Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

HSUS offering university degrees

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  LoupGarouTFTs 
#1 ·
Story Here

What are your thoughts on this? The comments below that article are also somewhat interesting/amusing to read.

#4 ·
EVERYONE needs to stay away from anything that has to do with the HSUS. If they get what they want then all of your animals. Dogs, cats, birds, fish, etc. will be put to sleep and it will be illegal to own anything not human. They are fanatics with nothing better to do than try to run everyone else's lives. Pass the word on. Americans need to stand up to these orginizations and let them know we are not going to take it anymore. Our pets are family and they are messing with your canine kids. If we dont then you can kiss our beloved pets goodbye soon.

#7 · (Edited)
Any organization run by a man who says this:

“We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding. One generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.” Wayne Pacelle, Senior VP of Humane Society of the US, formerly of Friends of Animals and Fund for Animals, Animal People, May, 1993.

and

“I don’t have a hands-on fondness for animals…To this day I don’t feel bonded to any non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and I’m kind to them, but there’s no special bond between me and other animals.” Wayne Pacelle, of the Humane Society of the United States, quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 251.

...Is an organization any pet-loving person should avoid touching with a 10-foot pole. Support your LOCAL shelters and rescues, volunteer your time and money to help to animals in your own communities, don't waste your resources on the HSUS which doesn't even run a shelter and that spends most of it's money on ads to raise more money to make more ads. =P

#9 · (Edited)
You judge an entire organisation by what one person said 15 years ago while in his twenties?
And that has hired unrepentant former ALF members to high level positions within the organisation? You bet I do.
I don't need to get into another argument over the HSUS with you Kasey, I know full well your opinion. :rolleyes:

#14 ·
In my opinion those that support HSUS fall into 3 basic categories:

1. Animal Rights extremists
2. Those ignorant of HSUS's true agenda
3. Contrarians who may not actually support the agenda and may even be ignorant of it but who just like to take the opposite stand in any debate or argument.

#16 ·
If even half of the stuff in the article that JohnnyBandit is true, then I would have to guess that the vast majority of donors sending money to HSUS fall under skelaki's category 2.

Do you think a significant percentage of the donors who sent 100s of millions to HSUS realized that "In 2002, the multi-million-dollar conglomerate gave less than $150,000 to hands-on humane societies and animal shelters."? I don't.

While I don't agree with the majority of their agenda, I don't see any problem with them pursuing it. I think their underhanded fund raising tactics are what makes them despicable.

#18 ·
HSUS - anti-pet organization that collects money to further their own political agendas and pay themselves nice salaries. Actual, REAL animals helped: zero (or close to it).

They can keep their "degrees"

It really irks me that their "leader" owns greyhounds.

#21 ·
I think it's sad that people don't realize that donating to HSUS doesn't support their local Humane Society in any way. I was at the local HS today to walk some dogs, and an older lady came in to make a donation......she said she "didn't want to mail it because she didn't need any more of those mailing labels", and of course the local HS doesn't send you labels, only HSUS does that.

Which means that all these years she's been giving to HSUS thinking that her money was going to help local animals, but it wasn't. Sad. I think HSUS needs to make it clear that they aren't affiliated with any local shelters, or else they're just being fradulent.

#23 ·
Is anybody here going to discuss the ramifications of this new development? I want a bit of a thinktank.
Will employers take this degree program seriously? Will they take it too seriously? Is it some kind of HSUS brainwashing or will it actually help animal lovers in pursuit of an education?
I know I'd love an education revolving around animal behavior and such but I won't touch most of the programs I've encountered with a ten foot pole.(I hate math and most science)

#24 ·
Will employers take this degree program seriously?
I didn't know anything about the HSUS when I first looked at the link, but when I read the following paragraph, I concluded that it was a joke:
Across the three majors, all students would take two courses: Animal Protection as a Social Movement and Animals and Ethics. The animal studies major is intended to be interdisciplinary in nature, and the core courses include Understanding the Human Animal Bond, Sociology of Animal Abuse, Animals in Literature, Global Animal Issues, and Animal Protection and the Environment. Core courses for the animal policy and advocacy major, meanwhile, include Research Methods for Humane Change, Animals and Public Policy, and Animals, Advocacy and Corporate Change
This isn't university education; its a training course to fulfill someone's particular political agenda. Boot camp for wacko animal activists. If you want education, teach people about animal physiology, animal psychology, agricultural methods involving animals, the structure and economics of the pet and livestock industries, how animals are used in testing etc and then after they actually know something and go and work for 10 years in the field, then they should start worrying about 'global animal issues' and advocacy.

I don't see why any employer would take this seriously. What value does it bring to an employer?

#25 ·
Peppy, my guess would be that if we looked at the early days of Women's Studies curricula that we would not take that degree seriously either. I suspect that someone would say precisely what you just said about the HSUS degree, that it was self-serving and existed only to further an agenda--and yet look at how many people take that degree to be a serious one.

As far as bringing value to an employer, I also suspect that is brings exactly to employers what the organization wishes it to bring. I doubt that it's intended to be brainwashing, although it could serve as brainwashing if students are on the fence about the animal issue. Rather, I suspect that this degree is intended to churn out an organized body of lobbyists--paid for by all taxpayers' money!--and to produce a body of "legitimate businessmen" (and women), who will perform questionable acts in favor of HSUS. If this degree is an undergraduate degree, after all, it can be used to precede studying for a law degree, which makes me wonder if it's not just the next organized step that logically proceeds from the waters that they tested with the many forms anti-dog/anti-pet/anti-breeder legislation that they sponsored or co-sponsored this year. If this degree is a "joke," then it is a very bad one and we, as pet owners, need to be very afraid of the punch line.

Reactions: peppy264
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.