Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iorek's tummy is finally fully acclimatized to raw food. waaahoo! i gave him a meal of all meat (beef heart) last week and he had a nice, fully formed poopy the next day :) there was a time that if i fed him like that he would be having bummy baths the next day for sure!

so, i was thinking that i would give him one meal a week (he eats only once a day) that is all meat. what do you think? i don't know if he could handle 2 meals a week that were all meat, but i could try it. i am feeding him 1 1/2 lbs a day now to get his weight up and i have added just extra meat to get the extra food. i think that his diet is much more balanced now. maybe his tummy just took a little longer to get used to the raw since he was so long (his first 10 1/2 months!) with constant tummy issues.

i am so happy with feeding raw. i am so happy we finally took the plunge! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad he has finally acclimatized to the raw food. All dogs react different to the change. Zoe didn't have any problems at all, she not once had a runny stool. Now Zeus on the other hand took awhile to get use to the raw food.
I can't see the one all meat meal a week causing any problems. I don't do it but I'm sure some do. I try and have a balanced meal everyday, evey meal. Somedays I can't do that cause I run out of one thing so I just make it up the following day.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i usually try to balance it out over a week. iorek really did well on raw right from the start, it was just a meal of all meat that would cause loose stool. he needed more bone than what was recommended for quite a while. i may have been able to do it earlier but i was a little nervous to try. he kind of forced it on me last week. i gave him a lb of beef heart and then he was going to chew a beef neck bone for a bit, or at least that was my plan but he didn't want it. i guess he knows his tummy better than i do ;)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
An all organ meal a week is just fine. I try to feed one meal of heart every week, and one meal of a random other organ a week.

One really easy way to counteract the C:p ratio change is to buy whole chickens and cut out the breasts for yourself. Many times you can get whole chickens for .80$ a pound, and get cheap breasts out of the deal for yourself.

Glad to hear it's all working out for you now. Rocky had a ton of trouble the first time we swapped over (extremely mucousy and occaisionally bloody stool, massive shedding), but now he can go between kibble and raw at will with no ill side effects. I don't even bother with an adjustment period any more. Over 4th of July, he even went to ol' roy for 4 days (that's what my dad feeds.... long story), and the only side effect was his poop being 3x as big.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Isn't it funny the things we get excited about! LOL Congratulations!

I went all meat cold turkey, expecting poop problems, but they didn't have any. I've been buying the whole chickens and sitting down with a cleaver and having a blast! LOL That way I can adjust the meat to bone ratio for each dog. Now if I could just get B'asia and Mia to eat their chicken livers...

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought that heart is considered a muscle meat and not an organ?

i am planning on getting whole chickens very soon. they are on sale here for 1.99/lb and that is a super good deal for chicken around here. (canada is much more expensive!!) i didn't realize i could take out the breast, i thought i should leave it in for more meat? i thought if i fed the whole animal it would be the perfect balance of meat/bone/organ? i know that there are not as many things in a chicken you buy in the store but it still comes with some of the things. i was planning on getting a 3 lb chicken and chopping it in 1/2 and feeding it like that. is that ok?

also, when the snow comes i am getting rabbit (my friend wants me to call them hares since she has 2 pet bunnies) from a friend of mine - i will buy the license and he will do the work. so i was planning on getting him to skin them and then just giving the rest as it is, not gutting them at all. is that ok? i know that he can probably eat the fur too but i can't do it, i can't give a furry little bunny - or 1/2 of one :eek: - to my dog to eat! i know that i have to freeze them for a month before feeding them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts