Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Laura (or Clusterflux :p), I am 23 and recently graduated from college. I have two degrees, an AAS. in Digital Imagining and Design Technology, and an AAS. in Web Development Technology - in other words, I'm a geek. I currently work for the college I graduated from as a part time contractor, I design virtual education environments in the free online community called Second Life; it's basically an open source version of The Sims. When I'm not busy designing classrooms and educational environments in Second Life I tend to spend my time reading (fantasy and autobiographies mostly), watching M.A.S.H. re-runs at 4 a.m., and here very recently, learning about rehabilitation dogs.

I have owned two dogs in my life, Sunala Harmony (Nala), a mixed breed I had for 15 years who recently passed away last month, and Rumor Sage who is mostly red heeler, but also has some other mixed in, and I have had him for 10 years. Finally, in a few weeks I will be adopting a little boy puppy, mixed breed, brindle in color. Rumor has kind of become my mom's dog, so he will be staying with her to keep her company, but the new puppy will be moving with me.

I have a goal I want to work towards with my new puppy, which is part of the reason I wanted to become involved in a dog community. My grandmother passed away in January of this year, but before she passed away she was living in a retirement home. When we visited her there, I realized how rarely other residents get visitors, and how much I wanted to brighten their day, like I did with my grandma. I also saw how on the pet rehab day, the residents seemed to really open up around the dogs that came to visit them, which is what decided me on this current goal. I want to train my new puppy in dog rehabilitation, so I can take him to retirement homes, and possibly hospitals. I know this is a major undertaking, and that it will require a lot of dedication and training. My boss is a dog fanatic, she rescues dogs from all over america, and trains them for rehab as well as competitions, so she is helping me learn everything I can before my puppy comes home. But I thought broadening my connections in the dog community might also help me in my endeavor.

So I plan to spend a lot of time reading through these forums for all the information I can get, and will probably end up with a few hundred questions - I'll try to not be too annoying. :)

Well, I guess that's it for now... I hope everyone has a great day!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome to DF! That sounds like a great goal and I admire you for it. Make sure to post lots of pictures of your puppy when you get him! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts