Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody again! I have been doing some research on the differance between 'bad' dog foods and 'good' foods. Eagle Pack (from what I have heard) is one of the top brands of dog food that is very healthy for dogs. Looking at the ingridient list, though, I see something that I don't understand- in the Original Adult Formula, ground yellow corn is the second ingredient. Isn't any type of corn supposed to be a cheap, unhealthy filler if it is used in dog food? Is Eagle Pack any good? AAAAAHHH!!!! Help! I'm confused!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I really thought that corn was bad for dogs, and when I saw it in the top 3 ingrediants in Eagle Pack, I was confused! I guess I will not take a chance with corn and stick to E.P.- Holistic!!! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure- I've heard its one of, or the top dog food sold. I am getting Maggie onto it, after learning that Purina brands weren't the best thing for dogs to be eating. I am looking forward to see the results of good food for once! :b

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had bought eagle brand for both my puppy and kittens after hearing it was the best but none of them will touch the stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My boy loved Eagle Pack Holistic, but unfortunately he doesn't have any teeth so it's too difficult for the old guy to eat. LOL :rolleyes:

I found this site that talks about what's in commercial dog food (I posted it in another thread here, hope no one minds me posting it a second time, I just thought it was a great site). http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

Personally, I'd avoid anything with corn in it...or if I had no choice, I'd at least avoid all food with corn in the top 3 ingredients. I won't risk my current and future dog's health on the possibility it won't cause an allergic reaction. But that's just me. ;)

Cass.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I believe it is the Eagle Pack "Holistic" line that most recommend. And IMO, corn is not as bad of an ingredient as some make it out to be.
I agree with opokki...corn may be an allergen for some dogs (one of many and not even in the top three), but unless your dog is allergic to it it's probably not that huge of a deal if it's included somewhere on the ingredient list. I avoid corn mostly b/c of the aflotoxin scare last year. Corn is easy to avoid, so we just do.

Find the food that gives your dog the best energy level/appearance and fits your budget.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Main thing with corn, just be sure its not being used as a main protien. Animal protien is much better for your dogs, a deficiency in it may lead to many health issues later on.
I Have a link somewhere, i'll try to dig it up... it talks about problems you may run into if your dog is not getting enough animal protien.
It also touches on carbs and some other stuff....
I havent fully read the whole thing yet myself, so Im not sure about credibility but so far so good IMO
Heres the link
http://www.volhard.com/holistic/artbywv.htm

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I feed Eagle Pack, specifically their Holistic Chicken Select formula.

Heard nothing but good things about it, and now I've experienced nothing but good things with my guys.

If you have any questions, CALL THEM!

I did when deciding whether to feed just dry, just wet or what. I called left a message and they called back, a nutritionist, five minutes later and spoke with me, gave me links to dog nutrionists websites etc.

Give them a call, but Eagle Pack is definitely one of the best brands out there.

·
Banned
960 Posts
The best eukanuba ... Eukanuba works for me ...
Eukanuba is not a good food to feed your dog. Really grain heavy....

Chicken, chicken by-product meal, corn meal, ground whole grain sorghum, ground whole grain barley, fish meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and citric acid), brewers rice, natural chicken flavor, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, sodium hexametaphosphate, calcium carbonate, flax meal, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, dl-methionine, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, zinc oxide, ascorbic acid, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, vitamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, rosemary extract, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), niacin, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), inositol, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin D3 supplement, potassium iodide, folic acid, cobalt carbonate

·
Registered
14 Posts
High quality dog foods usually advertise having no corn.This doesn't mean that corn should be avoided at all costs. It is found in many good brands of dog food including Eagle Pack, (not holistic variety) Corn gets a bad rap because some dogs may be allergic to it. If your dog isn't, corn will not hurt and is highly nutritious. This being said, it shouldn't be the main ingredient in a dog's food. The better foods are meat based with either meal or meat listed as the first ingredient. Also, most super premium foods have several protein sources and few grains, and many are grainless. These foods seem to be very popular now. I am currently rotating with Nature's Logic and Orijen two foods with high meat and protein levels. I feed canned and dry with great results.

·
Banned
960 Posts
High quality dog foods usually advertise having no corn.This doesn't mean that corn should be avoided at all costs. It is found in many good brands of dog food including Eagle Pack, (not holistic variety) Corn gets a bad rap because some dogs may be allergic to it. If your dog isn't, corn will not hurt and is highly nutritious. This being said, it shouldn't be the main ingredient in a dog's food. The better foods are meat based with either meal or meat listed as the first ingredient. Also, most super premium foods have several protein sources and few grains, and many are grainless. These foods seem to be very popular now. I am currently rotating with Nature's Logic and Orijen two foods with high meat and protein levels. I feed canned and dry with great results.
Most of the really good foods ( not supermarket foods) list that they do not have corn as an ingredient.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree that corn should not be the first ingredient in your pets food, it most definatley should be a meat protein. Dogs and cats are true carnivores, however dogs (wolves, coyotes, etc.) have learned to feed off fruits and plants as hunting and scavaging wasn't always an option, thus making them somewhat of an omnivore.

Because dogs have been over exposed to such ingredients like corn, wheat, rice, and soy they have become allergens. But these ingredients (carbs) are a good source of energy.

Fot the most part I agree that it would be nice not to have any of these ingredients in our pets food, however without them, cost of the pet foods do go up, because we would no longer have inexpensive carbs(energy) to fill our pets food. Not everyone can feed a bag of dog food that cost $70.

·
Banned
960 Posts
I agree that corn should not be the first ingredient in your pets food, it most definatley should be a meat protein. Dogs and cats are true carnivores, however dogs (wolves, coyotes, etc.) have learned to feed off fruits and plants as hunting and scavaging wasn't always an option, thus making them somewhat of an omnivore.

Because dogs have been over exposed to such ingredients like corn, wheat, rice, and soy they have become allergens. But these ingredients (carbs) are a good source of energy.

Fot the most part I agree that it would be nice not to have any of these ingredients in our pets food, however without them, cost of the pet foods do go up, because we would no longer have inexpensive carbs(energy) to fill our pets food. Not everyone can feed a bag of dog food that cost $70.
Too many carbs can cause weight problems and things like canine diabetes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Too many carbs can cause weight problems and things like canine diabetes.
To quote myself:

"For the most part I agree that it would be nice not to have any of these ingredients in our pets food, however without them, cost of the pet foods do go up, because we would no longer have inexpensive carbs(energy) to fill our pets food. Not everyone can feed a bag of dog food that cost $70."

·
Banned
960 Posts
To quote myself:

"For the most part I agree that it would be nice not to have any of these ingredients in our pets food, however without them, cost of the pet foods do go up, because we would no longer have inexpensive carbs(energy) to fill our pets food. Not everyone can feed a bag of dog food that cost $70."

I feed a food that doesn't have any junk carbs in it ( Natural Balance) and there are many others that cost only pennies more than the junk dogfoods. There was a chart I saw a few weeks ago that compared foods like PUrina Dog Chow ( yuck) and then Canidea, and Timber Wold, Innova, etc, and the cost per bag was not that much more for the better foods and when you figured in he fact that less food is required with the non-junk dogfoods, the cost difference was very small.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm sure that's a fact but, I haven't seen any quite that expensive around here. Innova and Eagle Pack isn't nor is Timber Wolf or some of the other better foods. You pay now or you pay later with atrocious vet bills due to the dogs poor health from feeding something like Ol' Roy or Purina for five years and I can guarantee a steady influx of money to the local vet with the dog paying the price.Quality usually is a bit more expensive but cheaper in the long run... ask any Ford owner who now owns a Toyota.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts