1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These people are not going away:

Group of Congressmen to Advocate Animal Rights Agenda
2/19/09

The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) couldn’t be happier with the formation of a new group of Congressmen that will promote its agenda.

On February 18, U.S. Representatives Jim Moran (D- VA) and Elton Gallegy (R- CA) announced the formation of a new Congressional Animal protection Caucus. The goal of the group is to get like-minded members of Congress together and promote animal rights policy in Washington, D.C. through forums and briefings.

According to the Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF), the legislative wing of the HSUS, the new caucus will “take lawmaking for the animals to the next level.” HSLF went on to gush in its blog, “we could not be more
excited about their leadership of this new organization of humane lawmakers.”

HSUS President and CEO, Wayne Pacelle was also prominently quoted in Rep. Moran’s press release announcing the caucus’ formation.

Pacelle stated, “The newly constituted Congressional Animal Protection Caucus will help better align our federal policies with public opinion, and we are excited to work closely with its leaders and with the entire
Congress to combat cruelty and abuse."

As of press time, a full list of other U.S. Representatives joining the caucus was not available. However, the USSA will let sportsmen know as the names become available. Each member of the caucus should be contacted by constituents in their districts.

Representatives should be made aware of HSUS’ radical anti-hunting agenda. They also need to be aware that sportsmen expect their representatives not to cow tow to that agenda.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The biggest reason the HSUS is such a threat, is that they have many legislators, shelters, and officials convinced that they 'speak for the pet owner's behalf, and for 'pet welfare'. Their PR and their millions of dollars give them this veneer of respectability that, like with PETA, many regular folks have no clue as to their real nature.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Animal rights is good, but isn't the HSUS just as bad as PeTA? unless I'm mistaken, isn't their goal to ultimately end animal ownership and to eliminate "breeds"? (I'm kinda ignorant on this subject, but I'm learning as I go.)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Animal Welfare (Ensuring animals are treated humanely) is good, but Animal Rights = Treating animals like humans and giving them the same legal status.

And yea, HSUS is run by many AR people and agrees with PETA on many things, particularly the idea that keeping animals as pets is cruel.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Oh... I didn't know that there was a difference between Animal Welfare and Animal Rights...
What does AR mean? (I'm not good with abreaviations(sp)) It took me about 2 weeks to finally figure out what OP meant. lol

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
AR is Animal Rights =)

It took me awhile to learn all the abbreviations too... they're always new ones popping up on the internet!

·
Banned
572 Posts
No, they're not going away anytime soon. It's very scary how rapidly the AR movement has spread in the past 8-9yrs. The main problem was that good breeders bought into much of the animal rights propoganda, without realizing what the underlying agenda was. Unfortunately, once we all realized, oh ... these people do not want humans to keep ANY animal as a pet ... it was too late. The damage is being done as we speak, much of it cannot be reversed if we continue on with this apathy.

Pet owners need to stop donating to places like ASPCA, PETA, HSUS, Best Friends Animal Shelter, etc. and start donating to your local AC or humane society/breed rescue. If you want to help dogs, send your money to the people that are actively engaged in legitimate rescue or shelters. Volunteer, donate. But keep your donations out of the hands of these sickos. They are not using their donations to help animals. The ASPCA receives multi millions in donations, yet their hospital is small, poorly staffed and has no more technology than my local hole in the wall Vet. I have been to Vet clinics in the south Bronx that were more state of the art! Where is the money going, then? Why, it goes to outward appearances, cosmetic changes, and in the pocket of their Vets, managers, employees. I was at the ASPCA in '01, then again last year. No difference. They have dogs behind glass now. Bigh whoop.

PETA uses ZERO percent of their donated funds to do anything besides put on assanine protests and euthanize the dogs taken in on their so called "adoption drives".
www.petakillsanimals.com

You can put the ARs out of comission AND help animals by choosing to donate to other sources. Support legitimate organizations such as consumer affairs and the American Sporting Dog Alliance, both dedicated to giving the public the truth about the ARs.
www.americansportingdogalliance.org

And threads such as this, which raise the awareness of the animal rights vs animal welfare movement are essential! Thanks for posting this and keeping us all up to speed :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Best Friends Animal Shelter, etc. ......They are not using their donations to help animals.
Aw, dang, what's wrong with Best Friends? They actually run a sanctuary, right?

·
Banned
572 Posts
Unfortunately, Best Friends, while they are an animal sanctuary, are openly affiliated with AR organizations such as HSUS. It would be nice if they offered sanctuary to animals without being tangled in politics, but because of their stance on animal rights, they are not an org I support. Another thing to consider is that these people, while they do take in great, adoptable animals, also take in "sympathy cases" such as extremely aggressive dogs that have a bite record. Since they are adamant about ending "homeless" pets, I cannot understand why any legit org would give sanctuary to animals with bite records when we have awesome dogs that are being gassed in Anytown, USA. Unfortunately, those dogs do not get them publicity & donation$.

Best Friends supports BSL, mandatory s/n, and the abolition of ALL breeders.

As an interesting side note, one of their founders/board members was caught up in a Satanic cult before founding the organization.

Some Best Friend links you may find handy :)

http://www.thedogplace.org/Articles/Projects/0610.BestFriends.Summit.htm

Offer up other type of legislation as an alternative to BSL (breed-specific legislation), such as breeder/breeding restrictions, anti-tethering laws (does the name Tammy Grimes ring a bell? Yes, Ms. Grimes attended as a guest speaker. Her motivation behind anti-tethering laws is that she was bitten by a tethered dog)
Formulate breeder/breeding restrictions - didn't get into specifics - did mention mandatory registration of breeders and licensing. (called them "exploitive" breeders). Sounds good on the surface for curtailing BYB, puppy mills but this one really scared me
Consider dogs as part of the family and nothing more - the BFAS person went on to talk about the "cruelty" of dog events. No more dog shows - conformation or performance, folks!
Push guardian language in any type of animal ordinances, do away with dog "ownership"; elevating animals, specifically dogs, to the same level as humans Craft public service announcements (no focal point at this time) - talked about educating the public about safety around dogs
Push mandatory temperament testing
Push mandatory spay/neuter - any dogs that were not registered breeding dogs would fall into this requirement. Gee, I guess those of us that show in conformation but don't breed would either have to get a breeder's license or stop showing and spay/neuter our dogs.
Push the Brandenburg Edict (** See Below) - this was coming from BFAS's attorney - he evaded the issue of the breed specific language as well as the height/weight restrictions. If you haven't read the Brandenburg Edict, you need to. Close to 20 breeds are automatically classified as dangerous dogs as are any dog over 15 inches or weighing more that 44 pounds.

http://www.thedogpress.com/Columns/Jade/06_BestFriendsHist.Pt1_10.htm

You should be VERY afraid of Best Friends ...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't care what their previous/current religious proclivities are.....if there was animal cruelty involved, maybe they're trying to make up for it. Lots of people did stupid things in their youth. And in that link the writer seems to be defending dog fighting. Or at least isn't against it.

I dunno. I'd have to read up on it (if I can find unbiased sources) before I could believe that Best Friends is bad. I can't disagree with them taking in hopeless cases, either---what are sanctuaries for?

·
Registered
84 Posts
So do away with dog "ownership" isn't really about taking away dogs from owners? It's about elevating dogs to no longer be just "property"?

Once again the extreme wording had me assuming the worst.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
It is about taking away OUR right to own an animal in ANY form, as a pet, livestock or a as a working animal (service dogs, Therapy dogs ect) they look at all as a form of slavery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you so much for posting about this!

I just shared the news and awareness by posting the link to this thread on my Facebook and MySpace, as well as writing my Senators and Congressman!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
On February 18, U.S. Representatives Jim Moran (D- VA) and Elton Gallegy (R- CA) announced the formation of a new Congressional Animal protection Caucus.
I'm not familiar with Gallegy, but Jim Moran may very well be the dumbest person to currently occupy a seat in the United States Congress.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I defy you to find me one piece of HSUS documentation to support this.
I think there are enough VERY PUBLIC quotes by the heads of these organizations out there to suport my view. They've been posted all over this board, look them up.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A little bit more on the topic. They are apparently aligning themselve with "animal welfare," which if you look at the HSUS site, they have started labeling themselves as an "animal welfare" organization as well, despite their radical stance and history of being an animal rights organization. Because I doubt that the HSUS is sotening its stance one iota, particularly in light of the legislation that they are sponsoring, I can only believe that they are planning a new campaign of lies and deception that is intended to fool the general public.

For Immediate Release:
February 18, 2009

202-225-4376

Moran and Gallegly to Co-Chair Congressional Animal Protection Caucus

WASHINGTON, D.C., February 18, 2009 - Reps. Jim Moran (D-VA) and Elton
Gallegly (R-CA) announced today that they will co-chair the newly formed
"Congressional Animal Protection Caucus (CAPC)," a bipartisan organization
committed to raising awareness of animal welfare issues in Congress. CAPC
replaces the Friends of Animals Caucus that existed in previous Congresses.

Through non-partisan forums and briefings, CAPC will seek to highlight
important issues affecting animals and upcoming animal welfare legislation.
CAPC will also track the progress of relevant legislation, provide members
of Congress with dependable information, and attempt to build broad
coalitions in support of common-sense, humane animal welfare laws.

In the 110th Congress, the caucus was instrumental in the passing tougher
animal fighting legislation, and tightening animal welfare regulations in
the 2008 Farm Bill. Priorities for the 111th Congress include legislation
banning the slaughter of horses, stronger regulations on Internet sales of
puppies, and legislation requiring accurate labels on all fur products.

Rep. Moran stated, "Animals are sensate beings that deserve to be treated
with respect and dignity. I look forward to building a consensus among my
colleagues in support of sensible animal welfare laws that reflect our
common values. Protecting animals from cruel treatment is not a partisan
issue."

"Animal cruelty has no place in a civilized society," Rep. Gallegly said.
"Other crimes often go hand-in-hand with animal fighting, including illegal
gambling, drug trafficking and acts of human violence. Virtually every
arrest for animal cruelty has also led to additional arrests for at least
one of these criminal activities."

"The American public is united in its belief that all animals deserve humane
treatment," said Wayne Pacelle, President and CEO of The Humane Society of
the United States. "The newly constituted Congressional Animal Protection
Caucus will help better align our federal policies with public opinion, and
we are excited to work closely with its leaders and with the entire Congress
to combat cruelty and abuse."

http://moran.house.gov/list/press/v...n/Animals.shtml

Susan Wolf

Southern Sheltie Directory

www.southernsheltie.net

North Carolina Responsible Animal Owners Alliance (NCRAOA)

www.ncraoa.com

Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance (SAOVA)

www.saova.org

The Safe Kids/Safe Dogs Project
http://www.SafeKidsSafeDogs.com

Webmaster for United Shetland Sheepdog Association
http://www.UnitedShelties.com

·
Banned
894 Posts
I think there are enough VERY PUBLIC quotes by the heads of these organizations out there to suport my view. They've been posted all over this board, look them up.
I did, none of them represent the published views of the HSUS.

HSUS on breeders:

Reputable breeders care where their puppies go and interview hopeful adopters. They don't ever sell through pet stores or to families they haven't thoroughly checked out.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_adoption_information/buying_a_puppy/

HSUS board approved statement on conpanion animals:
http://www.hsus.org/about_us/statements/statement_on_companion.html

Wayne Pacelle on pet keeping:

In the ensuing years, my comments on that occasion have been willfully distorted as part of efforts to paint me falsely as an opponent of pet keeping and the keeping of other domesticated animals. It serves a kind of motivational function for cockfighters, dogfighters, safari hunters, trappers, puppy millers and others who wish to caricature the views of The HSUS and to deflect attention from their own conduct. Most recently, it has come up a number of times during the debate over a bill in the state legislature in California, A.B. 1634, to establish a state policy to promote spaying and neutering of dogs and cats. Their claim here is that this bill is part of a larger strategy to eliminate pet keeping—and that is demonstrably false.
http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
"Human care (of animals) is simply sentimental, sympathetic patronage."
(Dr. Michael W. Fox, HSUS, in 1988 Newsweek interview)

http://abraxasbostons.com/AnimalRights.html

One of the Animal Rightist's current campaigns is the attempt to change the term "owner" to "guardian." People who have pets will no longer "own" them, but be their "guardian" instead. This may seem like an innocuous distinction, but it is a potentially dangerous one. The term "guardian" already has a legal definition, which would not be altered by including animals. The legal term refers to temporary caretakers who are court appointed to care for children or adults who are not responsible to care for themselves. Therefore, the state retains all rights over the one receiving the care. The state can dictate all standards of care, as well as revoke the guardian's status whenever it determines that the guardian is not doing their job properly.

In other words, pet owners would not be free to make their own decisions for their animals regarding housing, feeding, training, breeding, euthanasia, spaying or neutering. Guardianship leaves the animal owner with all the duties, including financial, of caring for the animal, but removes their right to make decisions regarding that care.

Animal rights groups are very eager to have these guardianship laws so they can dictate care, remove animals from their owners, and make ownership so difficult and legally precarious that people will avoid having animals at all. This would be a big step towards the animal rights extremist's stated goal of ending pet ownership completely.

One of the most well known animal rights groups is the Humane Society of the United States(HSUS). Most people believe this organization supports and helps fund nationwide animal shelters. The truth is that the HSUS, who calls itself an "animal protection" agency, does not operate or have direct control over any animal shelter and is not affiliated with any local humane societies.

"[T]he Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is not affiliated with, nor is it a parent organization for, local humane societies, animal shelters, or animal care and control agencies …… The HSUS does not operate or have direct control over any animal shelter." From a 2001 disclaimer issued by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)

And please read this interview witha prominent AR magazine, it's downrght scary.
http://www.satyamag.com/jun05/pacelle.html

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
well I better get Hawkweye and Kechara some Herding titles while I still can. before sheep herding becomes a

"crule and inhumane blood sport, in which a preditory animal in placed in a cage with a prey animal and allowed to torture the prey"

I really am scared that this may happen

1 - 20 of 66 Posts