Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many people who feed their dogs human food, cheese burgers , pasta, ect. But I don't. I strictly keep Stella on dog food. Mainly because I don't want her to beg people when they come over (we often have guests). What do you feed your dog(s), and why?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Messed up excuse..

Train her its not.okay unless u say okay..
My boys now it hits the flow u wait till somome says okay then u can check it out..

He's on raw tho.. table scrapes are his treats lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Messed up excuse..

Train her its not.okay unless u say okay..
My boys now it hits the flow u wait till somome says okay then u can check it out..

He's on raw tho.. table scrapes are his treats lol.
Oh lol. I just don't want her begging people, and I dont think its healthy, especially for my pup to be eating everything a human eats...not like raw but lets say a big Mac from McDonalds. I have a friend who will order one for herself and one for her pup, to me thats just unhealthy for the dog.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My dogs eat tons of human foods, chips, burgers, hot dogs, pasta, pizza, you name it. Offcourse only a few bites, never a full meal. They also eat dog food. Both are in optimal shape, get plenty of exercise ect. They dont beg, and know to go to their beds and wait. They will watch us. But they are not all over us.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I know many people who feed their dogs human food, cheese burgers , pasta, ect. But I don't. I strictly keep Stella on dog food. Mainly because I don't want her to beg people when they come over (we often have guests). What do you feed your dog(s), and why?
What makes you think she knows the difference between human food and dog food? If you don't want her to beg, teach her to go to her bed (where good things fall out of the sky) or teach her "leave it"

·
Registered
40 Posts
No I see what ur saying lol that's funny haha yea def don't do that.. small peice goes a long way let them smell it before giving them a smal treat its like there getting more of it if that makes sence

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dogs eat tons of human foods, chips, burgers, hot dogs, pasta, pizza, you name it. Offcourse only a few bites, never a full meal. They also eat dog food. Both are in optimal shape, get plenty of exercise ect. They dont beg, and know to go to their beds and wait. They will watch us. But they are not all over us.
Thats good! Like her dogs will literally whine and beg and drool right infront of you, and they won't get small bites like your dogs, they'll get the full meal, and they'll be expecting a full meal when they come home. No dog food whatsoever. So my pup, being my first, I didn't want her to be like that. But you seemed to have trained your dogs very well with that!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What makes you think she knows the difference between human food and dog food? If you don't want her to beg, teach her to go to her bed (where good things fall out of the sky) or teach her "leave it"
Just the fact that they smell completely different. And she knows her food is in her bowl in the kitchen. But I have taught her drop it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Just the fact that they smell completely different. And she knows her food is in her bowl in the kitchen. But I have taught her drop it.
Leave it is a bit different from "drop it" though they are somewhat related. Lots of stuff smells different from something else. I just don't believe dogs get the concept that there is "people food" and there is "dog food." And I don't believe giving them something we would categorize as "people food" is the cause of begging. The cause of begging is A) reinforcing it by giving them food when they beg and B) not teaching them a better alternate behavior.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leave it is a bit different from "drop it" though they are somewhat related. Lots of stuff smells different from something else. I just don't believe dogs get the concept that there is "people food" and there is "dog food." And I don't believe giving them something we would categorize as "people food" is the cause of begging. The cause of begging is A) reinforcing it by giving them food when they beg and B) not teaching them a better alternate behavior.[/Quote
Well my pup doesn't beg because she doesn't really care for it because she's never had it.. But I was just so used to my friends dogs begging, how did you train your dogs to not beg....her dogs about two will he ever stop?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well my pup doesn't beg because she doesn't really care for it because she's never had it.. But I was just so used to my friends dogs begging, how did you train your dogs to not beg....her dogs about two will he ever stop?
If she rewards begging, it won't stop. Even if she just occasionally gives in. It's her dog. Perhaps she doesn't mind it?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My dogs get a taste of pretty much anything I eat (aside from foods that are toxic to them). At first, I used to fear them getting fat and begging, but that hasn't been am issue for us. They know whrn I am going to share my food and when its mine. They eat dog food for their normal meals and I have never had an issue with them being picky either.

Actually, my feline veterinarian has encouraged me to feed my cats "people food" (with the exception on toxic things). I thought that was a little bizarre for her to say that, but it hasn't hurt them.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My dog only eats "human food." Well, with some hearts, livers and kidneys thrown in for good measure, LOL. I don't feed kibble. She fed according to the Prey Model Raw method.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I make most of my dog's food, and she gets snacks of "human food" like carrots, apples, blackberries and Goldfish crackers (a guilty pleasure!) and she doesn't beg at table. I don't think it matters what your dog eats (for this discussion - obviously nutrition is a different matter) but how she eats. Kenda eats at her mealtimes out of her bowl on the floor. Treats are administered as earned throughout the day but we NEVER EVER feed her from the table. She no more expects food from us while we're eating than she does while we're taking our showers.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I know many people who feed their dogs human food,..why?
Add me to your list .".Of people that you know that feed human food to dogs"
Why????
Its mainly because ..
Human Food tastes a lot better than dog food ..and also .. the misconception that ground up chicken heads and pig anus and horse testicles and corn are healthy for dogs to eat because.. they spray them with vitamins and all the nutritional goodness for a full and healthy life .

·
Registered
731 Posts
I dont feed them food that is unhealthy - dog food or "human food". The foods that are on the toxic list, very fatty, very processed or preserved human foods (I dont eat it either), crappy dog food or treats do not go in their mouth.

Technically all the food they get is human food since it's human grade prepared dog foods and their treats are fresh fruits, veggies or homemade cookies. I make them cookies that we share even! Right now all 3 of us are sharing a jar of cinnamon apple crisps and fruit and yogurt popsicles (freshly juiced, no added sugars) that I made. They get some table scraps when I'm in the kitchen and not when I'm eating. I do not eat crap - I eat "clean" so they are fine to share a bite of pan seared fish, roasted vegetables, etc. They always get slices of fresh fruit, carrots, and yogurt which I have for snacks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dog gets Blue Buffalo, minimal dog treats daily. Every few days one of her meals gets replace with raw meaty bones. Rarely, if she made something for us that is "healthy" and in my eyes "dog food" like, we will give her a few pieces. Never from the table and always after meals during clean up. She still tends to beg though, just looks at you throughout your meal. We've been working on this. Examples of "human food" we've given her- blueberries, cheese, a cornless cob, cooked chicken, bacon, and steak. I'd never give my dog a cheeseburger, pizza, popcorn, etc. It just doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My dog gets Blue Buffalo, minimal dog treats daily. Every few days one of her meals gets replace with raw meaty bones. Rarely, if she made something for us that is "healthy" and in my eyes "dog food" like, we will give her a few pieces. Never from the table and always after meals during clean up. She still tends to beg though, just looks at you throughout your meal. We've been working on this. Examples of "human food" we've given her- blueberries, cheese, a cornless cob, cooked chicken, bacon, and steak. I'd never give my dog a cheeseburger, pizza, popcorn, etc. It just doesn't seem right to me.
I'd be careful with the corn cobs. They're not easy to digest and they can cause blockages that require surgery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My dog usually gets a bit of whatever I'm eating, but I make him lay down until I'm done eating. Then he gets what's left. Except in the morning when I make breakfast. Then he usually gets a fried egg or a little oatmeal over his kibble for breakfast.

My great grandma fed her dogs only leftovers from the table (and would bring home "doggie bags" from restaurants when she went out). She never bought "dog food". I remember when I was little feeding Peanut all the food I didn't like from the table.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts