Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new cocker/lab mix started to humb her blanket. My dad said that she did that this morning and she's been doing it again about a hour. She is Spayed. I don't understand why she is doing this. Would it be better to get her a pad for her crate instead of using a blanket that she can take out and hump. I have been using the "Leave it" command and she stops for a little bit and then will go back and do it again. Any thoughts on to why she is doing this would be hopeful.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
While it's natural (practicing the life skill of sex) it's also a sign of excess energy and can be habit forming. The Leave It command shouldn't be used here....she needs an alternate behavior...something that will burn off that energy....a walk, a game of fetch, go for a swim.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
something that will burn off that energy....a walk, a game of fetch, go for a swim.
I understand that these would be good ways for her to burn off the energy the only problem is that since she is a shelter dog she has developed a mild form of kennel cough so the vet said that she shouldn't do any strenuous exercise so I need to figure out what to do with her until the kennel cough is gone. Any more suggestions would help. Thanks

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I'd go for a leisurely walk as walks aren't strenuous.....no running or trotting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks. I think I'll wait a little bit longer to taken because here in Sacramento isn't almost 8:30pm and since over 100 degrees. I don't wait she to over heat or anything.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Wise decision....Heat can be hard on the respiratory system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took her to the vet for the kennel cough and the vet said that the humping was a dominance thing over the blanket, but she is now doing it to me and my dad. We tell her NO and Off and get her to do a more acceptable activity. Do you have any other suggestion or anything. I guess I want to know if the vet was right.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
So I took her to the vet for the kennel cough and the vet said that the humping was a dominance thing over the blanket, but she is now doing it to me and my dad. We tell her NO and Off and get her to do a more acceptable activity. Do you have any other suggestion or anything. I guess I want to know if the vet was right.
I totally disagree that it's a dominance thing. Why would a dog want to dominate a blanket? Does the blanket compete with the dog for any kind of resources? No. It makes no sense. Too many people watch too much Cesar Milan and start to think that everything is dominance when that's just not the case.

The dog is a cocker/lab mix, both of which can be fairly high energy dogs. The dog needs something to do with it's energy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I totally disagree that it's a dominance thing. Why would a dog want to dominate a blanket? Does the blanket compete with the dog for any kind of resources? No. It makes no sense. Too many people watch too much Cesar Milan and start to think that everything is dominance when that's just not the case.

The dog is a cocker/lab mix, both of which can be fairly high energy dogs. The dog needs something to do with it's energy.
See that's what I was thinking too. I completely agree with you. Too many people watch Cesar Milan and believe everything that he says. I've watched his show a few times and was not impressed. I know that she's will require alot of exercise which is fine but for now since she is getting over kennel cough I have to limit her exercise.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Take Tooney's advice take her out for a walk for 30-45 minutes a day. A nice leisurely pace. No running, no jogging, etc.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts