Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got our 8 week old mini schnauzer on May 10th and within a few days had him using potty pad with 75 % success. THEN hubby messed it up. He forced Romeo to stay on pad for at least 15 20 minutes while he kept saying go potty :brick:

Now Romeo goes under the table bench in dinning room as he knows none of us can get him while he is back there.

So I am pretty much starting over - GRRRRRRRR!

I trained him by catching him in action and put him on the potty pad and saying "go potty" and giving him a treat even if he did not go (he is so little still he usually only pees/poos very small amounts, so by the time I caught him in action he was done lol) potty, within a few days he figured out that the pad was a good thing and started to use it on his own.

Now go potty command makes him freeze up as does the pad. However about 3 times a day when no one is looking he will pee and/or poo on the pad totally on his own. So maybe all is not lost.

I did not kennel train him and now wonder if I try that method if he will view it as punishment. Also he does not like his kennel. Kind of. When we put him in it when we go away ( 3 hrs is the longest he has been alone so far) he cries and whines but only until he realizes no one is around to hear him fussing lol then he stops when he sees we are gone and not watching his show. We shut the door like we are leaving and stand where he can't see us and listen. When we return back home, he is totally OK to wait several minutes to be let back out. In my opinion this is going well. We live in a 8 unit town house building and NO whining ongoing is tolerated and is reason to be evicted, so I am THRILLED how well he is doing. BUT I am now worried if I go to kennel train him as our local dog trainer has strongly suggested we will lose ground with the kennel. She wants me to put him in there at ALL times unless I am playing with him or taking him out to go on the potty pad :(

After being here 4+ weeks and having pretty much free range I worry this will end good behavior and start new bad behaviors?

Right now (as of yesterday) I have him "tied" to myself. I got a 15' long soft leash and looped it around me and clipped it to his harness. Now he goes where I go. He does not mind this at all BUT I can't do everything I need to do (dress, bathroom etc) with him hooked to me. The times he is not hooked to me is when he goes under the table bench. It amazes me how long this bum can hold his pee/poo ;)

Can anyone please give me some help with this issue?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Can you retrain him to go outside using a command other than "potty"? It might be that simple.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think you're on track with the way you're going now. Tethering him to you is a great idea, but if there are times that you need to crate him (for dressing, showering, etc.) then crating him would be perfectly OK. The general rule for the maximum length of time in hours to crate at one go is your puppy's age in months plus one. So it he's 8 weeks, he shouldn't be crated for more than 3 hours without a break.I think you can find a happy medium between your current method and the crate. Just make sure that the puppy keeps a good association with the crate. You can do this the same way you did with getting him to go to the pad...he goes in the crate, he gets a tiny treat. Also, never acknowledge him while he whining. Ignore him completely and only let him out when he's quiet.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Amary - He "must" be trained to go on pad inside first. I have a spine injury and can not always take him outside. When the potty pad is a complete success I will start taking him out when possible. When ever I take him outside now to go some where in the car he immediately heads for the grass and always pees and often poos - so I think that part will be easy :) However I do think maybe I need to use your idea and change the command words.

Cand - TY! I feel better. I never even thought to mix the 2 ideas up :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There you go! I've had to retrain dogs to other words when, for whatever reason, the standard word stresses the dog.

They also have a thing called a "pet loo", which is like a litter box with fake grass on it. That might be a solution, along with another potty command.

Also, I hope your back gets better soon. Back problems are the worst.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I trained my dog by keeping him hooked to me when feasible and then when not, he was put in the crate. There are no other options until the pup is trained. Is there any reason it is not being trained to go outside? Is there not a yard or patio for him to go in? Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts