Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to administer human glucosamine to my St. Bernard. I am stunned at the price difference between human and dog "varieties."

I have read about a lot of different forms. What human forms/brands have you all seen results with? I'd like to keep the tablets simple, and just administer glucoasime only, but if there is another mineral that woudl be helpful I suppose I could use a tablet that had both....

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
It's more confusing than helpful, b/c the research is not conclusive. But Glucosamine may be combined with chondroitin, SAM-e, MSM, hyaluronic acid, cetyl myristoleate (myristin). Each potentially provides a different benefit, and may provide no benefit.

In any case, if you use Glucosamine, you may need to give it to your dog for at least 30 days before you see results, plus I think it is better to give a little more than not enough.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
My vet suggests, and my own research agrees, that the glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM combos seem to have the best effect.

I tried the human glucosamine tablets before and while they were cheaper, they were a pain in the butt to give. Human brands tend to be either a flavored liquid which isn't suitable for dogs or a tablet meant to be swallowed and large tablets to boot. Since they are meant to be swallow whole, they taste disgusting if bitten into. So even my chow hound quickly learned to refuse the tablets and they were not easy to hide in some peanut butter or cheese either because once he bite into it, he would spit it out immediately.

So i have gone with the dog kind. One option is using a powdered supplement like The Missing Link which you spinkle on the dog's food and it seems to be very yummy to most dogs. Then there are treat like chews but few of them have any real amount of glucosamine etc in them. So its dog brand tablets mainly. These are pill like but meant to be chomped down on and are flavored. I have used the Nutri-Vet ones for a couple months and Chester eats them fine just dropped on his dry food in the morning. He's actually gotten so in the habit that he will stand by his bowl of food until I drop the pills onto it and then he eats. I just bought the NaturVet soft chews since that is what the store I was in carried and while I haven't yet tried them, they smell meaty and "yummy" so i think they will be very easy to give.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair enough. I'll look for a glucosamoine/Chondroitin/MSM combo if I can find it.

I will look for a small bottle of human glucosamine. The price differential is too great to pass up. I'll try mixing it with some wet dog food and see if that won't work, if I have to. Even canned food (as an appetizer) would be cheaper than dog glucosamine.

If he just won't eat any kind of human glucosamine, I suppose I can start another thread here. :(

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I used NatureMade TripleFlex. For a while the dogs ate it like a treat, later with difficulty I crushed it in a mortar and pestle and mixed with their wet food. I tried a cheaper Costco variety without MSM and it was useless, quite surprised that MSM made such a difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used NatureMade TripleFlex. For a while the dogs ate it like a treat, later with difficulty I crushed it in a mortar and pestle and mixed with their wet food. I tried a cheaper Costco variety without MSM and it was useless, quite surprised that MSM made such a difference.
Kathyy, when you say "useless," do you mean that the glucosamine was having no observable effect on the dog without the MSM? Or that the dogs wouldn't eat it, w/o the MSM?

BTW--what does MSM stand for?

The price on amazon sure is right for that.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
MSM is a sulfur compound, methylsulfonylmethane, and there ought to be plenty of that in any diet but it sure made a difference.

The MSMless stuff didn't work. This was when Sassy was getting pretty feeble. After a week of it she was really dragging. Back on the TripleFlex and she did much better. At that time I was grinding and mixing the powder with food.

This stuff is pretty tasty, made of stuff from cartilage and sea creatures after all. The pills are very hard, perhaps dogs wouldn't like trying to break them before swallowing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MSM is a sulfur compound, methylsulfonylmethane, and there ought to be plenty of that in any diet but it sure made a difference.

The MSMless stuff didn't work. This was when Sassy was getting pretty feeble. After a week of it she was really dragging. Back on the TripleFlex and she did much better. At that time I was grinding and mixing the powder with food.

This stuff is pretty tasty, made of stuff from cartilage and sea creatures after all. The pills are very hard, perhaps dogs wouldn't like trying to break them before swallowing.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll look for some at the local big box store. I'm ok with the idea of grinding them into powder. It would be easy to mix that up with a spoonful or two of wet dog food.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK just picked up some Nature Made Triple Flex. I couldn't believe it, but after grinding it up and sprinkling it into his dry Pro Plan, Buddy (my Saint) ate it up.

I'm hoping he will continue not to notice (perhaps he was just being polite, but will start objecting when he sees this is an everyday event).

I do have one more question: what happens to the glucosamine/MSM if I grind the entire bottle up at once? I think it would be much quicker for me to take care of it all in one fell swoop. But would that let the minerals dissipate before I actually put them into the dog food?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have no idea what would happen if you ground it up. I had to do it in a mortar and pestle so the thought never came into my mind! There are plenty of powder joint supplements around and if you kept it tightly covered in a cool place I am sure it is fine.

Dogs are weird. Mine crunch up fish oil and vitamin E capsules like they are candy. Yuck. I have had dogs scuffle when chasing down a dropped joint supplement, I think they taste okay to the dogs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll call them and ask what would happen if I ground up a lot at one time (I won't tell them it is for my dog, as I'm sure they wouldn't tell me anything from that point onward).

As it is, even though my dog is showing no aversion to it, I still think I'll end up getting some wet food, as bits of it seem to end up in the bottom of the food bowl with a few random kibbles, and I'm fairly sure it if were attached to wet food, he would be sure to scarf that all down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found the perfect way to get my Saint to eat it. I heated up half a cup of water in the microwave, then poured it over the food and the ground up glucosamine. Buddy licked up every last single drop of liquid and food in his bowl. I guess it turned into a bit of gravy. Before this, he was leaving large bits of the glucosamine pills that hadn't been ground up, and also, there were still large deposits of the powder at the bottom of the bowl. But my new gravy mix changes everything. :)

Looks like I don't have to worry about bringing canned food into the mix. That is nice--saves me the hassle and money.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Webber makes Glucosamine/MSM/chondroitan in Capsule form so you can just open the capsule and empty the powder onto the dogs food.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts