Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone here has a dog that experienced this before?

I noticed my dog kept chewing at her right foreleg (been happening for some time). She scratches herself at various places quite frequently too, sometimes she wakes up in the middle of the night to scratch herself then go back to sleep.

Could the little scabs be due to tick bites? I recently found 1 tick on her...

And the huge scab I really don't know what to do with it... she keeps chewing that spot I wonder how it can possibly heal...

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It can't heal if she keeps chewing at it. You need to wrap it or put a cone collar on her or something that will keep her from licking/chewing it. Bitter Apple might help, but some dogs like the taste :p.

And then you have to find out why she's so itchy. Does she have fleas? Maybe an allergy? What's she eating? Does this only happen in spring/summer? What kind of shampoo is used? How often is she bathed?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I vote cone. Cheecho licks his owies to the point of bleeding, so he has to wear a cone when he has a injury

·
Registered
101 Posts
It can't heal if she keeps chewing at it. You need to wrap it or put a cone collar on her or something that will keep her from licking/chewing it. Bitter Apple might help, but some dogs like the taste :p.

And then you have to find out why she's so itchy. Does she have fleas? Maybe an allergy? What's she eating? Does this only happen in spring/summer? What kind of shampoo is used? How often is she bathed?
i was curious about what you meant if it happens only in the spring/summer because my dog scratches a bit more in the summer than any other time of year. he's on flea preventative and during colder months he hardly ever scratches. the amount of scratching he does during the summer isn't excessive. he will just stop and scratch for a second every once in a while; he doesn't persistently scratch all day long. just wondering, could it be allergies or something?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i was curious about what you meant if it happens only in the spring/summer because my dog scratches a bit more in the summer than any other time of year. he's on flea preventative and during colder months he hardly ever scratches. the amount of scratching he does during the summer isn't excessive. he will just stop and scratch for a second every once in a while; he doesn't persistently scratch all day long. just wondering, could it be allergies or something?
He could be scratching from the heat ( I know it sounds strange, but I have a friend, that when she gets hot, she gets itchy) Or he could have an allergy to some kind of plant.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You need to take your dog to the vet. Any dog can have allergies, but Poodles are especially prone to skin problems. What you are describing is a vicious cycle wherein the dog licks due to allergies, injury or stress, licks so much they cause an open sore, then lick because their instincts tell them to lick wounds, making the sore even worse, etc., etc.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It sounds to me like allergies those are the prime allergy seasons for dogs. And some dogs respond differently to allergies. My basset hound gets scabs cause of scratching. Or i should say USE to before we made a plan to prevent his allergies. first I recommend seeing your vet to take care of the initial problem.

Allergies cause itching
Itching can cause scabbing or open sores
Open sores become infected
Dog itches and chews more.

So your goal right now is to heal those scabs which i recommend going to the vet for.
after you get this taken care of here are some tips i give our clients at the vet to help prevent allergies
these should help a lot with the problem. but may still need additional help from the vet occasionally

1) Hills prescription diet D/D it comes in different uncommon combinations such as RICE & EGG, POTATO & SALMON, DUCK & POTATO. its pricey but it will eliminate a lot of the common food allergies right away without having to try a bunch of different combinations. That would be good or get a high quality food like diamond foods naturals or blue buffalo.
2) CLEAN water give your pet filtered or bottled water.
3) build up your dogs immune system. Give him pet vitamins!
4) plain yogurt
5) bathe your dog once a week or once every other week with a hypo allergenic shampoo.
6) wash the dogs bedding if it has a bed
7) only use products from your vet. Especially those that go on the skin. Shampoos and flea treatments specifically

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the advice!

We bathe her almost every week, with a normal dog shampoo. We're actually supposed to use sebolyse, will switch back to sebolyse tomorrow.

She seems to have a tick problem going on. Just found another tick on her last night.

Is this a 'must see vet' situation or something I can take care of with some tick/flea wash and a good vet-prescribed shampoo? I still have a bottle of sebolyse from the vet.

I've been cleaning the scab/wound on her leg and sprayed on antiseptic every night. I'm not sure how that's working.. will check again tonight.

I'm feeding her Wellness Core Original that is grain-free, plus flax seed oil, plus a joint supplement that contains shark cartilage and some extract from mussels.

What are the likely allergens here? I'm thinking it's the joint supplements...

What are the best tick+flea removal solutions? I want those creeps dead, not crawling out of her :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts