Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all, this is my first post !

I was trying to find a list/source, for Infections/Diseases which could be shared between Canine and Humans.

Like (for instance) if we were to have the Flu or other problem where it could be spread by contact or breathing "our" germs, can we infect/cause problems for our little Friends ?

I'm specially interested in those which may be more problematic for Puppies, since I just got a new one !! :D

I have Yorkies...
My older animal is Sneakers, a Male (almost 2 yo now) and his companion is...
A new puppy, Becca, Female (almost 10 weeks now) who's tail has not stopped wagging since she got here !

Would appreciate a Link or discussion on this issue(s).

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Try googling 'zoonotic diseases' and it should bring up a list of diseases that can be shared between humans and dogs/cats (and other animals).

And no, dogs can't get the flu from humans:)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
As far as I know intestinal parasites and rabies.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The ones that are most common are roundworms, tapeworms, and ringworm (which is not actually a worm, but a fungus). Possibly also giardia.
As long as you practice good hygiene, I see no reason to worry. Do you have young kids that will be around your dogs? Sometimes you have to be a little more careful there because kids stick everything in their mouths.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just an add-on to GottaLuvMutts: Giardia is DEFINITELY communicable between dogs and humans, and absolutely horrible stuff it is—it's a protozoan, rather than a bacteria or a worm, so it's brutally hard to kill with standard antibiotics or antiparasitics. It's miserable for the dog, as the primary symtom is diarrhea, and that's how humans contract it—by cleaning up the mess.

Also cross-communicable, according to some studies: Streptylococcus. In humans, it tends to show up in the throat, but in dogs, well, it's... somewhere else. But when your dog licks himself, and then licks your face, well, there you are...
- - - - - - - - -
Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts