Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know if my dog is hungry or if she just wants more? She's almost 15 months and about 45 pounds; typically she gets two 45-60 minute walks plus 20-45 minutes of running / playing in the yard per day.

We had been feeding her about 2 cups of TOTW, but just yesterday fully switched her to about 1 3/4 cups of Earthborn. She gets treats (sometimes actual "treats" and sometime just a portion of her dinner) as well. After she eats, she licks her bowl (or food-dispensing toy), and then nudges the food storage container. Does that mean she's still hungry or does she just enjoy eating? She's a standard poodle, so not a breed generally known for having a voracious appetite.

The pictures are from March, but she hasn't really changed much.
gristmillmarch20.jpg
march-groom1.jpg
march-groom5.jpg

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I usually don't go by whether or not my dog is acting hungry or not. I go by their body condition. If she's a bit too thin, add a little more food. If she's starting to get a little tubby, scale it down slightly. Once you've found the right balance, I would not feed more just because she would enjoy eating more. A relative of mine free-feeds and his very very active Jack Russell is still overweight because the amount he chooses to eat on his own is too much. If you want to fill her stomach more, I would add water to her food. Otherwise, just go by her waistline. Btw, she looks to be a perfect weight in those images. :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don't want to feed her more just because she wants more, but I don't want her to be hungry either. Her groomer (who is also a poodle breeder) has never said anything about her weight and I suspect she would if something were amiss. The vets who did her pre-spay exam (two weeks after the pictures were taken) said her body condition was excellent. I'm a new "mom" so I tend to worry. Heck, I just worry, puppy or not ;)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
What Kafka said, judge by her body condition not her desire. Jubel would probably eat himself to death if I went by him acting hungry, he'll always eat more.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Most dog foods have a thing on the back saying how much to feed. This is generally a good place to start, and then you can adjust from as needed. She is very pretty too. When I was younger I always wanted a poodle like that. Never had the chance to get one though.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I usually don't go by whether or not my dog is acting hungry or not. I go by their body condition. If she's a bit too thin, add a little more food. If she's starting to get a little tubby, scale it down slightly. Once you've found the right balance, I would not feed more just because she would enjoy eating more. A relative of mine free-feeds and his very very active Jack Russell is still overweight because the amount he chooses to eat on his own is too much. If you want to fill her stomach more, I would add water to her food. Otherwise, just go by her waistline. Btw, she looks to be a perfect weight in those images. :)
This. She does look to be a perfect weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts