit that I did end up realising that big breed dogs (and this is just my opinion) are alot more work than the smaller breeds,which is why we didnt go for another big breed dog this time around.I still LOVE big dogs,but I have realised that we just arent suited for one another.Sometimes you can love a certain breed,but it doesnt fit wit your lifestyle..you know? :)

I have always had yorkshire terriers.I have owned 5 (including the two 15 week old pups I have now) and to me,they are just easier in every way,and although I´m biased,I happen to think they´re sooo beautiful.
They (yorkies) dont shed,they dont smell,they are super easy to groom and their size means you can take them almost anywhere yet they´re sill very sturdy little dogs,and if they´re potty-pad trained,you dont have to take them outside 50 times day to do their buisness either (which is a HUGE plus in the winter,when it rains and when they´re puppies who pee every 30 seconds lol).They´re great watch dogs,super affectionate and fun,wonderful with people etc etc.I could go on for days :p.I also LOVE the Biewer yorkies,but they´re alot more expensive and quite rare here.

The yorkie fits with me because we love to take our dogs out with us when ever and where ever we can,and we couldent do that with Duke (my Dane mix) because he didnt fit in the car (we have 3 kids-it just wasnt possible),and because he wasnt welcome in so many places we went (that really upset us) :/ Our yorkies energy levels match ours..they´re energetic and playful,yet go right to bed or lay down to sleep when and if we do etc.
I think that you have to lay out all the pros and cons of each size/breed and then see what matches your lifestyle the best.Good luck!! :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
Why not compromise with a beagle? They're like a big dog wrapped up in a small to mediumish package. You can even stick a wig on it at Halloween so you'll have something with long hair to groom. :p Or you could just search for a beagle mixed with a long haired dog.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've had both and currently have the two yapper dogs in my signature.

Big dogs: Cons: higher monthly flea/heartworm/meds costs, higher feed bills, often times higher exercise needs (some are exceptions, of course), collars, crates, boarding costs are higher. Big dogs often have shorter life spans due to joint issues.

Pros: sturdier around children (we had a couple of different labs when our children were young), great hiking dogs, if you're the outdoor type.

Small dogs: Cons: sometimes yappy (but can be modified with training); many have high maintenance grooming needs (both of mine need clipping and regular brushing, which I've learned to do myself) which can be expensive (Poodle full groom averages $50 every 6 weeks - I like mine groomed more often than that), teeth usually need dentals done more frequently (same amount of teeth as a big dog in a much smaller mouth isn't good for teeth).

Pros: food, meds, collars, crates, boarding fees all cheaper for a small dog; dogs will fit almost anywhere; some apartments, condos, hotels won't take dogs over 20 pounds, tend to have longer life spans than a big dog, easier to cuddle with!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I love all dogs, but i don't think i will ever own a big big dog, i have abit of a back problem, but if i did i think it would be a Great Dane, i mostly like medium dogs, but i like some little ones too, i now people would say i would say this but why not a BC or something round that weight?, they come in different lenghts and my girl is rough coated but you can get long coated ones aswell, she only weighs 30lbs, well last time she was weighed she did, she is quite tiny for a BC, they can weigh upto about 25 kgs though, some over this, they come in different colours, my girl is tri, but you can get black and white, merle, lilac, blue and white, red, there are so many more!, and you would never get bored with a BC, but you would have to get up and walk this dog and work it's mind, they are not for everyone, nearly every BC will not sit on your sofa all day while you rest, so yeah you might be able to tell i love the breed.

Oh for a little breed how about a Pap?, i loved them before coming on here, but i now i want one sometime in my life, they are cute, funny little dogs.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Instead of basing your breed decision based on size - why not sit down and make a list of things that your family can offer a dog - how much exercise you actually are willing to give daily, how much training etc. How much money you're willing to spend a month on food, vet care (de-wormers and flea stuff)? How much money and time are you willing to dedicate to grooming? What kind of temperament are you looking for? Do you have kids or will you be having kids?

I second just going to a shelter or rescue and finding a dog that is a perfect match for you and your family.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Instead of basing your breed decision based on size - why not sit down and make a list of things that your family can offer a dog - how much exercise you actually are willing to give daily, how much training etc. How much money you're willing to spend a month on food, vet care (de-wormers and flea stuff)? How much money and time are you willing to dedicate to grooming? What kind of temperament are you looking for? Do you have kids or will you be having kids?

I second just going to a shelter or rescue and finding a dog that is a perfect match for you and your family.
Sounds like good advice to me. I think a medium-sized dog (maybe 30-60lbs) sounds like a good compromise. They are relatively portable at this size, but also sturdy enough for some rough play.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
In addition to what you can offer, a list of why your husband wants a small dog (not a specific breed, but a generic small dog) and why you want a generic large dog.... Post your lists for us, and we may find a compromise... Altho I like the idea of adopting a large dog and a small dog...

