Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog and I like to go out in the woods on the farm. The hunters are supposed to ask before going up into the woods, but they don't always (they assume that if they're not near the cow fields, it's fine). And we have a lot of problems with illegal hunters, as well- the property is very large. Additionally, sometimes they'll tell us where they're planning to be, but then end up somewhere else. On top of all that, you can never be too safe with hunters and dogs.
I wear an orange hat and an orange t-shirt. Currently, my dog just wears her baby pink coat, and I talk to her the whole time (to make sure the hunter hears thing like "good dog" or "here pup", so they know there's a brown animal running around that's not a deer) and keep her close. I'm trying to find her an orange vest, but can't find any that fit the criteria we are looking for.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good vest, or know where to get the pattern materials to make one? (for someone like me who can't sew well and doesn't have a machine) Am I being paranoid when I say I don't think just an orange harness is enough? I know many hunters only use a harness for visibility on their own dog, but they're actually looking for their dog, mine would be unexpected.

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
The more obnoxious neon colors I can get on my dogs during hunting season, the better, haha.

I've honestly mostly just use the really cheap cape-style ones that are a single layer of really lightweight fabric, usually with elastic or velcro across the chest and around the belly and some reflectors sewn on. Something like this one at Petco: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/youly-the-protector-dog-safety-vest. I like that I can easily fit a lightweight harness over them without it being bulky, uncomfortable, or impacting the safety aspect much, and that it's not going to make the dog overheated. I haven't felt the need for a fancier jacket so far, though I might if we wind up having a real rainy hunting season where we're in the woods a lot - Sam's rain jacket is definitely not obnoxious enough for safety in that case.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You might want to also consider belling him. Dog Bells

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more obnoxious neon colors I can get on my dogs during hunting season, the better, haha.

I've honestly mostly just use the really cheap cape-style ones that are a single layer of really lightweight fabric, usually with elastic or velcro across the chest and around the belly and some reflectors sewn on. Something like this one at Petco: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/youly-the-protector-dog-safety-vest. I like that I can easily fit a lightweight harness over them without it being bulky, uncomfortable, or impacting the safety aspect much, and that it's not going to make the dog overheated. I haven't felt the need for a fancier jacket so far, though I might if we wind up having a real rainy hunting season where we're in the woods a lot - Sam's rain jacket is definitely not obnoxious enough for safety in that case.
I actually tried that one on her- but the one with the correct girth doesn't go far enough down her sides, which was annoying...
You might want to also consider belling him. Dog Bells
Thank you! i hadn't thought of that before.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I bought a child sized hunting vest at WalMart and added a bit of elastic to the sides (but string ties would work too) and tied the "front" of the vest closed under the dog's belly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts