Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some great news! The Ad Council is gearing up to make a big advertising blitz on behalf of shelter pets. The HSUS and Maddie's Fund are also contributing.

The Ad Council is the group responsible for 'The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste' ads, and other public-service commercials that I'm sure many of us can still remember to this day. Basically, they're pros at spreading a message far and wide! This can only be a great improvement for shelter pet PR, and hopefully it will improve adoption rates all around! So stay tuned. :cool:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They did research into the top reasons why people choose not to adopt from shelters, and found that most of them are based on misconceptions about shelter animals. So they hope that by educating people better, they can get those people to adopt without fear. =)

So far, most shelter ads have just been really sad and tried to make people feel bad for the animals, which they discovered doesn't actually make everyone that sees them want to ADOPT them. So that's why they're changing tactics.

If they can double the number of people who adopt every year (from the current 4 million), and they could basically ELIMINATE euthanasia of adoptable animals all together (because more people actually get new pets every year than the number of shelter animals killed). So there is great reason to hope for the best. =)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I hope the comercials don't try and sugar coat everything eather though, and mislead into thinks all shelter dogs are perfect lol.

Kinda like how some pro "pit bull" people go way over the top and make it seem like ALL "pit bulls" are perfect loveable little angles ALL the time XD.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I must agree with the above poster...I really really hope they don't sugar coat shelters and adoption.And here is why I say this in my area there is about a 50/50 split with shelters that do ANY temperament testing at all on adoptable dogs.I recently went to one of the shelter's because they have a young american bulldog that we would like to adopt the only thing holding me back I have young and older children and they do no temprament testing beside's a health check and neuter/spay (they keep all the dogs in one area so the risk of diease is high too for the dogs I already own). When I questioned the fact that they have an application and 5 page in dept check on me and my family. Yet have no temprament or behavior testing for the dogs they looked at me like I was nuts.I actually had a friend of mine that had her hand torn up by a dog and almost lost it because a shelter didn't want to put the dog down and adopted it out to her knowing that it was an agressive dog.

So I guess my point is this, I really think there needs to be a standarized Temperament and behavior test that all shelters,rescues ect.. should be required by law to have done on every adoptable dog before they meet the public or are adopted out (or they are held liable) .I think this should be common sense but it seems as though not every group shelter ect is having testing done.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree that some kind of baseline standard should be applied to animal shelters as a whole. As it is now, basically each shelter does it's own thing it's own way, and some are frankly not doing as good a job as they could.

The fact this ad campaign is trying to address, however, is that the majority of pet owners (around 80%) do not even consider the animal shelter when they decide to get a pet. Just because some shelters aren't that great doesn't mean that people shouldn't look at ANY shelters at all. Because they're not all the same.

The old ad campaigns for shelters made people feel bad, but it didn't combat the misconceptions many people seem to have that all shelter animals are 'broken' in some way. That's why they're spending $100 million to educate people that most animals are in shelters because of people, not because the animal is defective in some way and won't make a good pet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Halleluha! I've been arguing this for years. All of us involved in shelter, rescue and adoption feel so bad for the dogs that we project that sadness to the public. We assume that the public will adopt for the same reason that we rescue. Absolutely wrong!

The public just wants a good family dog at a reasonable price. Sure, the fact that they are "saving a life" is a factor, but it's not the primary factor.

Especially right now when shelters and rescues are full of perfectly good family pets who have been given up for financial reasons.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maddie's Fund has put up a page on the 'Shelter Pet Project' here, which breaks down the demographics of potential pet owners in the U.S., and how many more animals need to be adopted per day in every shelter in order to eliminate the need to kill any more animals for lack of homes.

Basically, if this ad campaign can raise the average 'adopted per day' number from the current rate of 2 or 3, up to 5 per day, every adoptable animal in the U.S. will be saved. There is a lot of reason for hope!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts