Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is just a funny ending to a scary situation. So I got hom from school and like always, let Hallie out to use the bathroom. Little did I know my mom had left the garage door open and Hallie stole the opportunity to escape. I went outside but didn't see anything! There's an overgrown field behind our house where she usually goes when she's loose but on the deck you can see every part of the field and a white dog doesn't exactly blend in easily. So I check the field, and...nothing. So at this point I'm having one of those "Oh my gosh my dog is gone" owner moments. My heart is racing because she's never really been out of my sight for more than 10 minutes, and I live in the city. I have all these images of her trotting down the road with cars and strangers in my head. I run inside to get dog treats in a final attempt to lure her to me wherever she might be. Finally I see brown,white, and black...but you'll never guess where. In my neighbors fenced in yard it's not over yet though, she was standing on top of their pool! the have a cloth cover on their pool to keep the leaves out when they don't use it and and Hallie was standing on the cloth cover IN THE MIDDLE OF THE POOL! We don't know our neighbors that well so I knocked on their door to ask if I could retrieve my runaway beagle who was standing in the middle of their inground expensive looking pool with sharp nails that could easily tear the thin cover. Well they weren't home. I was just happy to find my girl was safe and less than 100 feet away from home, so I hop the fence and somehow manage to thrust 26lb Hallie over a 6ft fence (i'm 5'3) and then jump it myself. Finally she's in her crate and I'm trying to make my jumping over the neighbors' fence look casual and not like I was a theif. Well in the end she was safe and so was the pool and best of all my heart beat returned to normal. :rolleyes: Just thought I would share my crazy dog story!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Phew! that could've been bad!
my cousin had something like that happen with her dachshund. They let him out, and some woman stopped and told them that their dog was running around on their pool (they keep one of those solar heating things on it). Had she not stopped, Haunz probably would've drown. The poor thing cant' swim; his legs are too short, so he just rolls over.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I don't know much about beagles but I know a little about 5'3" humans. I can see how you got over the fence (still an impressive feat) but how did the beagle??? Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Our first Beagle got out once and though I searched I could not find her. Like the OP I had my heart in my throat. Finally, I thought I heard her crying and lo and behold she was in the neighbors fenced in yard as well. I figure she must have crawled under the fence behind her nose lol. I also, had to knock on the neighbors door and have their permission to go in and get my dog. They did not look impressed :(

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phew! that could've been bad!
my cousin had something like that happen with her dachshund. They let him out, and some woman stopped and told them that their dog was running around on their pool (they keep one of those solar heating things on it). Had she not stopped, Haunz probably would've drown. The poor thing cant' swim; his legs are too short, so he just rolls over.
That's good that they got Haunz! I know the comic ending to our little adventure could've turned into a bad one really fast. I'm just glad I got my girl back!

I don't know much about beagles but I know a little about 5'3" humans. I can see how you got over the fence (still an impressive feat) but how did the beagle??? Did you figure it out?
Actually no! I've thought about it and even looked at the fence and I have no clue as to how she got over there! Our neighbor has two Shibas so his fence is secure :confused:. They weren't in the fence at the time so I thought maybe he'd left the gate open then not seen Hallie and shut it but there wasn't time for that and he didnt' answer the door!

Our first Beagle got out once and though I searched I could not find her. Like the OP I had my heart in my throat. Finally, I thought I heard her crying and lo and behold she was in the neighbors fenced in yard as well. I figure she must have crawled under the fence behind her nose lol. I also, had to knock on the neighbors door and have their permission to go in and get my dog. They did not look impressed :(
Lol! Apparently beagles have a thing for fenced in yards! it's probably a good thing my neighbors didn't answer their door. Well at least you got your dog back!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
You would be surprised at how small of a hole a dog can squeeze through. You might want to check your fence again...I had an escape artist and it amazed me at what she could fit through. I'm just glad you were able to get her. And I too am amazed that you got her over the fence...you be one strong woman!:cool:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would be surprised at how small of a hole a dog can squeeze through. You might want to check your fence again...I had an escape artist and it amazed me at what she could fit through. I'm just glad you were able to get her. And I too am amazed that you got her over the fence...you be one strong woman!:cool:
I was thinking it might be a small little hole or something and I think I may have found it! There was a little weak spot in the fence where it could barely be pushed out a bit and there was a little rabbit trail going under the fence. It still looks too small but it's all I could find! Haha yeah maybe carrying all those books and working out years ago finally paid off ;)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
If you have a chain link fence that is the least bit loose, that's how she did it. I'm telling you a 25# dog could fit through a small hole like you wouldn't believe. Better safe than sorry...plug that sucker up quick!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
LOL Was Hallie looking a bit proud of herself? Tiny hole or no tiny hole, it's quite an impressive feat. Glad that she didn't run off to anywhere scary... just the middle of a swimming pool!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts