Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pepper has been licking herself a lot more than usual lately. I was away for 3 days and when I came back I saw she has this huge red, ugly rash on her underside near her privates. It's started to go up her belly and down her legs a bit too.

I called my vet and made an appointment but the earliest I can get her in is in a week.

Recently I thought she might have had an allergic reaction to a new food we tried. She was coughing and randomly hacking up clear fluids. At the time we thought she had a piece of plastic stuck in her throat because she had gotten into some film plastic a couple days earlier. When it didn't go away after more than a week we took her to the vet who suspected the same thing (plastic). He prescribed an antihistamine to reduce the swelling in her throat so whatever it was could come loose. She had no symptoms while on the pills but as soon as they were finished she started hacking/coughing again. I put her back on her old food and it stopped completely. This was about a month ago.

I guess my question is this - would a food allergy produce a rash that bad and in that location? She's never been allergic to anything before, but I've heard allergies can develop later in life (she's turning 5 next week). Is that true? Would the rash not go away after switching back to her old food?

I tried posting a picture, but my phone is not cooperating.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I guess my question is this - would a food allergy produce a rash that bad and in that location? She's never been allergic to anything before, but I've heard allergies can develop later in life (she's turning 5 next week). Is that true? Would the rash not go away after switching back to her old food?

I tried posting a picture, but my phone is not cooperating.
Yes, and yes. Allergies are the result of a confused immune system, that can occur at any time. An immune system can take so much before it breaks down and becomes dysregulated.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, just went through something like this. Tried Crave dog food with Mouse. about 3 days later it looked like bug bites and a day or 2 after rash that he chewed and licked, stopped feeding him Crave and two weeks after it's slowly going away.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It can also be caused by a yeast infection of a urine scald IF the dog has a recessed vulva. It can show up later in life and is often the result of juvenile spay. In the case of the dog I had with this issue she required episioplasty surgery.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

It can also be caused by a yeast infection of a urine scald IF the dog has a recessed vulva. It can show up later in life and is often the result of juvenile spay. In the case of the dog I had with this issue she required episioplasty surgery.
She was spayed at around 7 months.

I bought a cone for her today so she stops licking it so much. She's terrified of the cone and is just standing there not moving. Poor girl :-(

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it looks a lot worse than it did at the beginning of the week. I think I'm going to start calling it an infection rather than a rash because that's what it looks like at this point. I'm not waiting 4 more days for our vet, I'm taking her in today to see a different vet at the same clinic.

I also bought a cone for her and she's now super depressed :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We went to the vet on Friday, but unfortunately he couldn't say for sure what is causing Pepper's rash either. It could be a few things, but nothing quite matches since she has no other symptoms. She is perfectly healthy otherwise. Our best guess is that it is a food allergy (even though she's not itchy anywhere else). I suspect it started when we tried the new food and we just didn't notice it until now when it got really big and irritated.

So the vet prescribed an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory so we can at least treat the problem. We could try that food again afterwards to see if she reacts again, but if the rash goes away and she's fine I think I'll just leave well enough alone and keep her away from Stella & Chewy's Raw Blend from now on.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's been a few months since Pepper's rash went away, but it's back now! It started out as a spot about the size of a quarter. I've been treating it with a general would spray, but it just keeps getting bigger and is starting to look like it did last time - all black and moist. I made an appointment with our vet, but can't get in for 10 days.

Any ideas?

I can see it now even with her legs closed, before it was hidden.

rash2.jpg

rash1.jpg

·
Registered
935 Posts
Looks like it maybe a mite issue,or whatever there called. You can't see them with the naked eye.

Did the vet take scrapings of the area to check under microscope?

Looks very similar to a buddies dog, he bought a house to renovate and his dogs got them from the old house, forget exact name as it's been a few years.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They took a scraping last time and didn't find anything unusual. I'm sure they do that again when we go in for our next appointment.

Our other dog Kane has no rash at all and didn't get one last time either, so I doubt it's anything contagious.

Of course my biggest fear is cancer, but that's probably just my being paranoid. She does have a lump on her belly that the vet said was fine, but now these weird rashes too...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm very interested in what your vet tells you at your next appointment.

I'm going through similar issues with one of mine. (Thistle)
She's had the blood panel, skin scrapping and just now, skin biopsy.
This past Tuesday, she had a lump removed. It was a cyst.
Maybe that's what Peppers lump is?

And my biggest fear is cancer as well.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm very interested in what your vet tells you at your next appointment.

I'm going through similar issues with one of mine. (Thistle)
She's had the blood panel, skin scrapping and just now, skin biopsy.
This past Tuesday, she had a lump removed. It was a cyst.
Maybe that's what Peppers lump is?

And my biggest fear is cancer as well.
What did your vet say about the rash? They just don't know what it is?

Our vet said Pepper's lump was just a fatty lump (not sure the proper term). He said it was nothing to worry about and that it would probably get bigger yet too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My vet just doesn't know. Everything came back normal. She's a healthy dog.
The only thing I can come up with, is that maybe it is an environmental seasonal allergy.

It's so frustrating.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So by the time we got to our appointment this morning Pepper's rash was mostly dried up and is now just mostly a black dry patch. But I took her in anyway and the vet said it was likely just something that initially irritated her (itchy skin or something) and she just kept licking it creating the rash. He suggested it might be an obsessive habit or she could be licking it out of boredom (which is possible - she does stay home alone most work days). He said the black is just loss of pigment and her normal colour will slowly return. I mentioned cancer and he pretty much said that isn't it.
He checked her lump again and said it's just a lump and nothing to worry about.

The vet prescribed Vanectyl-P tablets to clear up what is there and also Viaderm cream so if I see it starting again I can apply the cream to hopefully prevent it from getting out of hand.

So while I feel better that it's nothing serious, I'm still not sure what's causing it. I might switch laundry detergent - I don't know. I was thinking of switching back to raw food too, but it's so expensive to feed two big dogs. Maybe I'll do mornings raw and afternoons kibble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts