Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hamilton got neutered prior to 8 wks old (shelter pup). He's almost 7 months now. He isn't much of a humper... except when he is especially enamored with another dog. There is a doxie in his doxie meetup group that he just adored and would not stop humping her. I kept removing him, and apologizing to her owner, but he kept going back to her. Now there's a dog at the park he plays with that he loves, aaaaand he keeps trying to hump him :doh: The dog is significantly larger than him, and fortunately very friendly, and his owner is in love with Hammie... but Thursday night he would not stop trying to hump this poor dog. I kept pulling him off of the other dog, but he kept going back -- and then today my husband took him to the park, and his buddy was there, and once again, he kept wanting to hump him. Why does he hump his BFFs?? And how the heck do we get him to stop! It's kind of embarrassing :redface: and it's poor manners!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Unfortunately I have no advice, but this made me cackle.
I was reading a breeder's website last night (will not mention who) but they made it a point to GUARANTEE that neutering your male early in life WILL, absolutely WILL stop hiking, marking, humping and chasing bitches in heat. I LOL'd then had people argue with me that they were indeed right. Finefinefine way to land a pup in the pound by feeding people this and being confident it's true.

On another note, Troubles does this too. o_O He won't do it to every dog he meets, just the ones he likes.
I dunno how it works with dogs but I believe I'd be rather offended if one of my friends greeted me that way. >_>

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol! Does she also fuse their knees so they can't get into position? Eesh. MAYBE he humps less than he would if he wasn't neutered, but he most certainly does hump one of his beds, and his favorite dogs.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Some dogs just do it out of excitement. Almost every time the dogs see a squirrel or bunny, Pip will immediately try to hump one of my other dogs. I would do a "three strikes and you're out" kind of thing if he just won't calm out of it during a play meet-up.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Dogs will hump for sex, excitement, dominance, and play. Play humping can turn into sex humping.

I'm guessing he humps as an invitation to play....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Cheecho humps Bria when they are playing really hard core, but he always stops when I tell him to. I wouldn't be bothered to much by it, it's normal for dogs, a dog at the dog park was obsessed with humping Cheecho's face, and he just igored the pore little guy, and kept of sniffing the dirt.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I agree with two posters here, it sounds to me as if he's trying to dominate other dogs. Luke doesn't "hug" (I hate using the other word) any dog any more, but he used to. Some dogs try to do it with him and he gives them a fair warning as if to say, "Don't do it to me! Do it to another dog!" I've had some people here (in our complex, not here on the forums) say, "Aw, look they love each other." Maybe, but they're mostly trying to dominate. It's normal, your dog is fine.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The 'victim' will typically snark or worse, when they don't like it and have the confidence to say get off. The rule of thumb that I use - whether or not it's accurate - is that a dominance hump (as opposed to a juvenile, sex, or play hump) may include some growling or aggression when you try to remove them, or if they get snarked. In contrast, with the non-dominance types, the initiator may let you remove him with minimal resistance.

Another thing that I've noticed specifically with my dog - who is absolutely non-dominant in this case - is that he is very persistent ... Even when snarked, he'll keep coming back to initiate play. While, I believe that aggressive dogs will stop after after being snarked...

Your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've never heard of the play hump before... but that makes sense concerning Gunther's humping behavior. I always thought it meant he was trying to dominate, but he doesn't seem very dominant most of the time. He's always trying to play with dogs he meets and if the dog doesn't want to play with him and snaps or growls at him, he'll bow down and start licking the other dog's mouth (which I thought was a sign of submission, right?). If he meets a dog that wants to play with him and they start running around, he sometimes will try to hump the other dog. I'll pull him off if the other dog doesn't do anything about it first, but he'll just hop back on not long after. I don't get it. Dogs are weird haha.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I do recommend that you continue to pull him off, but be careful of the victim who may react at the change in behavior. I've had some scary run-ins.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hamilton doesn't mind being stopped, and the other dogs have never minded him, but then he only does it to dogs he's super friendly with. We haven't seen either dog he likes to hump lately, so it's been a non-issue, but I'll keep stopping him when he does it.

Kind of funny -- a week or two ago at the park one of the dogs we hang with was in hump mode and stood on top of Hamilton and humped him -- but Hammie is so low to the ground he just air humped and Ham was totally confused. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hamilton doesn't mind being stopped, and the other dogs have never minded him, but then he only does it to dogs he's super friendly with. We haven't seen either dog he likes to hump lately, so it's been a non-issue, but I'll keep stopping him when he does it.

Kind of funny -- a week or two ago at the park one of the dogs we hang with was in hump mode and stood on top of Hamilton and humped him -- but Hammie is so low to the ground he just air humped and Ham was totally confused. :D
yeah, sounds like hamilton is much like my boy. i do pull them off because i personally think it's rude, even if the other dog or other dog's owner doesn't mind (i've heard many "oh, it's okay"s). I just don't want Gun to do that, so I pull him off. No one cares one way or the other (probably why he tries it again after lol), but still... He only does it to dogs that like to play with him, never to dogs that like their space. And I still think dogs are weird for humping their buddies haha, but I try to keep an open mind haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts