Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why but I cruse craigslist sometimes. I have seen SO many ads for huskies. usually it is labs or hound mixes but this month(and last months) seem to be full of huskies. Most are younger too like 6 months-2 years old so I am guessing people can't handle there activity level.

here is one from today http://peoria.craigslist.org/pet/3248004159.html he is so cute.. I just want to hug him!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
People get them as puppies because they are so fluffy and cute without doing their research. Then their energy level spikes at around 6 months, they counter surf, dig tons of holes, destroy furniture and the walls of the house because they have no outlet for their energy, etc. It's awful :(

·
Banned
96 Posts
People should research the breed that the aquire. I know I could NEVER have enough energy or resources for a husky... I will never own one (I also don't particularly like them anyway)....
My grandmas neighbor at one time had 5 wolf husky hybrids (questionable but this is what they said :S) .. constantly tied up or stuck in the house. I always felt bad for them. Now they only have 2 left, the rest died.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup,I agree most don't research the breed. I went to a flea market last year and someone was selling 4 husky puppies and other breeds(you could clearly tell they were puppy mill dogs) and guess what, yup people bought them. Do you think they actually thought about it? Nope. A few months later I started seeing some ads for them and now seeing more. I wonder if those puppies where one of them.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm going to hate myself for saying this later on - but to be perfectly honest I'm the last person that should have a Siberian lol. Their energy level does not match my energy level - at all. They are a breed I love and want to have for the rest of my life - so I make it work. I'll be acquiring my second Siberian next fall when Bella is two and a half.

When given the proper outlet for their energy - and no, that does not mean the endless hours of exercise people make it out to be - they are no different than many other breeds. Bella gets trips to the park to run off leash, lots of fetch, lots of training sessions, treat balls and puzzles. She's not neurotic and is extremely relaxed now that she's passed her "omgimapuppyineedtobeoutrunningeveryhourofthedayomgomgomg" phase and would rather sleep at my father's feet for a few days and go play with other dogs at the park several times a week than go on walks for 4 hours a day (walks do NOTHING for her) - so I have to find other ways to engage her mind - many of which I can do within the house and she doesn't destroy anything. I also get her out on the bike to pull which is an amazing outlet for them - but with the summer having been as bad as it was...that didn't happen.

When you really understand your dog and you find what really gets them going - they can very well be incredibly biddable, lord knows they're too intelligent for their own good, independent really doesn't do them justice when describing them. They are a special breed that take a special kind of owner - they really aren't for everyone.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
A friend of mine told me this weekend he is thinking about getting a husky. He doesnt seem NEARLY active enough to handle one but he said his parents had one growing up so he should be at least familiar with their general character. Secretly I hope he opts for something else... or that I'm wrong about his activity level, who knows.

·
Registered
689 Posts
They're everywhere on Craigslist in my area too. The main reason is people don't do their research. Sibes are often bought on an "Oh I watched Snow Dogs and I want one!" or "They're so cute and they look like wolves!" whim with out the realization of how much work they are.
They're definitely not a breed for everyone!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If you really TRULY want something and you love it - you make it work. I love the breed and will dedicate the rest of my life to it. I am by no means an athletic person or even an extremely active person but I LOVE the Siberian Husky breed and I make the exercise requirements and the mental stimulation all work for my dog.

If you're a neat freak - absolutely do not get a husky. Fur..the fur is EVERYWHERE. Seriously - we eat fur. It's a condiment. You find it floating in your drinks, in your food, you get out of the shower your towel (and because you used the towel - no yourself) is covered with fur. If you take pride in your yard - probably not the best choice of breeds. Though you can in fact curb the digging.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Seriously - we eat fur. It's a condiment. You find it floating in your drinks, in your food, you get out of the shower your towel (and because you used the towel - no yourself) is covered with fur.
haha How true! I pretty much live inside a snow globe full of dog hair... -_-

·
Banned
96 Posts
If you really TRULY want something and you love it - you make it work. I love the breed and will dedicate the rest of my life to it. I am by no means an athletic person or even an extremely active person but I LOVE the Siberian Husky breed and I make the exercise requirements and the mental stimulation all work for my dog.

If you're a neat freak - absolutely do not get a husky. Fur..the fur is EVERYWHERE. Seriously - we eat fur. It's a condiment. You find it floating in your drinks, in your food, you get out of the shower your towel (and because you used the towel - no yourself) is covered with fur. If you take pride in your yard - probably not the best choice of breeds. Though you can in fact curb the digging.
All the reasons I wouldn't be able to have one :p and the blue eyes freak me out-- although I have seen a few brown eyed ones that were gorgeous!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Around here its ALWAYS huskies and/or GSD and border collies (or some combination of the 3). There are always TONS of young husky pups on Kijiji... and slightly older pups in the shelters and rescue groups. :( It makes me angry and I occasionally rant about it on Facebook. One of my friends has a husky/GSD cross who is an absolute nightmare - he's not yet a year and he does not get the stimulation that he needs...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
All the reasons I wouldn't be able to have one :p and the blue eyes freak me out-- although I have seen a few brown eyed ones that were gorgeous!
Many MANY Siberians are brown eyed (or other colors) because brown eyes are popular in the show ring (blue eyes make the eye appear too round). I will agree some blue-eyed dogs (not just Siberians) can be very scary looking. I have a blue eyed Siberian (obviously) - her eyes are incredibly light and would probably be one of the ones you thought were freaky :p

Around here its ALWAYS huskies and/or GSD and border collies (or some combination of the 3). There are always TONS of young husky pups on Kijiji... and slightly older pups in the shelters and rescue groups. :( It makes me angry and I occasionally rant about it on Facebook. One of my friends has a husky/GSD cross who is an absolute nightmare - he's not yet a year and he does not get the stimulation that he needs...
I actually spent several months skimming Craigslist in my area for Siberians - and only found two. They just aren't big here (or all of the ones that go up get taken in by our Siberian rescue). We don't even get many (any?) in the shelter.

You can REALLY wear out a siberian mentally and have a good nice relaxing day :p. I can get three days of rest out of Bella if she gets to do some miles on the bike, a trip to the park and some puzzle toys.

haha How true! I pretty much live inside a snow globe full of dog hair... -_-
Yeah..I'm not jealous of that..at all :p

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
hahaha!!!!!! That was amazing!

Dogs like this scare me more than anything but it's only when they're puppies:

This is one of my all time favorite pictures of my girl (reminded me of it when I watched the video):

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

If you're a neat freak - absolutely do not get a husky. Fur..the fur is EVERYWHERE. Seriously - we eat fur. It's a condiment. You find it floating in your drinks, in your food. . .
This is not a joke. This is 100% fact. It IS in your food. your best bet is to eat without looking and hope you don't feel it.
My mother is going nuts because she found her first husky hair in her food last night. I grabbed Aleu and ran. Thankfully I have a lock on my door. they are not for the house-proud. I have to vacuum at least 3 times a day to kinda sorta maybe a little bit get a handle on it.

I got Aleu from a BYB at a flea market when I was in middle school, without doing any research on the breed, because I'd seen Balto when I was little. She's 5 and still with me. I've put up with escapes, potential deaths of neighborhood cats, hyperactivity, the hair, the grooming, the weird food preferences. But, she's still with me. Because I adjusted for her. I learned as I went and I'll tell you, I don't know if I want another husky. Maybe someday, if I have the proper living arrangements, if I find the right breeder, if I'm in the right activity range. We'll see. But I made it work because I love my dog and wouldn't trade the world for her insane self. This is why ADs like these make me mad. If they cared about their dog, they'd adjust.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts