Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Orijen isn't the best for every one, either. Certainly didn't do Smalls and Jonas any good. We fed it for six months and they never adjusted. They consistently had loose poop, if not diarrhea. Works for me as I was paying 70 some dollars a bag for it. There is no one size fits all dog food.

We feed TOTW. EVERY one does well on it here. Does that make it the best food EVAR? Not for every one. Mine just do well on it and so we're sticking with it.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
People say the same about people - and they are wrong. Vegan diets are perfectly healthy for people. I can't speak for animals, and I wasn't speaking to that. I commend the Humane Society for attempting to address a major issue in the pet food market - that virtual all food options (even 'holistic' brands) are made with factory farmed meat.
this is not totally true. A vegan diet for humans is GARBAGE without a whole lot of specialized(read: expensive and typically unnatural) foods.

and as for pets. Dogs are carnivores and cats are obligate carnivores.

You will kill a cat if you deny it meat based proteins. You will have a weak dog prone to issues if you deny it meat based proteins(there are rare exceptions to this and those rare exceptions have to do with fairly upsetting disorders.)

that's all i got to say. feeding carnivorous pets a vegan diet constitutes animal abuse in my mind and it makes me sick to my stomach that something called a HUMANE society would ENCOURAGE people to do such a screwed up thing.

Im done.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Orijen isn't the best for every one, either. Certainly didn't do Smalls and Jonas any good. We fed it for six months and they never adjusted. They consistently had loose poop, if not diarrhea. Works for me as I was paying 70 some dollars a bag for it. There is no one size fits all dog food.

We feed TOTW. EVERY one does well on it here. Does that make it the best food EVAR? Not for every one. Mine just do well on it and so we're sticking with it.
I tried TOTW on my guys. It's more expensive than the stuff I normally feed too and had no effect on my guys. Fed it for a couple of months. No change in energy level, coat, etc..... I just got more expensive poop. My guys may just be immune to premium foods. Dunno.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Just because the difference isn't obvious doesn't mean it isn't better for your dogs. I switched from science diet to Orijen and didn't see a remarkable difference. Science Diet might be crap ingredient wise but it does do what it says it will. Hallie lost weight and gained muscle on Science diet. She had firm stool and a shiny coat. I hated the ingredients so much I switched back to grain free, but needless to say Hallie did fantastic on Science Diet. Depends on the dog what the 'best' food is. Fortunately Hallie can handle any food.

·
Registered
671 Posts
this is not totally true. A vegan diet for humans is GARBAGE without a whole lot of specialized(read: expensive and typically unnatural) foods.

and as for pets. Dogs are carnivores and cats are obligate carnivores.

You will kill a cat if you deny it meat based proteins. You will have a weak dog prone to issues if you deny it meat based proteins(there are rare exceptions to this and those rare exceptions have to do with fairly upsetting disorders.)

that's all i got to say. feeding carnivorous pets a vegan diet constitutes animal abuse in my mind and it makes me sick to my stomach that something called a HUMANE society would ENCOURAGE people to do such a screwed up thing.

Im done.
This times about 4 trilion.... very well said Zim :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I tried TOTW on my guys. It's more expensive than the stuff I normally feed too and had no effect on my guys. Fed it for a couple of months. No change in energy level, coat, etc..... I just got more expensive poop. My guys may just be immune to premium foods. Dunno.
I've found in my extensive food sampling (Smalls has intestinal issues and it provides for a difficult time finding food) that it really is a crap shoot. I absolutely love Orijen and think it's a great food- we just can't feed it. I also love TOTW and thankfully it works. When we got each of the dogs they were being fed various diets I would find crappy (Jack and Jonas were eating Science Diet, and Magpie was eating some grocery store brand I had never heard of) and they seemed a-OK. My parents dog ate Ol' Roy his entire life and lived to be 20. When Smalls was eating Pedigree years ago she basically only had runny poop and was in and out of the vet. Now she's been eating TOTW for a hot minute and she nas not been to the e-vet in over two years.

The difference may lie in what we don't always see. Kind of like me eating garbage food or eating good food- I can't see a difference but I can't imagine the havoc the crap I'm eating is doing to me. I'd rather error on the side of good food with the dogs, but not every one can afford it and pick the best they can.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Orijen would, without question, make Strauss and Mirada very very ill. They just can't handle foods so high in protein (the 30% protein in TOTW High Prairie is too much for them). I'm not going to spend almost $70 (nor can I afford to) on such food. We'd be spending $140/month on dog food alone! We currently spend $110/month on dog AND cat food.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Orijen seems to work very well for Casper (he has a lovely shiny coat and small, firm, non-smelly poop), but I think the protein level would be too high for Crystal -- her stomach gets upset if she eats rich meats. I feed her Taste of the Wild and she does great on that. I definitely noticed a difference after switching her from Royal Canin (which I thought was good before I started learning about dog nutrition). She needs to eat much less of the TotW and she has smaller, firmer poop as well. It doesn't cost as much as Orijen, either. It wouldn't suit the OP, but it's a great food overall.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I feed Earthborn Holistic (the primitive natural to be specific) and am very happy with it and their general commitment to the environment. I do not know if their meats are free-range but their customer service is pretty responsive and will likely answer that question for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dogs aren't supposed to be vegan are my thoughts on it. I just dont understand why some vegetarians and vegans (not all obviously) try to impose their nutritional beliefs on animals that NATURALLY eat meat. If they are concerned with the way the animals are treated before slaughter, that is fine, but let your (general you) meat eating critter eat meat....
Your thoughts are uninformed. Please do some research on this, as I believe you are wrong. In fact I know you are.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Your thoughts are uninformed. Please do some research on this, as I believe you are wrong. In fact I know you are.
Yeah, seems like you've done research which has led you to this conclusion, so please site your sources.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i am also a school teacher, and i agree that students learn best by finding things out on their own (to a certain extent) BUT you are using that as a total cop out. show us your proof. i am sure we could give you 100's of sites that will prove that dogs are carnivores.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.