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
My advice would be to look beyond the size. I know it's an important consideration, but what kind of personality do you want? Energy level? Grooming needs? Training/learning style? What do you want to do with the dog? Those kinds of things can often help almost more than anything, and certainly make a bigger impact on how well the dog fits your life. Reading your lists - your husband's toy breeds do have similar personalities and energy levels. But the difference in the personality, energy level, etc. between a golden and a malamute or a lab and a mastiff is **ENORMOUS**.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Instead of picking a dog based on size or breed, it might be a good idea to head to an animal shelter and start looking at dogs that match your personality traits. Size and breed aren't really the best ways to determine a dog's personality. Energy level, whether the dog is dominant or submissive, and what the breed was originally bred for are better indicators of a dog's characteristics. For example, a small dog that was originally bred for hunting small game might be too much of a hyperactive power house for your husband, who seems to desire a more submissive type of dog. On the other hand, a laid-back Mastiff or Bulldog with lower energy needs might win over his heart instead. Your husband might fall in love with some of the bigger dogs, or you might have a heart for a smaller one, like a Boston Terrier or other dog that is small in size and big in spirit. In either case, I think personality wins over superficial traits by a long shot.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Are you getting a dog on top of the Alaskan/Dachshund?
Good question.

Why do you like malamutes the best? They are hard dogs to own: big, strong, harder to train and have very high exercise requirements. Like 2 hours of running per day. They also shed like crazy and are very vocal. Is all that really something you're prepared to handle?

I like big dogs, too. My last dog was 90 lbs. now I have a 45 lb dog, and it is so much easier. He's easier to handle, actually fits on my bed and couch, and it's so much cheaper! Plus, if you rent, big dogs are a big problem. I lived in 2 terrible apartments, one in a dangerous part of town, because nice apartments in nice parts of town don't rent to big dogs.

Really consider what you want in a dog. Size is only a tiny part of the puzzle.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you getting a dog on top of the Alaskan/Dachshund?
I am not for sure just yet, we don't know if these will be medium or a mix of small dogs and large or what they will turn out to be, but once its time to bring one home with us and we decide which of the puppies its going to be it could be a small medium or large. Just wanted some opinions on what people thought of other breeds that would good to compare to.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good question.

Why do you like malamutes the best? They are hard dogs to own: big, strong, harder to train and have very high exercise requirements. Like 2 hours of running per day. They also shed like crazy and are very vocal. Is all that really something you're prepared to handle?.
The Malamute is my fav because they have a wonderful spirit, I love to groom dogs, they are amazingly loyal. They are a family member not a pet. and they are beautiful from the day they are born to the day they die (granted they have to be kept up for the coat to always be that pretty) Yes they are big, they are hard to train, if you don't know what you are doing.....all dogs take time no matter the size or breed. I have lived in apartments and its always hard to have a big dog there but when you jog everyday having a companion that will protect you if need be (especially if its a place that you never know what could happen to you and you don't want a dog that looks like either a snack or could be kicked clean across a field).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Malamutes are very beautiful dogs,but they shed something awful.Seriously,they shed GARBAGE BAGS full of hair,twice a year..you could fill a pillow every few days.They also require tons of exersize.
When you´re about to get a dog,you have to take lots of things into consideration.Purchasing a Malamute because you would feel protected on your daily jog isnt a very good idea or a very good reason,there are 23 more hours in the day that you´re going to have to care for him/her and it´s those hours you really have to think about.How much will I spend on food? Do I have enough room in the house that my dog will live comfortably? Do I have the time to properly care for such a high maintinece dog? (grooming,exersize,training) etc etc etc.There are plenty of athletic dogs out there that will jog with you,protect you and they are way less complicated to own.

I have always had a love for big dogs..really big dogs! (Bullmastiff,Neapolitan Mastiff,Great dane etc) and although I could go out and buy myself one tommorow if I wanted to,it wouldent be fair on the dog because my house is small,I cant leave the house everytime it wants to pee (kids-you cant just up and go..it´s more complicated than that lol),I dont have the money to feed something that big,I wouldent be able to take it everywhere with me etc etc.
As much as I love certain breeds,I have found others that fit better for various reasons :) If you really think that a Malamute fits perfectly with you,then by all means get one,but there´s ALOT to think about ;)

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have owned a malamute, they are lots of work, they are my favorite dog but not what I a getting
Just my favorite dog. That's all I was saying. I had one who jogged with me before. She is gone now I wish I could get one and they will always be one of my fave!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts