Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was really worried about bloat, but it seems others were too; and never had a problem.
Don't get me wrong...I worry about bloat, but the fact is...it may happen, it may not. The only precautions I know of are to feed a good quality kibble (some kibble expands in the stomach...that's bad news for "bloat prone" dogs), to not allow fast eating, not allow "too much" water before and after meals, and not to allow excessive gulping of water at any time, feed 3 meals a day instead of 1, and definitely allow the 1hr rest period before and after meals. There's a procedure called "Gastropexy" that your vet can do (find a qualified vet of coarse), they tack the stomach to the muscle on the side of the ribs, and this prevents the "torsion" part of bloat from occuring (the twisting of the stomach causes "bloat" to quickly become lethal), but even with Gastropexy, bloat can still occur, it just gives you more time to get your dog to the vet...without this procedure the stomach can twist, giving your dog only minutes-hours to live :(. Also know the emergency procedure through your vet, where to bring your dog incase of bloat in the middle of the night kinda thing. Doing all this stuff, bloat can still happen, so do what you can and try to not worry, because you can make yourself sick worrying.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Both of our dogs will do the puke up bile thing too. Usually in the morning before they get their breakfast. They will just bolt up and out of the bed and puke (of course it is always on the carpet - never on the vinyl floor which is just a few inches away!)

I asked the vet about it and he said it is because they are hungry and the smell of food can trigger it. He said even the smell from the garbage can could trigger it - because there is discarded food in it. so, I try to keep the garbage can as empty as I can and I also keep them on a pretty tight schedual for feeding too.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Don't they also make a special bowl with raised "spikes" they the dog has to eat around? I don't know of this helps but I have heard that moistening food also helps with expansion in the stomach.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't they also make a special bowl with raised "spikes" they the dog has to eat around? I don't know of this helps but I have heard that moistening food also helps with expansion in the stomach.
They do make bowls like that with raised "spikes"...those work well too from what I've heard :)

But bloat can happen to any breed, can it not? I know some breeds are more prone then others, but all dogs can get it, right?
Bloat can happen to any breed, it's quite rare with small breeds, and very common in deep chested breeds.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts